Cactus
Cactus New Reader
5/8/15 7:12 p.m.

I'm writing this review over the sound of goddamn lawncare, which I'm convinced is the devil's own work. Why it is mandatory to suppress plants for simply subsisting in modern suburbia, I have no idea. I have no sympathy, grass isn't sentient. The real victims are those that have to put up with the needless decibels of insipid racket. Noise pollution, but why? To what end must we endure the droning of single cylinder machines with high RPM blades? For all the good Obama has done the world, I say he doesn't deserve his Nobel prize, simply because he hasn't so much as scratched his scrotum at the notion to abolish cutting plants pointlessly. This might be more tolerable if I didn't have a good reason to leave all the windows open. Some of us care enough about the environment not to waste energy on air conditioning just because it's a bit warm outside. Too bad they can't show a little concern by, oh here's a suggestion, mowing during normal business hours when the only people they might aurally molest are the unemployed.

Anyway, the hat. It's a lovely hat, recent vintage, black with red accents. Similar construction to my old one, being the field cap style. Two ply cap with fully stitched bill. //M emblem proudly displayed sinister to the sagittal axis. The entire ventral side of the bill is finished in red cotton twill, the dorsal; similar black fabric with synthetic insets and contrasting red stitching. The posterior has a size-fitting mechanism with another //M badge on the aluminum hasp. As you can probably tell from the photo, I've already debadged it.

This hat represents one of the cheapest options in the //M range. Fit is fine, but perhaps leaning towards the "sport seat" side of the comfort spectrum. Specifications compare to my old one. It's not as well broken in, but I hope to get it there in time. Value for money is moderate, but without the usual $1000 BMWCCA rebate, it's not really what it could be. Unusual for an //M product, this thing doesn't feel capable of high speed. I'd struggle to keep it on past about 20mph. Oddly, it's capable of more speed in reverse. I guess styling takes precedence to aerodynamics in this market segment. Reliability isn't much of a concern, though it comes with no warranty, my old one has endured many miles with absolutely no service, and it's every bit as serviceable as the day I took delivery. Sure the finish may be slightly faded, but it doesn't show dirt nearly as badly as the black E90 in the background.

A winning product? Time will tell. I don't see this being a high volume seller. There's not a lot separating this hat from its peers. The performance is pretty much on par with other available hats, only standing out due to styling and the coveted //M badge. Perhaps it's more of an //M sport trim, than a true //M vehicle. The market segment "hat" is riddled with almost countless entries, including multiple competitors within the BMW brand. The used chapeau market is all but nonexistent, which will inevitably lead some to purchase this hat new. So far as my research department has been able to tell, this cap has been on the market for somewhere over a year, and I have yet to see one in the wild. I can't picture the average consumer cross shopping this hat with other brands, so its main competition is within the BMW brand. Sales then depend on BMW's marketing of the //M brand, maybe if the cars do well, the hat will rise in popularity with them.

Overall, a decent product. I give a mild recommendation, but suggest considering other options before purchase. Maybe:

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 SuperDork
5/8/15 7:26 p.m.

Dude. This was a great way to end my day. Thank you.

Slippery
Slippery GRM+ Memberand Dork
5/8/15 8:07 p.m.

The best thread I read today, hands down.

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/8/15 8:19 p.m.

Well done!

Bravo!

T.J.
T.J. PowerDork
5/8/15 8:49 p.m.

Does your hat have all of the pixels?

And now I want to go debadge one of my hats.

Wally
Wally GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/9/15 12:12 a.m.

I found this review very helpful. A+++.

ronholm
ronholm Dork
5/9/15 12:17 a.m.

Outstanding!

WizardDog
WizardDog New Reader
5/9/15 12:40 a.m.

Brilliant. Legitimately LOL'd.

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo GRM+ Memberand Mod Squad
5/9/15 7:04 a.m.

Nice.

fiesta54
fiesta54 Reader
5/9/15 11:17 a.m.

What just happened

kazoospec
kazoospec Dork
5/9/15 11:28 a.m.

Yo dog, the ladies must be lol'n at that curved brim, bro. Hope ya like yo ol' man hat.

Sincerely,

Beebs

Course, if ya added some proper stance to that brim, ya know, get that thing in the weeds, the ladies might be diggin' that lid, knowwhatI'msayin?

Tom_Spangler
Tom_Spangler GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
5/9/15 3:19 p.m.
T.J. wrote: Does your hat have all of the pixels?

Yes, but it needs a new cooling system.

Grtechguy
Grtechguy UltimaDork
5/11/15 4:48 a.m.

Most excellent review!

moparman76_69
moparman76_69 UltraDork
5/11/15 5:50 a.m.

10/10 would read again.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
5/11/15 10:09 a.m.

Nicely done.

clutchsmoke
clutchsmoke Dork
5/11/15 10:22 a.m.

You should post your product review on amazon or whatever online retailer carries it!

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
g9AYPcVScDrGnSglC1aU2wuRSs9kNmpKSL8fgdr6SJ8t0giVCGTLk9mgNamHai8q