1 ... 3939 3940 3941 3942 3943 ... 4720
Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/4/19 1:57 p.m.

Y'll are spelling hot dog wrong. I think you meant to spell it bratwurst. 

And ketchup belongs on nothing. Properly prepared food doesn't need it and improperly prepared food should not be eaten. 

Toyman01
11/4/19 1:58 p.m.
Appleseed said:

In reply to Keith Tanner :

I'm not convinced about this. Meth may actually be better for you. It just doesn't taste as good. 

Duke
Duke MegaDork
11/4/19 1:58 p.m.

OMBG.  Don't even get me started on the vile substance known as Miracle Whip.

[edit - crude language redacted]

Toyman01
11/4/19 2:05 p.m.

In reply to Duke :

Miracle Whip has its place. Usually in the very back of the fridge so I don't have to move it to get to the mayo. 

Duke
Duke MegaDork
11/4/19 2:45 p.m.
RevRico said:

I like ketchup and onion on my dogs, but I find a good hot dog needs nothing but a good bun. And whoever invented these top sliced buns was an shiny happy person.

They NEVER work like that, just make a big mess or tear apart.

Wow, I never have trouble with top-sliced buns. They're awesome. The problem is with slide-sliced buns, because by side sliced what they usually mean is 3/16" up from the bottom and 1-1/2" down from the top. So they have effectively failed by the time you even put the dog in the bun, and the only thing holding them together is the moisture on the outside of the dog. 

No hot link (see what I did there) because phone.

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
11/4/19 3:21 p.m.

I'm not going to touch the ketchup argument- you guys can hash that out among yourselves.

I am a mustard-onion-kraut on a hot dog guy myself. The real argument is that yellow mustard isn't really mustard. It is turmeric and vinegar.

Real mustard isn't yellow, and has a texture beyond "squirty."

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson MegaDork
11/4/19 3:23 p.m.

Ketchup isn't the problem.  Yellow ketchup, what some people mistakenly call mustard, is a problem.   It has not bite or real flavour (note the U for spelling accuracy devil) beyond vinegar.  IT's OK on hot dogs, with mustard, relish and onions of course, but it certainly isn't anything that should be allowed to call itself mustard.

This is what I grew up with and it would take yellow ketchup out behind the bike sheds and teach it what mustard is really all about.  

Image result for colman's mustard powder

NickD
NickD PowerDork
11/4/19 3:27 p.m.

D&RG narrow-gauge stuff looks funny. Boilers that look to big on tiny little drivers. Like an elephant on roller skates.

NickD
NickD PowerDork
11/4/19 3:28 p.m.

NickD
NickD PowerDork

NickD
NickD PowerDork

NickD
NickD PowerDork
11/4/19 3:29 p.m.

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
11/4/19 3:51 p.m.

My wife grew up in Rouse's Point up near the Canadian border, you can get Michigans everywhere!  Even places that don't have a food license (like a dive bar) sells them.  When I first started going there it was $1 for a Michegan and $1 for a quart of Molson.

After 40 years with the program, her 90+ year old mother gave me the recipe.  It's Thyme that gives the special flavor.

ALWAYS with mustard and raw onions.

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
11/4/19 4:01 p.m.

akamcfly
akamcfly Dork
11/4/19 4:06 p.m.
914Driver said:

My wife grew up in Rouse's Point up near the Canadian border, you can get Michigans everywhere!  Even places that don't have a food license (like a dive bar) sells them.  When I first started going there it was $1 for a Michegan and $1 for a quart of Molson.

After 40 years with the program, her 90+ year old mother gave me the recipe.  It's Thyme that gives the special flavor.

ALWAYS with mustard and raw onions.

We have Coney Dogs here in T Bay. Very similar, but I expect the sauce (we don't call it chili here) isn't quite the same. There are a number of places here which sell them, but this was where I had my first Coney dog. I'm not sure why they still call it a confectionary after all these decades. It's most definitely a restaurant with a very limited menu.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/4/19 4:08 p.m.
Toyman01 said:
Appleseed said:

In reply to Keith Tanner :

I'm not convinced about this. Meth may actually be better for you. It just doesn't taste as good. 

Poutine is the opposite of Chinese food. You may not be stuffed when you're done, but you won't want to eat again for a week.

It is also a key to surviving a Quebec winter.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
11/4/19 5:35 p.m.
fasted58 said:

No.  Eggs are the one place that Ketchup does not belong.  You are wrong.

Hot dogs are improved with Ketchup, because they taste less like a hot dog then.

CJ
CJ GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
11/4/19 6:22 p.m.

You Ketchup Guys must have been in the Army.  My step-son is retired Army and I think he puts ketchup on his oatmeal...

RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
11/4/19 6:27 p.m.
Duke said:
RevRico said:

I like ketchup and onion on my dogs, but I find a good hot dog needs nothing but a good bun. And whoever invented these top sliced buns was an shiny happy person.

They NEVER work like that, just make a big mess or tear apart.

Wow, I never have trouble with top-sliced buns. They're awesome. The problem is with slide-sliced buns, because by side sliced what they usually mean is 3/16" up from the bottom and 1-1/2" down from the top. So they have effectively failed by the time you even put the dog in the bun, and the only thing holding them together is the moisture on the outside of the dog. 

No hot link (see what I did there) because phone.

I've given up on pre sliced buns altogether to be honest with you, because they're always ducked up. I get torpedo rolls and cut them myself, so when they're broken I only have myself to blame. 

mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth Mod Squad
11/4/19 6:39 p.m.

RossD
RossD MegaDork
11/4/19 7:02 p.m.
EvanB
EvanB GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/4/19 7:07 p.m.

In reply to RossD :

If that was manual I would be in trouble.

thatsnowinnebago
thatsnowinnebago GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
11/4/19 7:08 p.m.
Apis Mellifera said:

I eat my hot dogs with only these two things added.  I placed a hot dog order at a diner once and as the waitress was writing down the order, without looking up, she said in a semi-exasperated tone, "You're not from around here, are you."

This guy eats hot dogs with tartar sauce. I'm calling the police. 

ultraclyde
ultraclyde PowerDork
11/4/19 7:11 p.m.
Adrian_Thompson said:

Ketchup isn't the problem.  Yellow ketchup, what some people mistakenly call mustard, is a problem.   It has not bite or real flavour (note the U for spelling accuracy devil) beyond vinegar.  IT's OK on hot dogs, with mustard, relish and onions of course, but it certainly isn't anything that should be allowed to call itself mustard.

This is what I grew up with and it would take yellow ketchup out behind the bike sheds and teach it what mustard is really all about.  

Image result for colman's mustard powder

I was introduced to this stuff at an Irish pub. Amazing stuff, love it. I've seriously considered ordering it on Amazon.

Karacticus
Karacticus GRM+ Memberand Dork
11/4/19 7:20 p.m.
914Driver said:

Gotta like that

1 ... 3939 3940 3941 3942 3943 ... 4720

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
wfnDjJylwuF3ylRlem6jeNPcyFgDtifI2NvPE2ko48aSW2IpamhmeS7RnFzB8THf