1 2 3 4
Peabody
Peabody MegaDork
2/6/24 7:44 p.m.

In reply to mtn :

That was an interesting read. Some of those places are local to me and I didn't know any of that history.

in April of 1997, Nike ice skates appeared on the market at prices ranging from $220-425. (Some 10 years later, Nike’s premium skates were selling for $750 per pair.)

We worked on those too

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/6/24 8:01 p.m.
mtn said:

You guys have Play It Again Sports near you? Growing up, probably 75% of my gear was used. No point in getting new for most things, we'd be growing out of it in a season either way. Helmets, as a general guideline, were purchased new or handed down, skates would be bought new if we couldn't find anything less than ideal on the used racks, and gloves had to not be too stinky.

Nowadays I still cruise sideline swap, but generally just get my gear new. It is for my side-job - I don't want to fart around with it, I wear the stuff for 5-20+ years, and it is a tax write off. But for the kids, or if you're experimenting with different gear, definitely something to consider.

For sticks... 3 for $110 or 6 for $164. Or if you're not enough of a [man/woman/boy/girl/whatever insulting but not offensive moniker works here] to handle the wood, 3 composite for $316. I'd be curious to try those composite ones, I really like their wood sticks. And it is Made In Canada. Looks like some of Peabody's work may have in some way contributed to this - the company looks like it has some early Nike composite sticks in its lineage. 

About Canadian wood sticks - they're all coming out of the same factory.

https://woodindustry.ca/canadas-only-commercial-producer-of-hockey-sticks-moves-to-brantford-after-more-than-a-century/

I'll try a 75 flex when I stop by the store. I'm used to an 85 and I'm a fairly strong guy. I don't tend to do slappers, almost purely wrist shots for me at the moment. 

mtn
mtn MegaDork
2/7/24 11:04 a.m.

On Monday night, high school varsity playoff game, there were 4 or 5 broken sticks. Between $600 and $1,500 in broken sticks in one game. That is insane to me. 

Last night, beer league, 2 games, I didn't see any broken sticks. Only one penalty too. It's my favorite adult hockey to ref. Entire game is running clock, it really cuts down on the bullE36 M3. Don't waste your ice time getting pissed that someone was standing near your goalie after a whistle. It's too expensive for that. 

Old_Town
Old_Town Reader
2/7/24 11:31 a.m.

I don't play but I fund my kid's expensive obsession. He's currently playing 16U AA after playing on an AAA team last year that traveled all over the States...

I swear they design the high-end lightweight sticks to break at the 40 day mark. I'm just glad I never folded and bought something like the Bauer Sling blade stick (hole on blade) when that was the hot $350 item a few years ago.    

A dad on his high-school team said to research credit cards that offer extended buyer protection for something like a year. I haven't looked into it but I can't imagine they reimburse a sporting good that breaks during use. 

No Time
No Time UltraDork
2/7/24 11:56 a.m.

In reply to Old_Town :

I'm planning to try the cc protection if he has a stick break between 30-90 days. Most cards have a 90 day loss, damage, and theft protection, so I figure it will at least be worth a phone call. 

mtn
mtn MegaDork
2/7/24 12:14 p.m.

My newest composite stick is from 2017ish, and I think I have used it once, so I'm clearly not speaking from experience here, but... I have heard that those $300+ sticks, the top of the line performance sticks, are designed with basically 2 goals: The best possible performance, and durable enough to get past the warranty. So yeah, the 40 day mark is probably pretty accurate. 

It is similar to tires. Decent street tires - even something like an old school Falken Azeni - are good enough. You put Andy Hollis on decent street tires, he's going to kick my butt even if I'm on Hoosiers. 

Keith Tanner
2/7/24 2:58 p.m.

Spent some time in the shot box at a Canadian hockey store today. Tried a few different stiffnesses and curves and decided to go with a 75 flex P28 and a low kick point. I was afraid the 75 would feel too rubbery when catching passes but it seemed pretty good. Now I just have to find a strong enough stick to take faceoffs.

They had the 5030 with the PP26 curve in stock, that would be an interesting option if the composite twig turns out to be too weak. I only ever seem to find the PP77 Coffey. 

RonnieFnD
RonnieFnD HalfDork
2/18/24 4:51 p.m.

So I'm at a stick and puck getting some ice time in and come to find out the new.job I'm starting tomorrow has a hockey team.  Two of the dudes are here and the jerseys are super nice.

No Time
No Time UltraDork
2/18/24 4:57 p.m.

In reply to RonnieFnD :

Seems like you made the right move

Keith Tanner
2/18/24 8:01 p.m.

It's new stick day today :) Let's see if these plastic sticks are any fun to play with or if I'll miss the big wooden club. 

RonnieFnD
RonnieFnD HalfDork
2/18/24 8:05 p.m.
Keith Tanner said:

It's new stick day today :) Let's see if these plastic sticks are any fun to play with or if I'll miss the big wooden club. 

I held onto a real twig until last year.  I play much better with the plastic stick and my wristie is as hard as my clapper was with the wood.  The only thing I can't get used to is the sound, it sounded like I broke it at least 5 times tonight but it's always good. 

Keith Tanner
2/19/24 12:57 a.m.

It's definitely got some more power. Just need to tweak my shot to deal with the new curve. 

DeadSkunk  (Warren)
DeadSkunk (Warren) UltimaDork
2/19/24 10:36 a.m.

I played in an "Over 60" league until health issues intervened. It was also "no slapshot" because of the wide range of skill levels and old goalies bruise easily. Most of the players could have benefited from a lighter flex because they do launch nice wrist shots. Even the ex-NHLer who played one summer season was using an 85 flex. I found I noticed the weight drop when I switched from an aluminum stick to the composites.With no slapshots I've never broken a stick, probably couldn't if I tried to now.

camopaint0707
camopaint0707 Reader
2/19/24 11:22 a.m.

I lost 7-3 in my first game last night, then we had a comeback tie 3-3 in my second game.  Scored two tying goals in the last 2 minutes.

No Time
No Time UltraDork
2/20/24 9:35 a.m.
Keith Tanner
2/20/24 4:39 p.m.

The guys at our 45+ drop in spotted the plastic stick today and couldn't believe it :)  The Sherwood was my signature. 

RonnieFnD
RonnieFnD HalfDork
2/20/24 7:46 p.m.

In reply to Keith Tanner :

You liking the new stick so far?

Keith Tanner
2/21/24 12:32 a.m.

I'm really liking the curve on it, especially when it comes to puck control. The fact that it's a little bit longer is a bonus too :) I think I'm going to have to switch back to the Sherwood to really feel the weight difference. My biggest concern was that I'd lose some of the feel for the puck with the more flexible stick (Janel had trouble catching passes when she went to her composite) but it's rock solid.

Now I just have to stop making bad decisions :)

Keith Tanner
3/25/24 12:16 p.m.

B league championship game last night. I'm just gonna leave this here.

Keith Tanner
3/25/24 4:05 p.m.

And my spectators - the next generation of players. The little redhead in particular is a promising goalie. The tall one is about to turn 11, he'd be a great enforcer if he had the mindset :) 

Keith Tanner
7/16/24 1:25 a.m.

Everyone still playing? We defended our championship last season, so woo! 

I play forward. For my last C league game, I got put on defense. I've gotta say, it doesn't seem to suit my personality. Obviously I haven't figured it out but I'd rather be the guy being chased than the one doing the chasing :) Love having solid defensive players behind me but I don't think it's my forte. I'll keep trying it and see if I can get the right mindset because it'll make me a better player. But I was not happy the first game. Not frustrated, just felt out of place.

I'm taking the wood stick to drop-in tomorrow to see what it feels like to go back, and how much I've progressed vs just buying equipment :)

mtn
mtn MegaDork
7/16/24 9:05 a.m.

Defense is where you get to work smarter, not harder. And in my opinion, the strongest skaters need to be on defense in beer league. 

I play defense. I hate forward. Not enough ice time and I'm too winded too fast. 

NY Nick
NY Nick GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/16/24 9:21 a.m.

In reply to mtn :

I played defense pretty much exclusively growing up. When I got older and went into beer league I tried playing forward and I just couldn't do the game flow right. I never felt comfortable and always seemed in the wrong place. I also have hands like rocks so I have no business trying to stick handle and score. I have reduced my ice time to open skating and an occasional stick and gloves deal but I always skate and think like a defenseman. 

Keith Tanner
7/16/24 10:13 a.m.

I'm certainly not dissing defence (let's use the proper Canadian spelling because this is about hockey). I was just surprised at how different the game felt from back there. Even the effort was different - my heart rate was just as high but I didn't have as many sprints down the ice.

I'm going to keep working at it so I can learn because it'll make me a better overall player. It's only been one game :) But it was the least fun game I've played in a while. I think it's because I was reacting instead of making things happen. I said that to a goalie friend and he replied "welcome to my world!"

mtn
mtn MegaDork
7/16/24 10:38 a.m.

Didn't take it as a dis. 

Don't be reactionary, you're not stuck to the crease. Especially at C league level, go steal the puck, poke check them, stick check them, force them to the outside, angle them into the boards, cut off their passing lane. Don't wait for them to make a move - take away any good option they have... And if you get the puck on your stick, and have space, don't be afraid to bring out your inner Bobby Orr and go coast to coast. 

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
j1yydArP3WyudPkiJusM1VSZkpdfQ6muIqeFmruhsaFigKn6RGZioxmTQkMCpcnt