ransom
ransom GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/23/13 3:54 p.m.

That's some crazy stuff, right there. But very cool...

http://www.roadtovr.com/2012/09/26/augmented-reality-welding-mask-1344

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
1/23/13 6:15 p.m.

Nice! What they don't show though is that the helmet has to be wired to a desktop PC or at least a high-end gaming laptop, but in another decade it could probably be built into the helmet.

cwh
cwh PowerDork
1/23/13 6:21 p.m.

An absolutely incredible application for surveillance cameras. High contrast scenes are difficult to see well. Not like welding of course, but will be very valuable when the costing comes down.

mrjoshm
mrjoshm New Reader
1/23/13 6:28 p.m.

mrjoshm likes this

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo GRM+ Memberand UberDork
1/23/13 7:43 p.m.

I wonder if they have an app for that yet. They could call it iWeld.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/23/13 7:47 p.m.
GameboyRMH wrote: Nice! What they don't show though is that the helmet has to be wired to a desktop PC or at least a high-end gaming laptop, but in another decade it could probably be built into the helmet.

I'll bet a wireless connection would be possible, so that's not a major problem for the time being. Heck, the weldor is constrained by a cable already.

I dig it. Very cool. I remember reading an article years ago about Boeing using augmented reality goggles to build wiring harnesses for planes.

fasted58
fasted58 UberDork
1/23/13 8:30 p.m.

wow, how berkeleying cool, some day this will probably be the norm

T.J.
T.J. PowerDork
1/23/13 8:57 p.m.

Nice. I thought it was a bit ironic that near the beginning of the video as the dude is explaining how the technology works and how it can provide a picture with a really high contrast ratio, his face was completely in the shadow of his cyborg welding helmet.

Rxbalt
Rxbalt New Reader
1/23/13 11:20 p.m.

So how long until they get those down to sunglasses size? I want to do a JC Denton impression really badly now.

nderwater
nderwater UberDork
1/24/13 9:36 a.m.

The demo mode with the desired vs actual line & rate would be seriously useful for training applications.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Ue56QdsJTQcvrsOp2VgyiWFhxEHk2T8epKOTC0Z7G0HsJO3nraadNqvzsPv70O59