Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson UltraDork
4/9/13 6:00 p.m.

Hey Colorado folks. We're looking to go camping in the San Juan National forest around July 4th. I've never been to South / South-West Colorado before. There seems to be loads of campsites in that area (Columbine Rd, PAgosa, etc). Any suggestions? In many ways we'd rather be in a Natioanl Foest site rather than a privately owned one. They seem to be quieter and more family friendly. We're looking for tent camping and do want showers etc, not super basic. Any suggestions?

Thanks as always.

Adrian_Thompson
4/9/13 6:14 p.m.

Hey, what abut Ridgway park? Looks good and they seem to have sports.

The mind is thinking...hhhhmmmmm we have to pass some little hill called Pikes Peak......... wonder if anythings happening around there at this time of year

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess UltimaDork
4/9/13 8:16 p.m.

My goal is to never spend another dime in Colorado.

Adrian_Thompson
4/9/13 8:45 p.m.
Dr. Hess wrote: My goal is to never spend another dime in Colorado.

Dare I ask why, or do I assume this is to do with one of the gun threads I try desperatly to avoid?

Adrian_Thompson
4/10/13 8:06 a.m.

Well I"ve answered my own question. We're now booked into Ridgway state park campground from July 1st to the 8th.

Joe Gearin
Joe Gearin Associate Publisher
4/10/13 9:28 a.m.

That is a beautiful part of the country. Keep in mind it can get cold up at altitude--- even in July.

Bring an empty coffee can and burn candles inside it if it gets cold. It is amazing how much this can warmth the can will radiate---- heats up a tent nicely.

And drink lots and lots of water as your body acclimates to the altitude.

I'm jealous!

Jim Pettengill
Jim Pettengill HalfDork
4/10/13 9:34 a.m.

You'll like Ridgway State Park - nice lake (if there's any water left - dry winter this year, but we just got 11 inches of unusually wet snow, so hopefully we'll be OK). I live 7 miles from Ridgway. Plan on being in Ouray for 4th of July, we do a real Fourth parade, and come by the Elks BBQ after the parade, I'll be helping serve (I'm Exalted Ruler at the lodge this year). Plan on some Jeeping - if you don't have a 4WD, either rent one or take a tour the back country is unbelievable, with abandoned mine structures, ghost twons and rugged scenery. You must go up to Yankee Boy Basin. Stop by the Ridgway Railroad Museum, most of us are also car guys - president drives a Porsche C4S, I drive a Corvette C4 and '89 MR2. Great country, you'll love your time here. call me for more info, I'm in the phone book.

Jim Pettengill

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/10/13 9:47 a.m.

It's not worth asking Hess why he's full of hate. He just is.

I've never camped there, but Ridgway is a beautiful area. Make a day trip to Telluride. There are a few ghost towns around, and if you have access to a high clearance vehicle (or rent a Jeep in Ouray) you can do the "alpine loop" over Engineers and Cinnamon Pass. Heck, even with a normal vehicle you can get to Animas Forks from Silverton, and that's a pretty cool drive.

The fireworks in Telluride on the 4th are great. You're inside a box canyon so it's more of a surround sound experience than usual.

There are hot springs in Ridgway if nekkid people don't scare you and hot springs in Ouray if they do. Stop in at Mouse's in Ouray for some great chocolate

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess UltimaDork
4/10/13 10:20 a.m.

I have no hate. Hate is a leftist emotional driver. The Colorado Government would like to eviscerate our Constitution. I have limited ability to influence that, but what I can do is strive to never spend another dollar in Colorado again. Sorry, Keith. Your state government's actions has consequences. I don't think you're even eligible to vote, so it isn't your fault at all, you're just stuck with the consequences.

Marjorie Suddard
Marjorie Suddard General Manager
4/10/13 10:27 a.m.

Hess is like a right-wing Tickle Me Elmo... poke him, and entertainingly predictable sounds emerge.

edit: Oops, just trolled my own board. Uh, sorry Hess, you're just fine. Really. And I like hot springs. Naturally, I only go to them if I'm carrying. Okay, stopping now...

Margie

Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard GRM+ Memberand Intern
4/10/13 10:36 a.m.

Lol, I like Colorado–it's on my list to spend lots of time in.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/10/13 11:16 a.m.

You are in our neck of the woods, so if you want to stop by I'd love to show you around. Although the drive from Ridgway to Grand Junction is a bit sad, you could make it more fun by running down Hwy 141. That's pretty.

Jim, isn't there an epic water fight in Ouray on the 4th?

oldsaw
oldsaw PowerDork
4/10/13 11:40 a.m.
Marjorie Suddard wrote: Hess is like a right-wing Tickle Me Elmo... poke him, and entertainingly predictable sounds emerge. edit: Oops, just trolled my own board. Uh, sorry Hess, you're just fine. Really. And I like hot springs. Naturally, I only go to them if I'm carrying. Okay, stopping now... Margie

You carry when you visit hot springs, Margie?

Is this your weapon of choice?

Adrian_Thompson
4/10/13 12:10 p.m.

Yup, looking forward to it. Last time I spent 2 weeks in Colorado was 05, then we did Estes Park, Boulder, Steamboat, Rocky mountain NP, Aspen etc. My wife’s family (Tourtellotte) have long roots there, they helped found Aspen and gave the land to build CU Boulder, unfortunately that money is long long gone.

Actually 4th July in Aspen was one of the scariest times of my life. We were on the soccer field in the middle of town picnicking with thousands of other people waiting for the sun to go down for the fireworks. Our then 4 year old got friendly with a kid in the family next to us. We get talking to them, the kids are playing together, chit chat chit chat. Where are the kids? Totally vanished. Both families spread out looking for them (in a crowd of thousands), we get the band playing to interrupt their set and make an announcement, we have the police and everyone looking for them. 45 mins later, two little girls who never knew they were lost turn up still happy and playing. We’ve never been so scared, angry, happy at the same time!

Don’t worry Co folks, we’ll spend enough $’s to offset whatever Hess wouldn’t have spent prior to his boycott anyway

Jim Pettengill
Jim Pettengill HalfDork
4/10/13 5:59 p.m.

Oh, yeah, truly epic water fights - teams of two face off with high-pressure fire hoses on main street, a decades-old tradition. Plan to get soaked. Fireworks echoing off the mountains after dark, a flare parade by all the Jeeps in town before the fireworks (after karaoke led by me at the Elks lodge if you're brave enough...). And the trip Keith recommends is a great drive, with an excellent car museum (all American) at the tiny resort of Gateway - and in Junction, of course, you have your choice of good rental Karts at Grand Junction Motor Speedway (excellent course, shifter karts available), and the Intergalactic Headquarters of Flyin' Miata.

Lesley
Lesley PowerDork
4/10/13 8:21 p.m.

One of the most truly beautiful places I've ever been. Rode the steam train to Silverton, then drove up to the Engineer's Pass. Bring layers of clothing! We were in t-shirts and jeans at the bottom... by the time we got to the top there was hail and it was bloody cold. Air is very thin too, drink a lot of water and if you've got asthma, bring a puffer. (oh berkeley, did I just throw out Hess bait?). The scenery is pinch me gorgeous:

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10151103159566308.465361.515956307&type=3

Here's a piece I wrote last year on driving up in the mountains: http://www.wheels.ca/news/taking-it-to-the-top-in-a-jeep/

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
MHb89mjn59oMQS5rBgSsklgPMqRYmMGDvtcUNQQMMQ1FMQtDcfodVZcHyAhvR6M0