1 2
JoeyM
JoeyM SuperDork
5/9/11 7:09 p.m.

Just like last year, it is a great read. http://ca.jalopnik.com/5799806/the-500-craigslist-rally-car-returns-to-mexico

alfadriver
alfadriver SuperDork
5/9/11 7:57 p.m.

Wow.

Just wow.

You know- these guys would be a great special speaker for the challenge. They GET IT.

JoeyM
JoeyM SuperDork
5/9/11 8:17 p.m.

He definitely gets it.

"It's about getting off the sofa, rather than watching TV at night, just taking a few baby steps towards building dreams" - Bill Caswell
Billy_Bottle_Caps
Billy_Bottle_Caps Reader
5/9/11 8:35 p.m.

Guy is amazing

fritzsch
fritzsch New Reader
5/9/11 8:36 p.m.

Yeah he is ridiculous! I just bought a few of the caswell stickers from the website.

Gubby
Gubby Reader
5/9/11 9:37 p.m.
JoeyM wrote: Just like last year, it is a great read. http://ca.jalopnik.com/5799806/the-500-craigslist-rally-car-returns-to-mexico

This must be one of those 3-D/holographic type posters, you know, the ones where if you stare long enough, the other images appear.

Because I still can't see Bill...

nocones
nocones GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
5/9/11 10:45 p.m.

I see his name...

wcaswell
wcaswell
5/10/11 5:23 p.m.

Hey guys, thanks for the compliments! It was one hell of an adventure, more so than could ever get printed in a quick article. Like this picture, it was taken right before the final Power Stage thing on the last day and we were losing oil like crazy and I was doing my best to capture it all into our water bottles that we cut the tops off of along with this bucket I borrowed from a shop and Ron (my codriver) was like "Hey Bill this girl wants your autograph" I was about to say are you kidding, no way, not a chance, i'm crazy busy with this oil nonsense and I look up to see her standing there with her marker and all the other signatures on her chest and decided that it would be rude not to sign, right?

I just decided to turbo charge my E30 M3 for Pikes Peak Hill Climb, It already has the 6 cyl from the European E36 M3 so its going to be more challenging but I was lying in bed thinking about all the random lemons cars they just bolt turbos onto so why cant I do the same. I mean whats 7 psi amongst friends. 12 or 15 would be nice though.

Bill

DILYSI Dave
DILYSI Dave SuperDork
5/10/11 5:45 p.m.

"No honey! I never touched another girl's boob."
"I CAN SEE YOUR berkeleying AUTOGRAPH!!!!"

DILYSI Dave
DILYSI Dave SuperDork
5/10/11 5:54 p.m.
wcaswell wrote: I just decided to turbo charge my E30 M3 for Pikes Peak Hill Climb, It already has the 6 cyl from the European E36 M3 so its going to be more challenging but I was lying in bed thinking about all the random lemons cars they just bolt turbos onto so why cant I do the same. I mean whats 7 psi amongst friends. 12 or 15 would be nice though.

Need a crew?

Grizz
Grizz New Reader
5/10/11 5:58 p.m.

I can't get the link to work.

JoeyM
JoeyM SuperDork
5/10/11 6:37 p.m.

It just worked for me

Grizz
Grizz New Reader
5/10/11 6:53 p.m.

Refuses to load for me, I just get a white screen and a neverending loading bar.

JoeyM
JoeyM SuperDork
5/10/11 6:59 p.m.
wcaswell wrote: Hey guys, thanks for the compliments! It was one hell of an adventure,

Hey Bill,

You've got lots of fans here. It is nice of you to chime in.

It is great to see what you've done to be able to compete.....that's the sort of thing that keeps the rest of us going on the cars we're building.

Grizz
Grizz New Reader
5/10/11 7:04 p.m.

And it just loaded.....

Aren't new computers supposed to work well?

friedgreencorrado
friedgreencorrado SuperDork
5/10/11 7:22 p.m.

In reply to wcaswell:

Bill, can't wait for the Pikes Peak build! Thanks for checking in, dude..you're a star around here. Shoot us a photo of the build every once in awhile, OK? We love that stuff.

Maroon92
Maroon92 SuperDork
5/10/11 7:52 p.m.
DILYSI Dave wrote:
wcaswell wrote: I just decided to turbo charge my E30 M3 for Pikes Peak Hill Climb, It already has the 6 cyl from the European E36 M3 so its going to be more challenging but I was lying in bed thinking about all the random lemons cars they just bolt turbos onto so why cant I do the same. I mean whats 7 psi amongst friends. 12 or 15 would be nice though.
Need a crew?

If Dave is welcome, I would like to throw my hat out there as well. We can use the HOV lanes on our way out to Pikes Peak!

alfadriver
alfadriver SuperDork
5/11/11 6:35 a.m.
wcaswell wrote: Hey guys, thanks for the compliments! It was one hell of an adventure, more so than could ever get printed in a quick article. Like this picture, it was taken right before the final Power Stage thing on the last day and we were losing oil like crazy and I was doing my best to capture it all into our water bottles that we cut the tops off of along with this bucket I borrowed from a shop and Ron (my codriver) was like "Hey Bill this girl wants your autograph" I was about to say are you kidding, no way, not a chance, i'm crazy busy with this oil nonsense and I look up to see her standing there with her marker and all the other signatures on her chest and decided that it would be rude not to sign, right? Bill

So refreshing to hear someone who is able to adjust thier priorities on the fly. Or under, in this case....

John Brown
John Brown GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
5/11/11 6:51 a.m.
alfadriver wrote:
wcaswell wrote: Hey guys, thanks for the compliments! It was one hell of an adventure, more so than could ever get printed in a quick article. Like this picture, it was taken right before the final Power Stage thing on the last day and we were losing oil like crazy and I was doing my best to capture it all into our water bottles that we cut the tops off of along with this bucket I borrowed from a shop and Ron (my codriver) was like "Hey Bill this girl wants your autograph" I was about to say are you kidding, no way, not a chance, i'm crazy busy with this oil nonsense and I look up to see her standing there with her marker and all the other signatures on her chest and decided that it would be rude not to sign, right? Bill
So refreshing to hear someone who is able to adjust thier priorities on the fly. Or under, in this case....

Bill, Eric... thank you both for making this craptacular morning liveable.

Mental
Mental SuperDork
5/11/11 8:55 a.m.
Maroon92 wrote:
DILYSI Dave wrote:
Need a crew?
If Dave is welcome, I would like to throw my hat out there as well. We can use the HOV lanes on our way out to Pikes Peak!

me tooo!!!!

I have a house in C-Springs that the tenant would love to let us use his garage!

wcaswell
wcaswell New Reader
5/11/11 11:02 a.m.

Thanks Joey, It works that way for me too. I read the article and got all fired up and ripped the lotus apart and drove out of the garage last night. I then had a friend help me push the E30 M3 in and I already started welding in new floor panels (old car rusted out) this morning.

My goals in doing all this during the past two years (I didnt have a goal other than fun when I started but I quickly realized the whole vibe was pretty powerful) So I tried to have as much fun as possible with my friends, but also starting trying to inspire others to get off the sofa and start playing with their cars, and more importantly, I want to prove that the motorsports dream is still alive.

That somewhere, someone can build a car in their garage (or mom's garage) and actually get real sponsors and go pro racing - it does happen from time to time. I also think the podium concept has gotten really bad, to the point where some of my friends have said to me they would rather not race if they can't do it right and win. I think sponsors and marketing changed this over the years - how many stories do you read about the guy that had the time of his life and finished 5th. Hell I love winning too, who doesn't? But I'll take last at the 24 hrs of Le Mans. Just to go out there and do battle with my heros would be enough.

Anyway, as for crew, anyone is welcome. But keep in mind when I get out of the car with a problem, there are only a few other guys that I know that I would rather have working on the problem then me. At least I know what I'm dealing with when I get back in the car. Its why my crew has always been small or none. Ron Erickson is the first guy I ever let travel to help me out and it more because he was like "I'm self sufficient. Need nothing but an address to find you (which was a campsite in the woods so no real address actually), won't be a pain in the ass and will leave if I suck" Ok sure. so he showed up and slept two hours in the back of a car hauler and jumped up and started setting up gear. He has been a part of the team since.

But Pikes Peak is different. your car either runs or doesnt. especially on race day. all you really need is the driver and the car. If it doesnt run its very unlikely you'll get it started in time. Same is kind of true of the rallycross. I mean normally there is body damage and stuff but Im driving an E30 where there's nothing to really fix, its built like a tank. So a crew isnt really necessary, but would be fun to have. The only real rule I have is no wrenching on the car after drinking and Im like crazy weird about it _ I've only ever let one person do it and I desperately needed their help. But you can drink like mad while others wrench, that is totally acceptable.

Now if you guys want to come and party and hang out and help out as you feel like it and if the car gets crazy damaged help me rebuild it, but otherwise its just a big week long party with maybe some mountain biking on sunday monday and tuesday before the hill climb event starts. As for the garage, I cant rent a setup at Pikes peak raceway really cheap and they have open lapping wed, thurs friday and I plan to just spank the rally car all afternoon on the track once Im done with hill climb practice.

Then on friday before the climb there is a huge fanfest party with 30,000 people and all the cars on display and the red bull arial team or at least there was last year. Im trying to get someone to throw a fan or viewer/ reader party on one of the rooftop bars from 9-12 after the fan fest is over with $1 PBRs for everyone wearing a wrist band.

So, everyone is welcome. Its generally a good time. I will probably take it easy this year before the practice nights and raceday in light of Matt Marker so it will be a little tamer, but still a ton of fun. we went out every night last year, even the night before the race which wasnt such a hot idea. you know that feeling when youre really hung over and you walk out into bright sunlight and it feels like laser beams in your eyes? Well try it at 14,000 ft, its unbelievable. We kept saying, Its only 12 miles, its barely a stage.

Also, I usually throw the pictures up on facebook because its so easy to do from the iphone. best way to follow along is to friend me there, but I'll see if I cant upload some stuff every so often. Right now its getting my street car E30M3 running. Brakes lines, tuning Alpha N ecu thing, installing seats(my awesome recaros went in that rothmans 911 rally car tribute that was sold recently so putting sparcos), exhaust. When I start cutting the front of cars off and tube framing them in a few days I'll post those. Actually, maybe I should get a IP based web cam and just mount it in the garage?

Oh yeah, last year my friend Cameron rode his Zuma to the top of Pikes Peak last year and it barely made it. We should have a contest for the person that drives the biggest pile of sh!t to the top of the mountain. Its open to the public all day long.

Alright, sorry for the novel. More later.

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury SuperDork
5/11/11 11:32 a.m.

Post. More. Often.

I hart your story.

DILYSI Dave
DILYSI Dave SuperDork
5/11/11 12:21 p.m.
wcaswell wrote: The only real rule I have is no wrenching on the car after drinking and Im like crazy weird about it ...

So close...

N Sperlo
N Sperlo Reader
5/11/11 1:14 p.m.

Could have sworn her arm was going straight down to the crotch of his pants and into the belt line. Tricky shadows. Its probably how I would pose it.

On another note, mmmmmmm..... Pikes Peak. (mouth waters)

nderwater
nderwater Dork
5/11/11 1:22 p.m.
The carnage started on the first night when a Subaru struck a wall on the night stage which ran through the cobblestone tunnels under the streets of downtown GTO.

The tunnels under Guanajuato are narrow and dark and tough to navigate at a crawl - I can't believe you guys raced a stage through there! With family in that area of Mexico, I have got to try to make this event next year.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
m30zBDWEJ2OO8mVukQEFVm7wxbvZVKL6KGbYVXfcChRFbeg2C4aR8mpIDUWW5VbU