nderwater PowerDork
2/16/16 12:59 p.m.

Flight Service
Flight Service MegaDork
2/16/16 1:07 p.m.
Storz wrote:
Flight Service wrote:
Storz wrote: Do boats count :)
That Allison on top is something else.... Something about buying a boat stone stock with a warranty that will do 90+ right out of the box, 21 ft of awesomeness right there. Need more tunnel boat...
I had the privilege a few years ago of driving an XR2001 with a hot drag motor on the back. The owner spent like 2 hours with me teaching me how to fly it on the pad. One of the coolest experiences of my life, I will own an Allison someday. This is the one I drove

Did they tell you why Allisons are so rare? They can't guarentee when you will get them. If it comes out of the mold and isn't straight, they shread it and start over. They also cure 2 weeks in the mold. When you get one, it is right.

IndyJoe
IndyJoe Reader
2/16/16 1:09 p.m.

No Flight found in this one.

nderwater wrote:

Old School Flight:

Storz
Storz Dork
2/16/16 1:17 p.m.
Flight Service wrote:
Storz wrote:
Flight Service wrote:
That Allison on top is something else.... Something about buying a boat stone stock with a warranty that will do 90+ right out of the box, 21 ft of awesomeness right there. Need more tunnel boat...
I had the privilege a few years ago of driving an XR2001 with a hot drag motor on the back. The owner spent like 2 hours with me teaching me how to fly it on the pad. One of the coolest experiences of my life, I will own an Allison someday. This is the one I drove
Did they tell you why Allisons are so rare? They can't guarentee when you will get them. If it comes out of the mold and isn't straight, they shread it and start over. They also cure 2 weeks in the mold. When you get one, it is right.

Yup - pretty awesome stuff. Do you own one?

Flight Service
Flight Service MegaDork
2/16/16 1:45 p.m.
Storz wrote:
Flight Service wrote:
Storz wrote:
Flight Service wrote:
Yup - pretty awesome stuff. Do you own one?

No, it is on my bucket list. Guy who raced in SuperSport ran one when I was team engineer for an F3 team (we moved up the next year to F2) Nobody could catch it.

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
2/16/16 1:46 p.m.

IT COUNTS!

Wall-e
Wall-e GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/16/16 1:52 p.m.

Flight Service
Flight Service MegaDork
2/16/16 2:13 p.m.

...and then...

IndyJoe
IndyJoe Reader
2/16/16 2:33 p.m.

IndyJoe
IndyJoe Reader
2/16/16 2:49 p.m.

Rob_Mopar
Rob_Mopar UltraDork
2/16/16 3:01 p.m.
Duke wrote:
RossD wrote:
What was that poor 'Cuda *supposed* to land on, and was there anything but scrap left when it did?

I suspect that Barracuda may have been doing something like this then the image went 'shopping.

Rob_Mopar
Rob_Mopar UltraDork
2/16/16 3:04 p.m.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
2/16/16 4:09 p.m.

You boat guys keep talking about Allisons, yet have not pictured the Allison that really maters:

EvanB
EvanB GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
2/16/16 4:44 p.m.

Vehicle I saw on my way to Charlotte this weekend.

Sput
Sput Reader
2/16/16 7:02 p.m.

Offshore racing. A long time ago they thought they could race just offshore of Sodus Bay on Lake Ontario.

I have sailed on 40, 44 and 50 foot sailboats right HERE and been scared to death.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CBNnmy_vLzM

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
2/16/16 7:25 p.m.

What could possibly go wrong?

Duke
Duke MegaDork
2/16/16 7:29 p.m.

NOHOME
NOHOME PowerDork
2/16/16 7:37 p.m.

Actually paid part of my way through Engineering school working on these kinds of boats and crewing on an offshore racing team. Don Johnson of Miami Vice fame and Al Copland of Popeye's Chicken were big players at the time. As far as I am concerned, an offshore boat race is more like a two hour plane crash than any kind of fun you would volunteer for.

Remember that in those days canopies were just starting to come out and crew were standing and not belted in to the boat. "Stuffing" the boat meant going from like 90 mph to zero in one second and smashing your face against the dash. A fraction of a second later the wall of water going the other way accelerates you to 80 mph into your seat. If you are lucky your head stays attached to your body.

For reasons that I don't quite get, a significant number of our clients seem to have ended up in jail for cocaine dealing charges.

Another memory is coconuts. I hate coconuts cause the damage they cause to the hull when you hit one is not funny.

$500 a day in gas just playing around and tuning is about right. In 1983 dollars and gas prices.

EvanR
EvanR Dork
2/16/16 8:04 p.m.

In honor of the page number-

The_Jed
The_Jed PowerDork
2/16/16 8:07 p.m.
aircooled wrote: What could possibly go wrong?

Duke
Duke MegaDork
2/16/16 9:30 p.m.

NOHOME
NOHOME PowerDork
2/16/16 9:31 p.m.
The_Jed wrote:
aircooled wrote: What could possibly go wrong?

Chicks dig fast boats and the men who drive them. As you can tell, those women are very aroused.

bentwrench
bentwrench Dork
2/16/16 9:31 p.m.
Duke wrote: Because drag racing cars just isn't expensive enough.

I used to build these boats, the secret of going fast is no boat in the water.

I switched to Midgets and Sprint cars, before I helped someone die.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
2/16/16 9:42 p.m.

1 ... 3023 3024 3025 3026 3027 ... 4729

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
4HfwC9zk4Dmk23oMAZK7F7OK8QXEUAydEOUMG5gdIS3CUazulVesHQCWvFGVLgPm