1 2 3
Rob_Mopar
Rob_Mopar Dork
8/16/12 8:37 p.m.
Otto Maddox wrote:
mndsm wrote:
moparman76_69 wrote: At the end of Joe Dirt, the woman from the gator farm tells Kid Rock his /6 can't keep up with a Hemi. Problem is he is driving a 79 Trans Am. That one line drives me insane. Well, that and old man Dirt calling it posi-trac instead of Sure-Grip.
So, i'm not the only one that caught that? I was pretty sure KR's car was a big block anyhow... because it was probably KR's actual car. He's into Trans Ams. I almost wanted that more than the mopar, though if legitimate, that mopar is FAR more valuable.
I hate that slant six comment. The woman is Rosanna Arquette of the famous (maybe infamous) Arquette clan. She was hot stuff for about 20 minutes in the 1980s.

I took the slant six comment as him mocking the Trans Am, not meaning it's really a slant six powered Trans am. The movie is a goofy comedy and shouldn't be taken as seriously. You could hurt yourself if you did.

David Spade had a Road Runner in his personal collection at one point. I've heard rumors he's a bit of a Mopar guy. Might explain the car choices in some of his movies.

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
8/16/12 8:42 p.m.

Yeah, Semi-Charmed is all about hard drug use.

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
8/16/12 9:06 p.m.

I thought it was "semi-stoned kind of life".

RexSeven
RexSeven SuperDork
8/16/12 9:12 p.m.

Creedence Clearwater Revival's "Fortunate Son" is another war protest song that was misused as a "USA, USA, USA!" jingle for Wrangler Jeans.

Similar too is "Rock The Casbah" by The Clash being used as the "official invasion song" of the first Gulf War. The music video has an Arab and a Jew palling around and skanking* through Austin for pity's sake! Joey Strummer was horrified.

*it's a punk rock dance, get your heads out of the gutter.

Jay
Jay UltraDork
8/16/12 9:23 p.m.

I release my own music under a licence which explicitly forbids anyone using it for political, nationalistic, or "public awareness" purposes, and explicitly forbids me from selling it to someone under a different licence for those purposes even if I wanted to. This is why.

Keith
Keith GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/16/12 10:23 p.m.
Curmudgeon wrote: Temptation, frustration So bad it makes him cry Wet bus stop, she's waiting His car is warm and dry

I'm not sure she actually does get in the car. He's thinking it - but does he stop and let her in? I don't think so. But it isn't really answered in the song.

American Woman is another where people don't quite listen to all the lyrics. And they're not even hidden!

novaderrik
novaderrik SuperDork
8/17/12 6:05 a.m.
Rob_Mopar wrote:
Otto Maddox wrote:
mndsm wrote:
moparman76_69 wrote: At the end of Joe Dirt, the woman from the gator farm tells Kid Rock his /6 can't keep up with a Hemi. Problem is he is driving a 79 Trans Am. That one line drives me insane. Well, that and old man Dirt calling it posi-trac instead of Sure-Grip.
So, i'm not the only one that caught that? I was pretty sure KR's car was a big block anyhow... because it was probably KR's actual car. He's into Trans Ams. I almost wanted that more than the mopar, though if legitimate, that mopar is FAR more valuable.
I hate that slant six comment. The woman is Rosanna Arquette of the famous (maybe infamous) Arquette clan. She was hot stuff for about 20 minutes in the 1980s.
I took the slant six comment as him mocking the Trans Am, not meaning it's really a slant six powered Trans am. The movie is a goofy comedy and shouldn't be taken as seriously. You could hurt yourself if you did. David Spade had a Road Runner in his personal collection at one point. I've heard rumors he's a bit of a Mopar guy. Might explain the car choices in some of his movies.

David Spade has been seen many times driving a pretty nice 86 or 87 GN- and even got a picture of him in some trashy tabloid getting into it in a parking lot where they make fun of him for driving "20 year old junk" or something like that.. rumor has it that he's a member on the turbobuick.com forum and actually posts stuff up from time to time, but no one really knows what his screen name is..

Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon MegaDork
8/17/12 8:52 a.m.
Keith wrote:
Curmudgeon wrote: Temptation, frustration So bad it makes him cry Wet bus stop, she's waiting His car is warm and dry
I'm not sure she actually does get in the car. He's thinking it - but does he stop and let her in? I don't think so. But it isn't really answered in the song.

I think he does, and someone saw them. Next lyrics:

Strong words in the staffroom

The accusations fly

It's no use

He sees her

He starts to shake he starts to cough

Just like the old man in

That famous book by Nabakov

I think that means he realizes he's gotten himself in deep doo doo. I guess it could be construed as nothing actually happened, but it's pretty dang clear that his co workers think it did. 'Perception is reality.'

Keith wrote: American Woman is another where people don't quite listen to all the lyrics. And they're not even hidden!

Yeah, that one is pretty blatant. The Guess Who didn't hide squat.

Lynrd Skynrd 'Sweet Home Alabama', where they basically told Neil Young to take a long walk off a short pier, is another straight up 'in yer face' song.

Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon MegaDork
8/17/12 8:59 a.m.

Back to the OP: I actually prefer Cheech and Chong's version, 'Born in East L.A.'

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
8/17/12 2:37 p.m.

I spend time in southwestern Arizona. With Gov. Brewer's recent stance on illegal immigration, Born in the USA takes on a new meaning.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
97DyFfgWpj7AiLtt6O26MIFkxx6XPMsWPvMfydnqHbvpLyvjeq4V9beVDtrJ9ZWu