1 2 3
Toyman!
Toyman! GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/26/22 9:34 a.m.

Or am I losing my mind? 

We have been buying Grade A Large Eggs forever. It sure seems like they have gotten smaller over the last several years. 

It doesn't seem to be a particular brand or store either. Across the board, they seem smaller to me. 

So, have I lost it?

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/26/22 9:41 a.m.

I have no idea but it would match the trend of fooling customers into buying reduced volumes of food in what appears to be the same package, if it's possible and profitable to sell smaller eggs by the dozen it would not surprise me one bit.

rustybugkiller
rustybugkiller Dork
4/26/22 9:45 a.m.

At my local farmers market, they get too many jumbo and xl eggs from their chickens. Most ppl want large or medium 

EvanB
EvanB GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/26/22 9:46 a.m.

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
4/26/22 9:52 a.m.

In reply to Toyman! :

Is it a very recent phenomena?  I ask because we are just coming off Easter and my guess is due to colored eggs, it is some of the busiest weeks in the "egg sales industry."  Is it possible that the farms meet this increase in egg demand with the addition of increase chicken population that might result in new/young chickens producing small eggs?  Or is it possible that this increase in demand is met some other modified way which might include reclassifying and adding medium eggs to the standard "large egg" classification so as to meet the demand?  

hybridmomentspass
hybridmomentspass HalfDork
4/26/22 9:54 a.m.

Wasnt there, also, a recent bird fle issue and many chickens and eggs were discarded?

I havent noticed a difference, if Im honest. 

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
4/26/22 9:55 a.m.

Get yourself one of these...

Who knew?  Not me, until now...  https://www.fresheggsdaily.blog/2016/03/egg-size-chart-whats-difference-between.html

I just weighed 12 eggs from a store bought dozen carton of Large eggs and the results were 1.9 oz to 2.2 oz.  The 3 that were 1.9oz are then actually Medium eggs on the chart above.  I have no idea if the chart above is "law".  Also, my little scale only goes to 10ths of ounce.  If the 1.9oz is actually 1.96 oz, it might then round up to 2oz.

Link to Legal Egg Size for US and 7 other countries.  No. they are not all the same.

This sent me down a rabbit hole I did not expect and have never really given any thought to...HA.

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
4/26/22 10:16 a.m.

In reply to John Welsh :

All of that to say is that there is probably legal recourse if you find a company selling too small of eggs.   If there are regulations about this- this is exactly why they exist.  And one should not hesitate to turn suppliers in if they are breaking the regulations.

RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
4/26/22 10:27 a.m.

My chickens eggs have been getting bigger and bigger. Though one of them has been laying lumpy shelled eggs. 

gearheadmb
gearheadmb UltraDork
4/26/22 10:41 a.m.
alfadriver said:

In reply to John Welsh :

All of that to say is that there is probably legal recourse if you find a company selling too small of eggs.   If there are regulations about this- this is exactly why they exist.  And one should not hesitate to turn suppliers in if they are breaking the regulations.

Have you or a loved one been hurt monetarily or physically by dishonest companies mislabeling undersized eggs? You may be eligible for financial compensation. Contact the law offices of Leghorn & Little at 1-800-GET-CLUCKED to see how much you are entitled to.

mtn
mtn MegaDork
4/26/22 10:41 a.m.

I have not noticed anything, and we have gone through about 4 dozen in the last two weeks - 3 dozen of which were purchased in the last 7-10 days, the last dozen were probably from about 3-5 weeks ago.

My guess if there is anything to this, it is due to the bird flu. I think it is really pretty bad, I saw about 4 dead birds on our walk the other day and another one that was clearly sick. 

Duke
Duke MegaDork
4/26/22 10:50 a.m.

A Large egg is the recipe standard, so that's what we buy.

I wouldn't say they are getting smaller in general.  I would say they vary around a bit, both larger and smaller, from week to week.

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
4/26/22 10:52 a.m.

I've got like 3 dozen eggs in my fridge. We eat a lot of eggs. Do I need to measure them? 

Slippery
Slippery GRM+ Memberand UberDork
4/26/22 10:57 a.m.

We go through A LOT of eggs at my house. A box of Costco every week, I think they come with 18 per box. 

I was just thinking the same thing last night. I usually use 4 for a dish and had to crack an extra one. 

Wasnt there some bird disease going around? Maybe it has to do with that.

NOT A TA
NOT A TA UltraDork
4/26/22 11:24 a.m.

I noticed the eggs got smaller a few months ago. First indication was that it was harder to get them out of the styro packaging.

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 MegaDork
4/26/22 11:32 a.m.

I haven't bought eggs since the days started getting longer and my birds got to laying again.  Our birds do not appear to be laying smaller eggs.  Very young chickens will lay smallish eggs until the errrr... plumbing... matures.

So the answer probably lies with the age of the laying flock, with a large number of very young birds replacing those who met their demise through disease.

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 MegaDork
4/26/22 12:02 p.m.

For what it's worth, I thought I overheard my chickens talking yesterday about laying fewer and smaller eggs until wages increased and working conditions improved.  I'm not sure if they've unionized and designated a representative, but I have yet to receive a formal declaration of their demands.  Never mind that I've kept the foxes and coyotes off them for their entire pampered lives.  Depending on just how unreasonable I find their demands, I may just leave a trail of raw meat leading to the open gate.  Ungrateful cluckers!  You can be replaced!

Woody (Forum Supportum)
Woody (Forum Supportum) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/26/22 12:06 p.m.
Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/26/22 12:10 p.m.
Mndsm said:

I've got like 3 dozen eggs in my fridge. We eat a lot of eggs. Do I need to measure them? 

Amateur. My in-laws have too many chickens and it rains eggs around here. She seems to assume we eat about a dozen a day. We currently have 6 dozen. And they're big.

Am interested in eggcellent recipes. 

Karacticus
Karacticus GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
4/26/22 12:48 p.m.
Keith Tanner said:
Mndsm said:

Amateur. My in-laws have too many chickens and it rains eggs around here. She seems to assume we eat about a dozen a day. We currently have 6 dozen. And they're big.

Am interested in eggcellent recipes. 

Most of the best recipes for eggs also involve cream or butter.  Quiche, bread puddings, custards, creme brulee.  First two are fairly low effort, the last, less so.

You die happy, anyway.

By the way, cream around here has gotten very pricey-- even with the prices up on other groceries as well.

Antihero
Antihero GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
4/26/22 12:51 p.m.

I have nothing to add except that quail eggs make all chicken eggs gigantic and are quite tasty

RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
4/26/22 12:59 p.m.

In reply to Keith Tanner :

Lightweight, there's 10 dozen here plus whatever is in the coop today, probably anther half dozen. 

By September we'll be getting a dozen a day. I can't sell or use then fast enough to keep up with that, so water glassing is in my future. 

Duke
Duke MegaDork
4/26/22 1:34 p.m.

In reply to 1988RedT2 :

YARN | and they're not organized! | Chicken Run (2000) | Video gifs by  quotes | d86649fa | 紗

YARN | l told you they was organized. | Chicken Run (2000) | Video clips by  quotes | 3ca4b94b | 紗

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
4/26/22 1:37 p.m.
gearheadmb said:
alfadriver said:

In reply to John Welsh :

Have you or a loved one been hurt monetarily or physically by dishonest companies mislabeling undersized eggs? You may be eligible for financial compensation. Contact the law offices of Leghorn & Little at 1-800-GET-CLUCKED to see how much you are entitled to.

Not sure what your point is, but it sure seems that you think it should be up to the consumer to check the product as opposed to it matching what the label says. 

gearheadmb
gearheadmb UltraDork
4/26/22 1:49 p.m.
alfadriver said:
gearheadmb said:
alfadriver said:

In reply to John Welsh :

Not sure what your point is, but it sure seems that you think it should be up to the consumer to check the product as opposed to it matching what the label says. 

Just makin a joke my dude.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
PVmhc636n61tc4yODy4ETyZg3gzmOErmaApMfibBPb5sal6KrmHnBSEEWIsM8yy4