It was a joke man.. :-0

Robbie
Robbie GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
8/23/19 1:37 p.m.

Oh my God does it smell like hipster in here or what

Robbie
8/23/19 1:39 p.m.

No one hates Aerosmith or Alice Cooper yet?

RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
8/23/19 1:41 p.m.

Skrillex or any of those other "DJs". Transformer farts aren't music! 

Edit: Reply to Robbie: What's wrong with Alice? One of the better live shows I've been to. 

pheller
pheller UltimaDork
8/23/19 1:44 p.m.

Ozzy or Black Sabbath

barefootskater
barefootskater Dork
8/23/19 1:47 p.m.

ELVIS BERKELEYING PRESLEY

The beatles were only good when they were stoned, the early boy band stuff is undiluted garbage. Can't stand The Who, Stones, ACDC, hairmetal akk buttrock, 90% of Van Halen. Love Zeppelin but can't stand In Through the Out Door. Love RHCP but cant stand Stadium Arcadium. Don't like KISS at all. The Mars Volta was a trash band with one amazing album. Don't like Bob Dylan.

Take all this into consideration knowing that my favorite Metallica album is St. Anger.

Robbie
8/23/19 1:49 p.m.

In reply to RevRico :

No I was just pointing out that we are collectively calling out all the biggest music stars for sucking. And that makes us smell like hipsters. 

And if we are going full hipster, we can't possibly like bands as popular as Aerosmith or Alice.

barefootskater
barefootskater Dork
8/23/19 1:49 p.m.

In reply to Curtis :

See the source image

RacetruckRon
RacetruckRon GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
8/23/19 1:54 p.m.

Any and all Grunge music. I can't stand it, I don't know why. 

Also, I'm a big rock/metal guy but I have never been able to get into Slayer.

Ranger50
Ranger50 UltimaDork
8/23/19 2:02 p.m.

Any band featuring or fronted by James Maynard Keenan. REM. U2.

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 UltimaDork
8/23/19 2:03 p.m.

Why all the hate?  Isn't there enough hate in the world?  Do these bands really deserve your hatred?

If others like their music, and you don't, maybe you just don't get it. 

I think it would be a lot more constructive to talk about the music we love.

Daylan C
Daylan C UberDork
8/23/19 2:05 p.m.

In reply to 1988RedT2 :

I might let slip that I sometimes listen to Lana Del Rey with a straight face and I'd get thrown out...

ShawnG
ShawnG PowerDork
8/23/19 2:07 p.m.

Not a fan of:

Bro country.

Nu Metal.

The Beatles or any other boy band.

Bruce Springsteen.

Bob Dylan.

The Grateful Dead.

The Ramones.

Alternica.

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/23/19 2:09 p.m.

The Rolling Stones and the Beetles are probably at the top of the list as far as big name bands that are guaranteed to make me change the station. 

mtn
mtn MegaDork
8/23/19 2:14 p.m.

Chris Issac. I should love his stuff. I can appreciate that it is really good. Not pleasing to me. 

Same with Tyler Childers, but I think I'll like his stuff if I give it more time. 

Cannot stand John Denver. Hate it. Awful, smarmy excuse for music.

I've noticed I'm enjoying a lot of stuff I previously hated though. Beatles and Rolling Stones are the prime examples. If you get deeper into any artists catalog than the big hits, you'll likely appreciate their work more.

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson MegaDork
8/23/19 2:16 p.m.

There's one band I was mercifully unaware of until new years eve when they were on one of the midnight shows.  I'm not sure how popular they are, but to me they emphasis every bad stereotype about that genre.  Florida George Line, man they are awful.  

slowbird
slowbird Reader
8/23/19 2:20 p.m.

I can't listen to most of the new bands they play on the alternative rock station here. What's that one, the one that sounds like a ripoff of Led Zeppelin? Can't stand them. The Black Keys, not a fan of them at all. All those bands that sound like folksy hippie musicians from the 60s but with modern instruments? Ugh.

But I freely admit that I have terrible taste in music, so don't get too mad at me. cheeky

Yeah also any country music made after the year 2005 or so is pretty bad imo. I grew up listening to country, so I like the stuff from the 90s a lot, but around the mid-2000s it dropped off sharply quality-wise.

ultraclyde
ultraclyde PowerDork
8/23/19 2:40 p.m.

It's funny how often "I dislike that band" is mixed up with "I dislike the people that like that band."

I can agree and disagree with most of the stuff in this thread, at times. 

Dislike of certain music groups goes in and out of style, just like music groups. Wait about 5 years and there will be some people crowing about how Nickleback was actually revolutionary for their time and gets a bad rap when they don't deserve it.

ultraclyde
ultraclyde PowerDork
8/23/19 2:42 p.m.
slowbird said:

I can't listen to most of the new bands they play on the alternative rock station here. What's that one, the one that sounds like a ripoff of Led Zeppelin? Can't stand them. The Black Keys, not a fan of them at all. All those bands that sound like folksy hippie musicians from the 60s but with modern instruments? Ugh.

But I freely admit that I have terrible taste in music, so don't get too mad at me. cheeky

Yeah also any country music made after the year 2005 or so is pretty bad imo. I grew up listening to country, so I like the stuff from the 90s a lot, but around the mid-2000s it dropped off sharply quality-wise.

Wait, you're honestly telling me Alan Jackson's later stuff was significantly different than FLGA Line's level of quality.   Mmmmkay.....

Way down yonder on the Chattahoochee....It gets hotter than a hoochie Coochie....

Duke
Duke MegaDork
8/23/19 2:49 p.m.
aircooled said:
Duke said:

Oh, I despise most popular '70s power pop - Boston, Foreigner - especially Foreigner - Kansas, Journey, and all the rest of those interchangeable bands that sold a bazillion records.

I am not sure many have great love for Foreigner anymore.  That bad was pretty marginal when it was popular.

We went to a place for dinner last weekend and were unaware that they had live music.  The band opened with a Foreigner song and half the place was singing along.  I immediately asked for the check.

slowbird
slowbird Reader
8/23/19 2:52 p.m.

In reply to ultraclyde :

I didn't say *every* song from the 90s was a lyrical masterpiece. But hey, at least it has better instrumentation than the modern stuff.

T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
8/23/19 2:56 p.m.

This thread makes me a bit sad, but there are those that like P71s, so not sure why I should be surprised if they also have poor taste in music.

Curtis
Curtis GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
8/23/19 3:08 p.m.
Duke said:

Oh, I despise most popular '70s power pop - Boston, Foreigner - especially Foreigner - Kansas, Journey, and all the rest of those interchangeable bands that sold a bazillion records.

I don't know if he qualifies as a band, per se, but I loathe every note Billy Joel ever wrote, played, sang, or even thought.

We can no longer be friends  laugh

Curtis
Curtis GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
8/23/19 3:15 p.m.
Tony Sestito said:

But that stuff pales in comparison to Pop Country. I just can't with any of it. Not a big Country guy by any means, and I can get down with some of the old classics (Cash, Waylon Jennings, Jerry Reed, etc) depending on the mood, but the current cookie cutter Pop Country stuff is not for me.

I agree.  There is a big distinction between older Country and older Western.  There was a kinda "merging" to become Country/Western in the 70s that killed that whole genre for me.

Old Country = Hank Sr, Charlie Pride, George Jones, Willie
Old Western = Johnny Cash, Marty Robbins, Roy Rogers, Roger Miller, and the two that really kinda hung onto the Western genre were John Denver and Glenn Campbell.
Country/Western = Dolly, Kenny, Oak Ridge, Alabama, Statler Bros.
Pop Country = pretty much anything after 1985.

Grizz
Grizz UberDork
8/23/19 3:21 p.m.
Robbie said:

No one hates Aerosmith or Alice Cooper yet?

Which Aerosmith? The stuff that's actually good or the stuff that gets played on the radio all the time?

And Alice barely counts as popular considering most people have no clue who he is and the only airtime he gets is maybe feed my frankenstien. 

I hate pop country, butt rock, tons of rap, any metal that gets radio airtime made after 2000, modern pop music and pretty much anything else played on the radio I guess. Last time I turned on 98rock the drop in quality was massive and that makes me sad.

1 2 3 4 ... 8

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
X71o0XaFxMdNtPM874f6Ol5oFEXKIL9zneRdMYpObByjWu6XL2rfbNrB0fKHYy7N