1 ... 3533 3534 3535 3536 3537 ... 4723
Hungary Bill
Hungary Bill GRM+ Memberand UberDork
1/5/18 11:36 a.m.
Duke said:

In reply to Hungary Bill :

Well, I do have a tail shot, but it's from this unhappy incident:

Oof!   That one's a C5, but still...

Also, I must apologize for the lack of hotlink in this post.  My phone will not "copy image location".

Duke
Duke MegaDork
1/5/18 11:59 a.m.

In reply to Hungary Bill :

2006 or so.  They took off heavy with a full load bound for Rammstein.  Got a thrust-reverser warning indicator for #2 on climbout - an in-flight thrust reverser deployment took a C-5 down sometime in the '80s or '90s, so they shut down #2, idled #3, and went around for an emergency landing.  Unfortunately, when they needed power, they moved #2's throttle (even though it was turned off), not #3's, so they were down on power.  Plus, I think they had too much flap down for engine-out flight.  Ran out of ground repellant on the base leg of the approach.

17 people aboard - some injuries, no fatalities except the skipper's career.

Grtechguy
Grtechguy MegaDork
1/5/18 12:01 p.m.

Bob lives again!

Duke
Duke MegaDork
1/5/18 12:02 p.m.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
1/5/18 12:10 p.m.

It was about half a mile from a very main road.  You could see it sitting there like this for about a month, until they completed the investigation and salvage.  The flight deck became a simulator at some other AFB, the engines went into refurbished inventory, and the airframe got scrapped.

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson MegaDork
1/5/18 12:52 p.m.
Duke said:

From the Wikipedia page 'The aircraft was one of the first to receive the new avionics and glass flight displays for C-5 avionics modernization program (AMP).[115] This accident led to a redesign of the cockpit engine displays, particularly the visual indicators of a non-active engine'  Based on that it sounds like they considered there to be some mitigating circumstances.  What happened to the Captain?  Demoted, thrown out, prevented from flying?

pilotbraden
pilotbraden UltraDork
1/5/18 1:56 p.m.
Adrian_Thompson said:
Duke said:

From the Wikipedia page 'The aircraft was one of the first to receive the new avionics and glass flight displays for C-5 avionics modernization program (AMP).[115] This accident led to a redesign of the cockpit engine displays, particularly the visual indicators of a non-active engine'  Based on that it sounds like they considered there to be some mitigating circumstances.  What happened to the Captain?  Demoted, thrown out, prevented from flying?

I believe that. I went to recurrent training at Flight Safety for the Beechraft King Air 200. The new simulator had a "glass panel" , all electonic flight and engine insturment displays. The airplane that I flew had traditional instruments.  I get in for the first session to get used to the simulator and the instructor can evaluate my skill. On an instrument approach I was supposed to go around at 200 ft. I kept on descending and was shocked when the simulator shook and we were rolling down the runway. I had mistaken the altimeter for a radar altimeter. an altimeter tells your altitude above sea level, a radar altimeter your height above ground.

Top picture what I flew, Bottom is the simulator set up

BenB
BenB Reader
1/5/18 3:30 p.m.

I miss flying King Air 200s. crying  Such a fun airplane!

Since we're posting pics of FRED, how about a shot of his little buddy, Barney?

EvanB
EvanB GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
1/5/18 3:52 p.m.

Hotlinked from the V.I.S.I.T. Facebook page. 

pilotbraden
pilotbraden UltraDork
1/5/18 4:01 p.m.

In reply to BenB :

The King Air is a good one. However I preferred flying the Swearingen Merlin IIIC and the Mitsubishi MU2  . Pictures to follow I can't get them to load off the phone

Doc Brown
Doc Brown Dork
1/5/18 4:43 p.m.
EvanB said:

My best guess is this was a Honda Del Sol

APEowner
APEowner GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
1/5/18 5:32 p.m.
Doc Brown said:
EvanB said:

My best guess is this was a Honda Del Sol

I don't know what it was but I find it kind of disturbing.

EvanB
EvanB GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
1/5/18 5:42 p.m.

Or maybe it is an AMG Mercedes...

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
1/5/18 8:08 p.m.
EvanB said:

Or maybe it is an AMG Mercedes...

I'll bet no one berkeleys with him on the highway. 

secretariata
secretariata GRM+ Memberand Dork
1/5/18 8:33 p.m.
slantvaliant said:

Here's some warm thrust to offset the frozen thrust...

bigdaddylee82
bigdaddylee82 UltraDork
1/5/18 9:29 p.m.

Ruger has brought back the PC9!  The new version is being called the PC Carbine.  It's still chambered in 9mm, only now it's a take down, and has interchangeable magwells that will accept a few different Ruger pistol mags, and Glock mags.  Yes you can use Glock mags in your new Ruger carbine.  The PC Carbine even comes with the Glock mag well.

stroker
stroker UltraDork
1/5/18 10:44 p.m.
bigdaddylee82 said:

Ruger has brought back the PC9!  The new version is being called the PC Carbine.  It's still chambered in 9mm, only now it's a take down, and has interchangeable magwells that will accept a few different Ruger pistol mags, and Glock mags.  Yes you can use Glock mags in your new Ruger carbine.  The PC Carbine even comes with the Glock mag well.

Make it a 10mm and I'll think about it. 

bigdaddylee82
bigdaddylee82 UltraDork
1/6/18 8:36 a.m.

In reply to stroker :

Maybe the new name, PC Carbine instead of PC9, is foreshadowing of a variety of calibers, not just 9mm?  10mm has become more popular and a little more mainstream in the last few years, but I'd expect to see a .45 ACP and a .40 S&W option before a 10mm, if there even is an option.

I've kind of wanted, or tried to talk myself into wanting a Sub 2000 for a few years, but that's a homely looking gun, and it's a Kel-Tec.  The gen 2s are a little better looking, with some nicer features, but still leaves a lot to be desired, and again Kel-Tec.  The PC Carbine doesn't fold in half like the Sub 2K, but does separate in two, is a much better looking gun, gives you some magazine flexibility like the Sub 2K, though with the Sub 2K you have to decide what mags you want to use and purchase that version, there's no interchangeable magwell, and finally the PC Carbine is a Ruger.

I've been half-ass collecting stuff to build an AR-9, but I think I rather have this Ruger, than another AR.

Here's the old PC9 version:

Carbon
Carbon SuperDork
1/6/18 2:57 p.m.

I wonder if my archangel nomad kit for 10/22 can be made to work with that....

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
1/6/18 3:45 p.m.

Cops in San Francisco are looking for vandals that are tipping Smart cars.

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo GRM+ Memberand Mod Squad
1/6/18 8:42 p.m.

Speaking of blowing a goat

bigdaddylee82
bigdaddylee82 UltraDork
1/6/18 9:32 p.m.

In reply to Carbon :

That kind of has a SCAR meets Tavor look.  Do you like it?  The PC Carbine allegedly uses a 10/22 trigger group, so there may be some interchangeability.  I suspect Magpul will have an X series stock out for the new Carbine soon, similar to the X-22 and X-22 takedown for the 10/22, at least I hope.  If it's popular enough, I'm sure the aftermarket will have a lot of stock options.

Speaking of 10/22s I bought one last week.  I've shot a lot of them, but somehow never owned one before now.  I bought the base carbine with the walnut stock.  Academy had them on sale, and Santa just happened to have brought me an Academy gift card.  I intend to do some budget hot rodding to it.

So far my wish list is pretty tame.

- Some kind of stock, Boyd Varmint or the afore mentioned Magpul X-22 are my top candidates.
- Ruger drop in BX trigger
- E.R. Shaw threaded heavy barrel
- A few Volquartsen bits
- Picitinny rail
- Bushnell AR-22 scope

Sootch recently did almost exactly the same build I've planned:

Carbon
Carbon SuperDork
1/7/18 12:18 a.m.

In reply to bigdaddylee82 :

The nomad is a h&k g36 clone. I like the 10/22 pretty well, they're a little finicky as far as what mags they like and rimfire stuff is always a little less reliable but it shoots great and is very accurate.

Being that you mentioned it, I have a IWI x-95 tavor too, I think it's delicious, definitely one of my favorite pieces and my go to problem solver (if things ever go badly society wise or something ((obviously I'd try to hug it out first)). It's got a vortex 3 power optic, a magpul rgv foregrip, a magpul sling, and a streamlight tlr-4 laser/led light combo. For me it's just the right weapon system. It's way more accurate than it needs to be and tge short overall length makes it a good choice for cqb. mine's black not fde. 

Carbon
Carbon SuperDork
1/7/18 12:33 a.m.

H&K g36

Hungary Bill
Hungary Bill GRM+ Memberand UberDork
1/7/18 1:42 a.m.
Duke said:

It was about half a mile from a very main road.  You could see it sitting there like this for about a month, until they completed the investigation and salvage.  The flight deck became a simulator at some other AFB, the engines went into refurbished inventory, and the airframe got scrapped.

daaaaaang!

I used to work on the C-17 RAMS team, we'd go out and fix broke jets of varying degrees.  Before I joined the team they had a C-17 land gear up in Afghanistan.  She's back in service now.  One of the guys paid off his house with the overtime he made from that trip (Same guy went back out when we had one get hit by a RPG.  The explosives separated from the motor.  The motor broke through the skin and embedded itself in the electrical power center right behind the pilot.)

1 ... 3533 3534 3535 3536 3537 ... 4723

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
1r6V9C08X6km8yMVrvGDdg01JF4s1T6TWId5SVg5AtWA4EVvOQT009SSUfvROZbD