1 2
MiniDave
MiniDave HalfDork
3/5/24 1:09 p.m.

I don't, it was kind of ungainly looking IIRC, this was in the early 90's. Looking at pics on Google, coulda been an 800?

The best one was a G4 tho, by then he was flying for a charter company (they had the Hawker too)

The OP's Cessna looks really nice tho, esp with the Garmin cockpit. Our company SR22 had the full Garmin cockpit - double huge displays - really helpful info and fun to scroll thru all the different displays available.

ShawnG
ShawnG MegaDork
3/5/24 1:17 p.m.

If it's incredibly loud AND incredibly slow, it's probably a 185 on floats. 

pres589 (djronnebaum)
pres589 (djronnebaum) UltimaDork
3/5/24 1:23 p.m.

I always thought those Hawkers had a weird tail.  Like T-tail vs. cruciform wasn't solved so they tried a compromise location for the horizontal surface.  I've only stood near a couple of them, never set foot in one or flew.  Didn't fly in a 4000 either, which I hear were nice inside, but kind of killed the company in the process of being developed and sold.

Garmin's G1000 was a huge leap for general aviation with displays that looked like TV's in comparison with what was going at the time.  At one point at work we had both the Cessna Mustang avionics hot bench and the Sovereign's avionics hot bench in the same room, with Sovereign's Honeywell Epic loud cooling fans and small displays vs. G1000 looking like what you're talking about.  Felt like I was walking into a shift change, and I guess I was.  I was an engineer on Sovereign when I started my career.

golfduke
golfduke Dork
3/5/24 1:38 p.m.
Sonic said:

In reply to golfduke :

This is a nice plane and is probably 2-3x your high number.   I'm part owner of the Toyota Tercel of planes, a Cessna 150, and that worth solidly in the $30s and that's about as affordable as it gets.   

OP, congrats, looks like it is in great shape with nice updates!  

Oh okay, wow!  thank you very much for the info.  Now I know, haha! 

Karacticus
Karacticus GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
3/5/24 4:02 p.m.

A link to some specs if anyone is interested.

Regarding avionics fan noise, there's almost none in this airplane, as opposed to the avionics cooling fan in my Cutlass, that sounded like a bunch of pennies in a coffee can.

This is also the first time in quite a while I can recall seeing a Cessna of this vintage that the back seat headrests hadn't been long lost from.

This particular aircraft has been recently re-imported (flown across the Atlantic!) after being based in Belgium since the early 90s.

Ferry permit for the airplane heading over to Europe--

bbbbRASS
bbbbRASS New Reader
3/5/24 5:50 p.m.

That's awesome, congrats! Would you consider going diesel down the road when you upgrade power plant?

Sonic
Sonic UberDork
3/5/24 7:05 p.m.

I'm interested to know more about the trans Atlantic crossings and logistics.  Where did they land, how did they do the extra fuel, etc.  

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
3/5/24 7:16 p.m.

In reply to Sonic :

I would guess they did the Scotland - Iceland - Greenland - Newfoundland route.  That is how they would shuttle planes over to Europe in WWII.  The longest leg looks to be Scotland to Iceland with is around 600 miles.  With around 1000 miles range for the 182 RG it should not be too hard.

All that time over the North Atlantic would be pretty unnerving though!

Karacticus
3/5/24 7:47 p.m.
aircooled said:

In reply to Sonic :

I would guess they did the Scotland - Iceland - Greenland - Newfoundland route.  That is how they would shuttle planes over to Europe in WWII.  The longest leg looks to be Scotland to Iceland with is around 600 miles.  With around 1000 miles range for the 182 RG it should not be too hard.

All that time over the North Atlantic would be pretty unnerving though!

I think you get to do the North Atlantic crossing wearing a survival suit, so that's got to be comfortable. 
Mounting points for an HF radio antenna still remain in place-- it was strung from the roof just behind the windshield to the tip of the tail. 

Karacticus
3/5/24 7:53 p.m.
bbbbRASS said:

That's awesome, congrats! Would you consider going diesel down the road when you upgrade power plant?

I've not kept up on diesel aircraft engines, but they seem to have hit some kind of  obstacle-- unsure whether it's technical or just money for development and certification.

One challenge on the technical side I did hear about is that they can be a bit like turbines-- getting a relight at altitude when there's no turbocharger running to get the intake charge bootstrapped enough to get compression ignition could be an issue. 

rallyxPOS13
rallyxPOS13 GRM+ Memberand Reader
3/5/24 8:22 p.m.

Came in to say congrats!  It's a great looking plane, the retractable gear makes a huge difference. 

pres589 (djronnebaum) said:

At one point at work we had both the Cessna Mustang avionics hot bench and the Sovereign's avionics hot bench in the same room, with Sovereign's Honeywell Epic loud cooling fans and small displays vs. G1000 looking like what you're talking about.  Felt like I was walking into a shift change, and I guess I was.  I was an engineer on Sovereign when I started my career.

Then I saw this, and said "Hey, I've been in that room!" My collection of old crusty engineer mugs includes Bravo/Encore+, CJ4, Scorpion, some time hiding out in AD, and left while running a PC-12 through a copier.

ShawnG
ShawnG MegaDork
3/6/24 9:43 a.m.

In reply to Karacticus :

Probably certification. The amount of testing and time it takes to get an engine approved.  Then find someone to bankroll and document the installation so an STC can be approved, etc.

It took something like 30 years for Orenda to get their OE600 V8 certified and it was based on an already existing automotive engine. Then it got cancelled.

That's a long time to develop something that may be obsolete by the time it's finished.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
fapLuGw8kvZ5qnc1QtzuvpnPfyM1wNSpigNnKzsI44Gp6CsVq0J9F9YTDKvE22a8