1 ... 4 5 6
pheller
pheller UltimaDork
3/6/24 4:12 p.m.
SV reX said:

In reply to Fueled by Caffeine :

The owners of these large heavy equipment companies don't go out and hire a few new guys when they get a new project.  They shift some of their existing labor force from other projects as needed. There are lots of delays in construction infrastructure projects. It's not hard for an equipment operator to shift from one project to another and cover several projects as needed. That's not job creation, it's schedule management. 

The other problem is that construction jobs are not permanent.  If a contractor "creates" a new "job" for a construction worker for a 4 month project, then uses the same worker on the next project for 5 months, then on the next project for 3 months, that's 3 jobs created, right? Of course not. It's 1 employee who worked on 3 different projects. And it's not job creation at all unless a new employee was hired (and hopefully became a permanent position).

Oh, and since infrastructure projects are all completed by large companies, the owners are often already wealthy, and the contracts are often awarded via cronyism.  It's not job creation, it's giving profits to friends.

This is probably why it seems like infrastructure projects take twice as long as residential/commercial projects. They aren't spending the money on more people, they are just riding those profits. 

I wish these infrastructure bills had more specific language about where the money can go. For example, 50% of the contract must be spent on wages and payroll for salaries at or below prevailing wage. And no scheduling of projects. Work must be started by a specific time and contract will not be fully paid unless the project is completed within a certain amount of time. 

Create jobs, not profits. I'm perfectly cool with an equipment operator making bank on government money, I'm less cool with the owner of the company making banks on government money while he underpays his staff and drags his feet on project timelines. 

SV reX
SV reX MegaDork
3/6/24 5:38 p.m.

In reply to pheller :

I agree. 

Government funded jobs almost always require wages at or ABOVE prevailing wage, not below.

Even with your more specific language, there will ALWAYS be loopholes (especially in large jobs like infrastructure).

When I lived in the Dominican Republic, I noticed some odd things in construction there.  There were hospitals with no staff, equipment, or supplies.  There were government buildings with no employees. Brand new, totally empty. Like they were built and no one moved in.  There were continuous road and bridge building projects, but no maintenance of the roads.  There were schools with no teachers. 

Then I realized why...

A large percentage of their revenue was from US Foreign Aid.  Aid money comes with strings attached. US taxpayers want to know their Foreign Aid money is being well spent.

"What did you do with our money?"

"We did fantastic infrastructure projects!  We built hospitals, and roads, and bridges, and schools, and facilities. And we created 100,000 jobs!"

"Terrific!  I'll tell my constituents how well their money was spent, and we will give you more!"

Nobody ever asked if they hired teachers, or doctors, or nurses, or road maintenance crews.  Those things take real ongoing revenue stream (taxes, etc), not one time stimulus or aid money.  

And the jobs created?  Construction jobs.  And it wasn't 100,000 jobs. It was 20,000 workers working on short term projects that got counted 5 times in the single fiscal year.  When you "hire" a construction worker you can hire him over and over again, and it's never a long term commitment. When you hire a doctor you have to figure out how to continue paying him year after year.

Sadly, I now see the exact same thing in the US.  Politicians know how to get their way, taxpayers are lazy and gullible and never put the time in to learn the intricacies under the surface, and "good works" can be measured as many times as possible for ongoing political gain.

Unfortunately, construction infrastructure projects lend themselves well to political manipulation.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
3/6/24 6:05 p.m.

In reply to SV reX :

A bit of an aside, but came to mind reading this.  If I ever get to be foreign minister, my aid will be to hand a guy in a Cessna a briefcase full of $20 bills, and tell him to scatter them over the small towns and squalid corners of the cities.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/20/24 5:53 p.m.

Saw news that the tech layoffs are now the worst since the dotcom bubble:

https://www.cnbc.com/2024/03/15/laid-off-techies-struggle-to-find-jobs-with-cuts-at-highest-since-2001.html

I've decided to stop looking for tech jobs until I'm not seeing smoke rising from the proverbial crater anymore.

mattm
mattm GRM+ Memberand Reader
3/23/24 11:34 p.m.

I work at a tech OEM here and we are hiring in pretty much every market. I currently am hiring for two open positions.  There are too many companies in tech that are growing while others are shrinking to ever voluntarily take yourself out of the market.  Check the 10Ks and look for companies that are growing and taking share.

calteg
calteg SuperDork
3/24/24 8:59 a.m.

In reply to mattm :

Can you elaborate on what those open positions are, and where?

mattm
mattm GRM+ Memberand Reader
3/25/24 11:40 p.m.

In reply to calteg :

Account executives (sales) and sales engineers all over the country.  I can give more detail in DMs or email if you are interested.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
3/26/24 11:48 a.m.
GameboyRMH said:

https://www.cnbc.com/2024/03/15/laid-off-techies-struggle-to-find-jobs-with-cuts-at-highest-since-2001.html

I've decided to stop looking for tech jobs until I'm not seeing smoke rising from the proverbial crater anymore.

As I mentioned, in this thread or a different one, almost all the layoffs are happening at companies that DRAMATICALLY overhired during the pandemic. Companies like Microsoft and Amazon increased their headcount by more than 60% in 2 years............in what world is that sustainable? 

We didn't do that at Oracle | NetSuite, hell I think we've hired 7 new Tech Writers just in the last 2 months. And there is hiring going on all over the rest of the GBU as well. Because we didn't go out and hire a bunch of people during the pandemic. 

DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 PowerDork
3/27/24 1:28 p.m.

I'm about to throw my hat in the ring again once I finish my Masters next month. I know that it won't make me much more marketable but it'll be a nice line to add on my resume. I'm loathing the idea; however, I need to find a way to get back to Central Florida so I'll be balls out look for more remote or in-person work to afford me that opportunity to be closer to my kids. 

calteg
calteg SuperDork
4/8/24 10:39 a.m.

Strange little coda to my job search:   Main recruiter at my former job contacts me Sunday morning. The VP who had been trying to kill off our division finally got ousted after  years of terrible business decisions.

Long story short, I went from unemployed to having an offer letter signed in less than 2 hours. Zero interviews, negotiated a salary bump as well. If you're struggling and feeling beaten down, your fortunes can change in the blink of an eye. Keep your head up!

Puddy46
Puddy46 Reader
4/8/24 10:43 a.m.

In reply to calteg :

That's awesome news.  And something tells me the recruiter was not having the weekend they had planned on having, considering a Sunday morning call.

calteg
calteg SuperDork
4/8/24 11:43 a.m.

In reply to Puddy46 :

Well, I'm not thrilled about the position (workload has effectively doubled), but I sensed some weakness due to the timing of his text. So I pushed negotiations pretty hard. Feels good to get off the interview treadmill, for sure.

Ranger50
Ranger50 MegaDork
4/8/24 12:14 p.m.

4 months. No change. Still unemployed. Upper management pushback to cut all costs has salaries for travel nurses to be LOWER than when I started 4.5yrs ago. That's on top of "refusing" to fill open positions because of "productivity" vs actually staffing for volume, which keeps increasing. Personally I see this resulting in longer hospital stays which line the administration and investor pockets while delivering substandard care. Staff positions are horrible.

CrustyRedXpress
CrustyRedXpress GRM+ Memberand Dork
4/8/24 4:59 p.m.
GameboyRMH said:

This seems self-defeating. Virtually every company has some sort of internal or external digital product, i.e is a "tech" company.

Looking through 10ks to see who is growing rapidly is great advice. No sense fishing in a dead hole.

1 ... 4 5 6

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ILIcYnOayahFdBGcTHAiEGMMAg85mqlATxY6OUckODpqcrdw1kypoxAEXnhsrJkR