1 2
Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
2/17/14 9:40 p.m.

As another crazy tangent...

Home Depot rents Makita saws, these are rebadged Dolmar's made in Germany. They are top quality and about 60+cc's. My plan was to buy a smallish saw (46cc's) and then rent a big one should I have some bigger red oak to take down.

Also, Home Depot sells their used rental saws. I'd get one if I could.

I'll also echo Foxtrappers call to buy what you can get serviced close to your house. I bought the Husky cause it was cheap and there was a husky/Stihl dealer close. I know live in the city and the saw is just sitting. ugh.

Also, Labonville chaps.

bigdaddylee82
bigdaddylee82 HalfDork
2/17/14 10:46 p.m.

I'm not a safety Nazi, though SWMBO thinks I wash my hands a lot. I'll echo Fueled by Caffeine on the chaps. I've got a pair and thankfully have never needed them. However, I witnessed two occasions where they 100% saved a life/limb when someone wasn't paying attention.

We ran the standard "non-safety" chains at work, no little anti kick back teeth, for a quicker cut, so you're potential for a kick back was slightly greater. I saw a new/green coworker ball a pair of chaps up on his saw, and somehow in the process run it across his belly, had a bit of a "beer belly." As far out as we were, had he not had on chaps, there's no way he'd have made it, wound up with a few stitches. I saw another seasoned coworker ball a pair of chaps up on their saw, that would have likely lost their leg were it not for them.

Even a pro can not pay attention that one instant and bam, they've made a "mess." Chaps, eye/ear protection, and hard hats were required PPE, and even at home/on the farm I always put the chaps on. They're that much more weight, and you're that much hotter, and all the life long fire wood cutters can ridicule you and say, "I've never needed sissy chaps," but seeing is believing.

• Lee
Fueled by Caffeine
2/17/14 10:56 p.m.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n6rY0f4pRFM

curtis73
curtis73 GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
2/17/14 11:48 p.m.
Fueled by Caffeine wrote: As another crazy tangent... Home Depot rents Makita saws, these are rebadged Dolmar's made in Germany. They are top quality and about 60+cc's. My plan was to buy a smallish saw (46cc's) and then rent a big one should I have some bigger red oak to take down. Also, Home Depot sells their used rental saws. I'd get one if I could. I'll also echo Foxtrappers call to buy what you can get serviced close to your house. I bought the Husky cause it was cheap and there was a husky/Stihl dealer close. I know live in the city and the saw is just sitting. ugh. Also, Labonville chaps.

I worked in the rental department at Home Depot for two years. Our Makita 20" saws are awesome. Seriously, we changed the plugs and air filters and rented them to idiots who couldn't add 2+2 and they worked perfectly every time. In two years, we had ONE SAW that needed a new kill switch.

If you want a really amazing saw that kicks butt, consider a late-70s Jonsered. They go pretty cheap, but they are the absolute. I have a 1976 Jonsered 20" that just will not die. It is no heavier than my dad's Stihl 034, has crazy torque, and cuts faster at a lower RPM than his Stihl.

As with lawn tractors, you either pay new prices for questionable chinese stuff, or pay the same money for used, top-notch stuff.

If you insist on new, consider Echo and Stihl. Do NOT buy them at Home Depot or Lowes. They ARE different than what you buy from a dealer.

I will add one other thing... As the person who rented the equipment, maintained the equipment, and used the equipment, Buying used stuff from home depot is a pretty wise investment. The way they maintain their stuff is pretty intense. I frequently bought things we had for sale because I knew how well they were maintained.

bearmtnmartin
bearmtnmartin GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
2/18/14 12:37 a.m.

I earned my living with a saw for three years and the ones to have were Husky and Stihl. It seemed like when you got to the bigger bars most of the loggers used Stihl, and the smaller saws were usually Husky or Jonsered which used to be a hopped up version of a Husky. I still have my XP266 and it still cuts like a SOB. When I see a truck full of loggers and saws heading into the bush they are still Husky and Stihl so I guess not much has changed in 20 years,

Apis_Mellifera
Apis_Mellifera Reader
2/18/14 7:24 a.m.

Stihl, without hesitation.

Mine is a 20 year old 039 with a 20" bar. Bought new and still runs like new.

foxtrapper
foxtrapper PowerDork
2/18/14 7:38 a.m.
curtis73 wrote: If you insist on new, consider Echo and Stihl. Do NOT buy them at Home Depot or Lowes. They ARE different than what you buy from a dealer.

? Stihl doesn't sell through Home Depot or Lowes.

http://www.stihlusa.com/locator/

"STIHL is NOT sold at Lowe’s® or The Home Depot® Only through servicing Dealers."

spitfirebill
spitfirebill UberDork
2/18/14 7:39 a.m.

I appreciate all the advice. A lot to mull over. I may rent a big saw from HD and buy a small electric saw to lop the limbs. I don't really want to get in a bucket with a big gas saw. Problem with the Stihls is they are only sold through their dealers and its a set price. The closest dealer though is a good one.

I've been looking on Craiglist for a while, but not very consistently. Any Stihls on there look like they been used hard for 20 years and drug behind a truck for miles. And they still want $300 because its a Stihl.

BTW, I have a Roper saw with a 16" bar that I bought in the 70s that has given me good service. We have taken down some prety big trees with it. Roper used to make Sears cahin saws, but I don't think this one was ever sold as a Sears. Using it compared to my neighbors new Echo was like comparing a VW beetle to a Cadillac.

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/18/14 7:48 a.m.
spitfirebill wrote: ...and buy a small electric saw to lop the limbs.

I have a very small Remmington electric saw that goes on the end of a pole for pruning. $99 IIRC. It has clawed it's way through logs much larger than it is supposed to and has never let me down. Adjust the chain now and then, and plug it in. I have never fired up my nice Stihl gas chain saw because so far, nothing has stopped the little electric beast. I would start there and see if you even want the hassle of a big gas unit if you are not a regular user.

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
2/18/14 7:51 a.m.

In reply to pinchvalve:

That's the same one I have. Bought on a whim and so far has done everything I've asked it to.

dj06482
dj06482 GRM+ Memberand Dork
2/18/14 8:01 a.m.

+1 on the chaps advice, I'll go a step further and recommend a helmet, as well. When I bought my chainsaw, my parents gave me both a set of chaps and a safety helmet with a mesh face shield. I don't pull out the saw without suiting up. I've heard too many stories and have personally seen too many close calls to consider either optional...

Fueled by Caffeine
2/18/14 8:18 a.m.

One more thing about electric saws, I believe that chaps are not rated for them. Too much torque as chaps rely on stalling the saw more than anything else.

bearmtnmartin
bearmtnmartin GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
2/18/14 9:23 a.m.

And if you buy a used saw make damn sure the chain brake is working properly.

Fueled by Caffeine
2/18/14 9:48 a.m.
bearmtnmartin wrote: And if you buy a used saw make damn sure the chain brake is working properly.

This was the number one reason I didn't buy a used saw. All I could find used were old saws without chain brake or Anti vibe. One of my cutting buddies has some old giant stihl but I'll never use it. No brake and it shakes worse than a junky coming down off a hit of meth.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
0cnu9bb3MlSjQUblTIf9RQSKShJzT1NR5k1Kw3lkybOKBjgIOQCnSX8ezPaik19F