1 ... 3633 3634 3635 3636 3637 ... 4725
Hungary Bill
Hungary Bill GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
7/31/18 2:15 a.m.
Ram50Ron said:

In reply to Hungary Bill :

I'm going to have to talk to the guys in the Hand Tools Department at work about making one of those.

I raise you a "pizza wrench"

Oh man, this bottle of argon can not get here soon enough!  Mrs. Hungary is going to E36 M3 when she sees this laugh

Related:  "Pizza Wrench"

ultraclyde
ultraclyde PowerDork
7/31/18 6:31 a.m.

Apparently a dealer in Minnesota is making retro themed Chevy trucks using vinyl graphics, repop emblems, and steel wheels. The first one was going to be a promo vehicle for the lot because they thought no one would want the trade-in truck in a weird color. Photos hit the Internet and people started trying to order them.

I'm not usually big on retro packages like this, but I LOVE these. Especially the Green one with the white steel wheels. Honestly, this would make me consider buying a newer Chevy and doing it myself even though I'm a Ford guy. 

Not as keen on the black one. I think it's the wheels.

Jalopnik story link

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
7/31/18 6:51 a.m.

Grtechguy
Grtechguy MegaDork
7/31/18 6:58 a.m.

You want Retro look on a Ford?

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
7/31/18 7:10 a.m.

Aircraft locator Oshkosh.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
7/31/18 7:41 a.m.

phaze1todd
phaze1todd Dork
7/31/18 8:39 a.m.
ultraclyde said:

Apparently a dealer in Minnesota is making retro themed Chevy trucks using vinyl graphics, repop emblems, and steel wheels. The first one was going to be a promo vehicle for the lot because they thought no one would want the trade-in truck in a weird color. Photos hit the Internet and people started trying to order them.

I'm not usually big on retro packages like this, but I LOVE these. Especially the Green one with the white steel wheels. Honestly, this would make me consider buying a newer Chevy and doing it myself even though I'm a Ford guy. 

Not as keen on the black one. I think it's the wheels.

Jalopnik story link

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
7/31/18 8:54 a.m.

Chevy has been doing square wheel openings on trucks for 45 years. Why the sudden hate?

Ransom
Ransom GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
7/31/18 10:06 a.m.

In reply to Appleseed :

I don't think the hate is sudden. Maybe there's some surprise that it's taken 45 years to try for better-fitting wheels... cheeky

stroker
stroker UltraDork
7/31/18 10:56 a.m.
Ransom said:

In reply to Appleseed :

I don't think the hate is sudden. Maybe there's some surprise that it's taken 45 years to try for better-fitting wheels... cheeky

I've never been wild about the styling of Vintage street Jags but THAT is something I could love...

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
7/31/18 12:13 p.m.
stroker said:
Ransom said:

In reply to Appleseed :

I've never been wild about the styling of Vintage street Jags but THAT is something I could love...

Reminds me of the arched back of the Soul Train.

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson MegaDork
7/31/18 12:32 p.m.
stroker said:
Ransom said:

In reply to Appleseed :

I disagree, I love the shape of Mk II Jag's, but Ian Callum ruinind the lines with that, and he should know better as he's Jags head of Design.

Here's a not ruined one so you can appreciate the true classic lines.

Ransom
Ransom GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
7/31/18 12:59 p.m.

In reply to Adrian_Thompson :

I think there's something to that, but I also don't care for the partial-skirt thing. Mcallum's done something that makes it appear to sit oddly, though. I don't know how I really want it to be. I kinda like this, but I also think it flirts with dirt-oval hacksaw fenderwells...

Duke
Duke MegaDork
7/31/18 1:01 p.m.

Nobody who's not English can tell the difference.  And FWIW, the rear wheel opening on the grey one is much better.

vwcorvette
vwcorvette GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/31/18 6:33 p.m.

In reply to ultraclyde :

Why I don't like this?  The original paint scheme followed the body lines. Made sense. 

This however is just trying to cover up modern ugly. 

Where am I right now? 

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy UltimaDork
7/31/18 7:03 p.m.
vwcorvette said:

In reply to ultraclyde :

Why I don't like this?  The original paint scheme followed the body lines. Made sense. 

Where am I right now? 

Standin' on a corner in Winslow, Arizona?

The photo below shows wheel arches that bother me far more than the symmetrical square ones of the larger trucks.

Hungary Bill
8/1/18 12:23 a.m.
Streetwiseguy said:
vwcorvette said:

In reply to ultraclyde :

Where am I right now? 

Standin' on a corner in Winslow, Arizona?

Come on man, I've had a rough night and I berkeleying hate the eagles...

Hungary Bill
8/1/18 12:25 a.m.

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson MegaDork
8/1/18 7:36 a.m.
Ransom said:

I think there's something to that, but I also don't care for the partial-skirt thing. Mcallum's done something that makes it appear to sit oddly, though. I don't know how I really want it to be. I kinda like this, but I also think it flirts with dirt-oval hacksaw fenderwells...

First off it's Callum, not Mcallum, I work with/for his brother Moray Callum who is Global Vice Pres of Design here at Ford.  Yes, very Scottish, but don't go throwing in a 'Mc' anything on the front.  BTW it's actually pronounced more like Kay-Lum

Second.  I know what you mean about the partial rear wheel spats.  On the original 2.4 and 3.4 Jag's (retroactivly known as the Mk I once the Mk II came out) had full spats.  It was very common back in the day to remove the rear wheel spats for racing.  Growing up my Father ran Mk II"s as dailys.  He had a Midnight blue 66 with the wheel spats and a 68' 240 (in the last couple of years Jag replaced the 2.4, 3.4 and 3.8L Mk II with a decontented version called the 240 and 340) that had the rear spats removed and a small lip fabricated instead.  At that time I much prefered the look of the spat less 240, but as I age I prefer the half spat instead.

Mk I with full spats

Mk II half spat

Mk I race car with spat removed, but without the other body mods.

Mk II race car ditto.

Finally a Mk II street car with removed rear spats, but has still been ruined with white wall tires

nderwater
nderwater UltimaDork
8/1/18 2:05 p.m.

68TR250
68TR250 Reader
8/1/18 2:11 p.m.

In reply to Streetwiseguy :

Hate those wheel arches.

slefain
slefain PowerDork
8/1/18 2:52 p.m.

Damn I love this pic.