Gimp
Gimp GRM+ Memberand Dork
11/24/09 8:01 a.m.

I know a few of you out there may be looking for work, or know people who are. I'm being bumped up by default, so I'm looking for someone to fill my current position. I have to warn you, that person would be stuck working with and sharing an office with me

Here's a copy of the job posting. If you have more specific questions, feel free to send me a message!

Simply put, I'm looking for a junior level web developer with some, well-rounded experience, but a strong desire to learn. Having an interest in working with NASA and/or Earth Science will go a long way. Also, I have no clue why Perl wound up a requirement, so don't worry about that.

Here is a copy of the actual posting, seen here: http://sigmaspace.com/sigma/openings.htm

Sigma Space is adding a Web Developer to our team to support work at Goddard Space Flight Center.

Requirements:

Work with a small team supporting award-winning NASA Web sites that promote public use of satellite imagery and scientific information about our home planet. Design, develop, and test multi-tier, user-friendly Web applications, translate user requirements into robust and consumer-friendly Web applications, and contribute creative ideas and development techniques.

Requirements: --BS or higher in Computer Science, Information Systems, or Web Design/Development

--Solid track record delivering successful Web-based applications through the full product life cycle

--Excellent PHP and moderate Perl scripting abilities

--Up-to-date knowledge of best practices in web application security (GWAS or equivalent)

--Proficiency with, Ajax, or similar web technologies

--Working knowledge of MySQL (4 or 5) database design and administration, SQL query optimization, and replication

--Strong written and verbal communication skills

--Demonstrated appreciation for user experience and user interface design

--Ability to learn quickly, self-direct on a small team, establish timelines, and deliver products within deadlines

--Experience documenting Web site designs (using flowcharts & wireframes)

Desired:

--Knowledge of LINUX system administration

--Knowledge of Squid Proxy, Apache and Load Balancing

--Web server security training (GWUX/GSIP, CISSP, or equivalent)

--Experience in user interface design, usability testing, information architecture development, and/or user experience design

--Experience with off-the-shelf Content Management Systems

--2+ years of commercial or government Web application development programming experience

--Understanding of Photoshop and basic graphic design principles

--Background in object oriented programming language

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
11/24/09 8:21 a.m.

Aww dude I would get a green card for that! I'm not even kidding! I'm missing the photoshop experience, bachelor's degree and web server security training though.... But super sweet job!

Gimp
Gimp GRM+ Memberand Dork
11/24/09 8:23 a.m.

I will make the general statement that things like photoshop and web security can be taught, and my degree was in Business Education. FYI

John Brown
John Brown GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
11/24/09 8:36 a.m.

Paul I would love to work with you... I am far less qualified than Gameboy.

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
11/24/09 8:49 a.m.

I used to do some work at Cape Canaveral in Florida and I used to love to say "Jeez, you'd need a rocket scientist to figure this out!" The mechanics would laugh and say "yeah, how many do you need? We got plenty!"

Gearheadotaku
Gearheadotaku GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
11/24/09 9:12 a.m.

Got all excited for a second then realized wrong NASA.

kpm
kpm New Reader
11/24/09 9:17 a.m.

To sweeten the pot..there is a Five Guys right across from the main entrance to GSFC.

Gimp
Gimp GRM+ Memberand Dork
11/24/09 11:56 a.m.
kpm wrote: To sweeten the pot..there is a Five Guys right across from the main entrance to GSFC.

Sounds like you're "in the know". Are you one of the Miatas running around campus?

Strike_Zero
Strike_Zero New Reader
11/24/09 12:02 p.m.

Hmmm . . . Both are tasty opportunities. . .

maroon92
maroon92 SuperDork
11/24/09 12:40 p.m.

mmmm. five guys....

Gimp
Gimp GRM+ Memberand Dork
11/24/09 1:26 p.m.

Alright... Five Guys lunch to the person who finds me a qualified candidate (once that candidate is hired).

mistanfo
mistanfo Dork
11/24/09 8:10 p.m.

Good luck finding the appropriate candidate. Did the seat ever come in handy?

Gimp
Gimp GRM+ Memberand Dork
11/25/09 11:09 a.m.
mistanfo wrote: Good luck finding the appropriate candidate. Did the seat ever come in handy?

So far it is working, but it's not bolted into anything yet.

Shameless plug - http://www.nastyz28.com/forum/showthread.php?t=131539

Also, please consider this to be a shameless bump for the job posting.

petegossett
petegossett GRM+ Memberand Dork
11/25/09 11:13 a.m.

So I gottta ask...I just noticed today they opened a Five Guys here in town. What's so special about it???

Strike_Zero
Strike_Zero New Reader
11/25/09 11:26 a.m.

Very tasty Fries and burgers :)

It's the only burger joint I'm actually. . . . full . . . . after eating . . .

I made the mistake of ordering large fries

Gimp
Gimp GRM+ Memberand Dork
11/25/09 12:02 p.m.

Great grilled cheese too.

cwh
cwh SuperDork
11/25/09 12:05 p.m.

I, too, just discovered 5 Guys here in SoFla. Also ordered the large fries. Ooofda. Burgers are great, fun place, free peanuts. Prices aren't bad, either.

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
11/25/09 12:18 p.m.

Pittsburgh is a little behind, we are still waiting for a 3 guys!

Gimp
Gimp GRM+ Memberand Dork
11/25/09 12:29 p.m.
pinchvalve wrote: Pittsburgh is a little behind, we are still waiting for a 3 guys!

You're doing it wrong...

http://pepboys.know-where.com/pepboys/cgi/selection?place=Pittsburgh%2c%20Pennsylvania&name=&country=US&design=default&lang=en&mapid=US

Manny, Moe, and Jack

cwh
cwh SuperDork
11/25/09 6:21 p.m.

Pittsburg has Primanti's.

Gimp
Gimp GRM+ Memberand Dork
11/27/09 12:33 p.m.

bump... some of you saw friends and family over the holiday... one or more of them may have complained about their current job...

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
VlZppwLWZl5DIqYawrOeP34hekuR8YNVW9ZsGVVNQ3sApR33WR7PR1EIzGjD5DLr