1 ... 85 86 87 88 89 ... 95
dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/29/24 11:06 a.m.
Antihero said:

I have a sudden want for a 45acp revolver, even though I've never seen a use for them.

Must use moon clips too, off to do some research 

I got a Mark 23 for those exact same reasons.  LOL

Rodan
Rodan UltraDork
5/29/24 12:03 p.m.
dean1484 said:

In reply to Rodan :

Looks like there is now a GEN 2 version of it.  

The Gen 2 has been out for a few years, that's what mine is.  I guess I should have mentioned it, but I've never even seen a 'Gen 1' for sale anywhere.

Rodan
Rodan UltraDork
5/29/24 12:16 p.m.
Antihero said:

I have a sudden want for a 45acp revolver, even though I've never seen a use for them.

I love a revolver in .45ACP! 

Where you want a revolver, but also want fast reloads, it's pretty hard to beat a .45ACP revolver with moon clips.  Faster than a speedloader, and the short, stubby .45s go in easier than 38/357.  Moon clips are not strictly necessary, but getting ACP cases out without them is a PITA.  An alternative is .45 Auto Rim (basically a .45 ACP with a revolver style case rim) if you handload, but finding brass these days can be difficult.

stroker said:

Used to have a S&W 625 5" full lug and I kick my own ass every week for having sold it.  But I'm never going to sell my Model 25-5 in 45 Colt...

I use a 625 5" full lug for my carry permit qual every year (I qual on revolver and semi-auto), because I'm a bit quicker with it than my .357s.  I also really like my 25-2, but at 6.5" it's a  little big for holster work....  I'd probably trade my 5" 625 for a 4" if the opportunity arose, but they're even harder to find.

If you're going to shoot .45 with moon clips you need a Mooner tool... makes loading/unloading the clips a breeze!

AWSX1686 (Forum Supporter)
AWSX1686 (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UberDork
5/29/24 4:26 p.m.
Rodan said:

That's hot

Antihero
Antihero GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
5/29/24 10:10 p.m.
dean1484 said:
Antihero said:

I got a Mark 23 for those exact same reasons.  LOL

So.....I also want a Mark 23 too but it's far down the list lol

Antihero
5/29/24 10:13 p.m.

My dad's 70th birthday is coming up so you wanted to get him something special but he hates it when I spend too much on him.

He saw me looking at a G Force AR shotgun on my phone and got super excited about it so guess what I bought him?

I didn't think a 12 gauge, autoloading assault shotgun would be the best thing to get my weakened father on oxygen but it turns out he berkeleying loves it and is very touched 

dean1484
5/30/24 1:19 a.m.

In reply to Antihero :

Obviously a man of good taste. 😁

dean1484
6/2/24 1:52 p.m.

So a question to those married or that go shooting with a significant other. 

My wife's super power is to pick out the most expensive firearm and shoot it the best and then claim it as hers.  

So far she now has claimed my LMT, X95, DWX, 320X5 Legion, USPExpert.  

I am worried when we get to the trap range ;-). 

I mean I guess it is ok as I get to go get more but it is funny. She has no idea of the pricing of firearms but she sure can pick them.  

Anyone else have this problem?  

secretariata (Forum Supporter)
secretariata (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
6/2/24 2:30 p.m.

In reply to dean1484 :

I had the opposite problem. My wife was a lefty so it took years of fondling for her to find something she liked, but once she did she bought it and that was the only pistol she would shoot. It did give lots of opportunities to go to gun stores and gun shows though, and my collection is probably larger than it would be otherwise because of it...

Rodan
Rodan UltraDork
6/2/24 3:06 p.m.

In reply to dean1484 :

My wife has always stuck with a Glock, because she was issued one at work, was comfortable with it and didn't want to compromise her training with a different manual of arms.  I bought her a 19 and a .22 conversion kit for it, and that's what she shot for 27 years.  When she retired last year, I pulled a variety of different guns from the safe for her to try, and we went to a couple of indoor ranges to try things that weren't in my inventory.  She decided to stick with the Glock 19 for a 'serious' gun.  She also liked the Ruger Mk4 Lite, so we picked up one of those for plinking (I posted it a while back), and she's been working on learning to shoot handgun RDS with that.  I'd be happy to get her something fancier, but she's happy with those two and her Glock 43X.

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
6/2/24 5:03 p.m.

Put some time in on the AR's today. Figured out why I couldn't see the bullets landing before. 18" to the right, 12" high. You know how many clicks that is? I don't other than a crap ton. By the time I was done I could put 5 in a hole the size of my thumb standing, no rest at 50 yards (my "zero" for the yard). The shorter one needed the RDS pushed up some but was pretty spot on. 

barefootcyborg5000
barefootcyborg5000 UltimaDork
6/3/24 8:45 p.m.

Any reason to worry about 1/8" of scope height? I snagged some medium rings today, but I could use low rise. I wasn't sure they would fit... I have about 1/2" between the big end and the barrel, with a possibility of swapping the 0 moa rail for a 20 in the future... 

Pic without rings, just to show the silliness of this scope on this little 22. 

Rodan
Rodan UltraDork
6/3/24 8:55 p.m.

Nothing silly about a good scope on a .22 that has the ability to shoot bughole groups.  Your biggest issue will be getting a decent cheek weld with the factory stock.

barefootcyborg5000
6/3/24 9:35 p.m.

In reply to Rodan :

I have plans to add some sort of pad or riser or combination of both. Also intending to buy one of the grip pads tikka offers to get the thing closer to vertical. Also a bipod possibly. 

WOW Really Paul?
WOW Really Paul? MegaDork
6/4/24 12:02 a.m.

In reply to Antihero :

I'm rolling compressed loads of unique through a 16" Rossi 45 colt.....flaming donut is a common form of muzzle flash just like my 10mm. 

Rodan
Rodan UltraDork
6/4/24 7:47 a.m.

In reply to WOW Really Paul? :

Curious what you mean by 'compressed'?  A max load for Unique is around 10-11gr with a 250gr bullet in 45 Colt, and a traditional 'compressed' (powder filling the whole case) load would be 2-3x that amount.  Are you using a filler?

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
6/4/24 8:03 a.m.

Opinions on take down pin upgrades? One of the ebr's has a loose rear pin that wants to fall out. Not ideal by any means and duct tape just seems wrong for this as does jb weld. Opinions on threaded/locking pins? 

WOW Really Paul?
6/7/24 4:37 p.m.

In reply to Rodan :

I'll check my load data when I get home, there were a few of us on Reddit exploring how close it was possible to get to 44 mag with 45 colt. Definitely not running that through my Vaquero. 

Hey Bob, it's likely 1 of 3 things, either the detent isn't engaging, the pin is undersized, or the pin hole was drilled too large. If you can get it out and measure the pin & hole and check versus spec, JP enterprises offers +/- standard pins to solve that exact problem. 

WOW Really Paul?
6/7/24 10:47 p.m.

In reply to Rodan :

My load development sheet is showing 23.5gr of Unique with standard primers. Notes are pressure signs on primers at the 24.5-25gr point. 

Antihero
6/8/24 12:35 a.m.
WOW Really Paul? said:

In reply to Antihero :

I'm rolling compressed loads of unique through a 16" Rossi 45 colt.....flaming donut is a common form of muzzle flash just like my 10mm. 

That sounds fun, 45 colt is such a underrated round

WOW Really Paul?
6/8/24 3:06 a.m.

In reply to Antihero :

Yea, cases are only making it to the 3rd loading from new however. They get down range from the rifle in a hurry though. 

barefootcyborg5000
6/8/24 2:57 p.m.

Got out today with some folks and had a couple new experiences. 

1- suppressed 22 is a revelation. Saving for a can/stamp. 
2- AK. This was a pistol variant and such a laugh. Rowdy. Fireballs are cool. 
3- stretched my 308 hand loads to 725y. Wow. Watching the bullet from the spotting scope was awesome. I had ten bullets with me and after finding the drop and wind age I hit 12" steel 3 times. Not bad. 

Rodan
Rodan UltraDork
6/8/24 4:37 p.m.

In reply to barefootcyborg5000 :

Suppressed .22s are fun!! 

At least wait times are way down.  My last can was 8 months, but a lot of folks are getting approvals in days now.

barefootcyborg5000
6/8/24 7:08 p.m.

In reply to Rodan :

I've heard similar. Once I can move the 556 I'll see where things are. 308 really needs a better trigger, tikka needs a cheek pad at least and probably a bipod, and I've been thinking about dots for the 12ga. Priorities, but I should have a good start towards the can...

Antihero
6/8/24 7:19 p.m.
WOW Really Paul? said:

In reply to Antihero :

Yea, cases are only making it to the 3rd loading from new however. They get down range from the rifle in a hurry though. 

I'll have to look at my load books, when I was going for warmer loads I think it was either IMR4227 or w296

Never tried for a lot with unique, I might have to give it a try. I haven't had a chance to reload in awhile because adulting sucks

1 ... 85 86 87 88 89 ... 95

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
LJrNfv9h8OPlBVyzwyt4kZrXKGGcW6HknSfmmwLU1mSKbF1skFDaZMqG0GV0J9Wf