1 2
EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo GRM+ Memberand Mod Squad
6/28/18 7:39 p.m.

In reply to bentwrench :

But if they work fine then replacing them would just fill up the landfill unnecessarily. I love our Samsung plasma. I think it's going on 10yrs old. It was not cheap. I see no need to replace a perfectly good tv.

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
6/28/18 8:06 p.m.

In reply to Tony Sestito :

My Vizio from Walmart has 3 HDMI inputs as well as Comp inputs.  It's maybe 5 years old.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
6/29/18 8:24 a.m.
Ian F said:

In reply to Tony Sestito :

My Vizio from Walmart has 3 HDMI inputs as well as Comp inputs.  It's maybe 5 years old.

Just checked to compare. I bought the 55" LG in my living room last January. 

3 HDMI, 1 composite video, 1 USB in.

An AVR would help address the input issue if you don't already have one.

Enyar
Enyar SuperDork
6/29/18 8:57 a.m.

My Panasonic Plasma has been treating me well since 2011 or so. I know the previous one the "C" board died. A google with your model and symptons might lead you to a similar issue where you could just replace the board.

Enyar
Enyar SuperDork
3/20/21 12:24 p.m.

JINXED! My post in 2018 clearly jinxed me as the upper 1/4 of my 55" plasma has started to flicker. Given power consumption and my willingness to troubleshoot I think it will be time to retire it after 10 years of use in 4 houses. 

Funny enough I googled it quickly to see if it would be worth fixing and this post came up!

SkinnyG (Forum Supporter)
SkinnyG (Forum Supporter) UberDork
3/20/21 12:44 p.m.

My 50" Panasonic Plasma is still going strong since 2008. 

I did have to solder in a pair of 1uF capacitors to a daughter board when it shut off and flashed the power light 10 times, but that was in 2014.

Aaron_King
Aaron_King GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
3/20/21 6:29 p.m.

Our 55" Panasonic Plasma is still going strong, it is at least as old as SkinnyG's.  Fingers crossed and knock on wood, really don't want to get a new TV.

Damned zombie threads. I'm not replacing any of the TVs in the house. Nope. Not gonna happen.

Tony Sestito
Tony Sestito PowerDork
3/21/21 8:23 p.m.

ZOMBIE!!!! 

Oh, and somehow after the last "technical tap" I gave the original Panasonic plasma TV in question, it has worked great ever since. I replaced it in the living room with a 55" mid-level Vizio 4K unit, which is just OK. Picture is great, but sometimes it loses sound and I have to hard boot the thing, which is annoying. 

Oh, and the Panasonic? That moved to the office:

All my game systems are hooked up to it (some via my Retrotink 2X Pro upscaler), along with one of my PC's for video streaming. It gets used daily, and works fine. 

When all else fails, just smack it. 

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
4KL7XGfkOxBaYKbhBEpiW2OIw7Gi5VVaSpJAWskpNGe5gVVs7RHIeTH5L3aYgmhV