1 ... 241 242 243 244 245 ... 398
NickD
NickD MegaDork
10/21/22 5:12 p.m.

Photos of the freshly repainted SNEX #5015 have surfaced online. The #5015 was originally D&H #5015 and in the 1970s, the D&H repainted it into an experimental livery with a bright yellow cab and running boards, yellow block lettering on the hood sides, and bright blue everywhere. It was likely a cost-savings measure over the more complicated lightning stripe livery. But the livery never took off and #5015 was the sole unit to wear the livery. Now, after all these years and several different owners and paint schemes, SNEX has put it back in the unique yellow and blue but with the snappy Batten Kill logo.

NickD
NickD MegaDork
10/21/22 6:56 p.m.

D&H #5015 in the experimental livery back in the '70s

NickD
NickD MegaDork
10/22/22 7:02 p.m.

Despite the complete fail on catching the Batten Kill, yesterday's drive was pretty amazing. From Bennington, VT to Brattleboro, VT, you take the Molly Stark Trail, a twisty back road that winds up and over Hogsback Mountain. This was the view from the top.

The view was something. There's not a sign of human civilization anywhere in that panorama. I also like how they have a distillery on top of the mountain, so you can get sauced up and then try to drive this twisty road down the mountain.

Also, I rented a room at a place called Purity Spring Resorts, and for the price I figured it was just a tiny motel tossing the resort name around. Nope, it's a genuine resort. The office was an old mill, or at least constructed to resemble one. My room has a view out over a natural pond. There's a hot tub, swimming pool, canoe rentals, a restaurant, hiking trails, the works.

NickD
NickD MegaDork
10/22/22 7:15 p.m.

So, first thing, I drove to North Conway and found the gorgeous 1894 depot that belonged to the Boston & Maine. It looks like a giant gingerbread house.

NickD
NickD MegaDork
10/22/22 7:27 p.m.

First, we backed down the ex-B&M Conway Branch from North Conway to Conway. Then they let us off at Hussey Field for the first photo runby. Those F7As are spotless.

Tacked on the back was Conway Scenic GP38 #255, originally of the Maine Central and recently purchased from the Vermont Railway. It acted as a helper up the ex-MEC Mountain Division, then cut off and ran light back to North Conway. I imagine that in the future it will be painted in the Maine Central Harvest Gold livery.

NickD
NickD MegaDork
10/22/22 7:37 p.m.

The scenery is really amazing on this line, especially once you get on the ex-MEC Mountain Division. The line skirts the edge of the mountains with a great view of the valley and the Presidential Range. There was an open air car at the very rear that the one gentleman and I went back to for a bit when we crossed Frankenstein Trestle

NickD
NickD MegaDork
10/22/22 7:47 p.m.

At Fabyan's Station in Bretton Wood, NH, they cut off GP38 #255 and ran it light south and the F7s were run around to the other end for the trip south.

NickD
NickD MegaDork
10/22/22 7:52 p.m.

They then ran south to just shy of Crawford Notch, where we were allowed to disembark for a photo op.

NickD
NickD MegaDork
10/22/22 8:01 p.m.

This was followed with a stop at a trestle. The spot where they had people get off for this photo runby was really tight, so they let about 3/4s of those taking photos off, and my location wasn't exactly great. Then they came back, made us all get on, let the other 1/4 off to take photos. Kinda frustrating. Also some moron, who was a real pain in the ass the whole time, crossed the tracks to the other side, then climbed a rock escarpment and tied us up for 15 minutes waiting for him to get down.

NickD
NickD MegaDork
10/22/22 8:11 p.m.

We stopped again at Frankenstein Trestle, but unfortunately the light was running out there. If we had not had to wait for the one guy to find a way down from the place he wasn't supposed to go in the first place, it probably would have been better. 

NickD
NickD MegaDork
10/22/22 8:16 p.m.

There was one last photo runby at Notchland, and then it was back to North Conway

NickD
NickD MegaDork
10/22/22 8:21 p.m.

At North Conway, I got some photos of the F7As as they waited at the yards, and then switched cars to clear the platform track.

NickD
NickD MegaDork
10/22/22 8:25 p.m.

And then I caught the last train of the day arriving from Conway behind the ex-N&W high-nose EMD GP35.

NickD
NickD MegaDork
10/22/22 9:58 p.m.

So, overall thoughts:

The locomotives were gorgeous and obviously well-loved. The passenger cars were also in very good shape and very nice inside. The scenery on the north end of the line is absolutely amazing, easily the prettiest ride I've ever taken. If you visit, take the Mountaineer, which is the run up to Crawford Notch.

The event as a whole was enjoyable, but the one crew member said that plans were "dynamic", which is a positive way of saying "The wheels have fallen off this bitch and we're making it up as we go."

First of all, the event was billed as the 470 Railroad Club Railfan Special, but was apparently not well-marketed, because there were a number of people aboard who had no idea that it was a different run, had no idea what a photo runby was or how to behave during one, and had no interest in a photo runby. This resulted in some people sitting aboard and griping about all the stops, and others getting off for the runbys and blundering through everyone's shots and being screamed at by the conductors to stay away from the tracks. There was one group in particular that literally got off for every runby, took no photos, and then was repeatedly told to back away from the tracks every time. Honestly, I was shocked that the conductors let them off at further stops. This also resulted in a lot of diehard railfans getting mad because no one would form a photo line and being unable to get good shots because people were milling around in their shots. One guy in particular, the same genius who climbed the rock escarpment and couldn't get down, was being a real dick about it though. Myself and the one gentleman at my table were ready to chuck him off a mountainside and hope no one noticed.

The first class service was also kind of a bust. The big advantage of first class over coach was that you had the option to eat a hot two- or four-course meal in the dining car. Except that we were immediately told there wouldnt be hot meals, because not enough kitchen staff showed up, so we would get the same box lunch as coach. But then we saw a very small amount of hot meals randomly filter out of the kitchen every once in a while for no real rhyme or reason, including one woman in our car who got one, then proceeded to literally not eat a bite, and then let it sit for the entirety of the trip and then threw it away. They also had a snack bar in a coach that was five cars back (the dining car was the third). This resulted in the weird instance of one of my table mates going up to the counter in the dining car to get a box lunch for his wife, then being told that he had to go back to the snack bar to order. He got back there and they didn't have any of what he wanted, so the snack bar cashier went forward to the dining car, got the sandwich, came back to the snack bar to hand it over to him, and then he went forward to the dining car it just came from to eat it. His wife opened it, there was no plasticware, he went forward to the dining car counter to get plasticware and they told him they didn't have any, he would have to go back to the snack bar to get some. He gave them a murderous stare and the one stewardess decided to go get it instead.

Also, on the return trip, when they did 4 out of the 5 runbys, the first class cars were on the rear. The conductors were only letting people off from the two cars closest to the engines. So if you were in first class, you were often the last ones off and most of the good spots were already taken.

It just seemed like everything needed a little more planning and polish. I'm not sure of all the specifics, but I got the feeling there was a lot of drama going on behind the scenes.

I also heard from 02Pilot that the car he was aboard didn't have a working PA system (they had a narrator explaining the local history and sights to look for) and that some of the cars lost Head End power.

Not really the railroad's fault, but, wow, I continued to be amazed by the average person as well. The tickets said that the train left at 9pm and to be there 45-60 minutes early and to add an hour of travel time as a precaution because North Conway be quite congested this time of year. Somehow there were still people that were late, because after backing down to Conway and then heading back north, we had to stop at North Conway to pick up some people who missed the train. Damned generous move by the railroad, if you ask me. Then, we were supposed to make a flag-stop pickup of some passengers at Attitash who specifically requested to be picked up there. The train gets to Attitash, they aren't there, so after waiting, they roll on, and then were forced to stop and wait at Glen, NH so that those people could drive up and meet us there to get aboard. At Fabyan's Station, when they ran the power around to head south, we were repeatedly told we could get off and watch the engines go by but to not cross the passing siding tracks. We get off and immediately people cross the tracks or are standing on the tracks as they're trying to run the engines around. I'd watch the conductor scream at one person to get out of the gauge, that person would comply, and then someone standing two feet from them would step into the gauge. Is the average person that dumb and inattentive these days? Don't answer that.

Ultimately it was a very good trip, and I'm glad I went. Just some observations on my part.

02Pilot
02Pilot UberDork
10/23/22 7:54 a.m.

I can concur with Nick's observations. It was a good overall experience, but there were specific failures that took away from it. Lack of communication was one (I was in the car with no PA), so I had no idea the first photo runby was taking place until we were in the middle of it, for example. The scenery is lovely, but also very much on one side of the train, so unless you were on it (I wasn't) you missed a lot; I didn't hear about the open car until 2/3rds of the way through the trip. The lack of hot meal service was a let-down as well - understandable, to a point, but a significant disappointment on a trip of that length. They seem to have a good group of people working the train, but they really had their hands a bit too full on this one.

The scenery overall was nice, but it was past peak foliage, especially in the mountains. If one were to go, late October is a bit too late, I think, and make sure you get seats on the correct side of the train (the east side as you are heading north out of North Conway).

I got a few photos - I'll get the digital stuff up shortly, but the film will have to wait.

NickD
NickD MegaDork
10/23/22 11:11 a.m.
02Pilot said:

The scenery is lovely, but also very much on one side of the train, so unless you were on it (I wasn't) you missed a lot; I didn't hear about the open car until 2/3rds of the way through the trip.

The scenery overall was nice, but it was past peak foliage, especially in the mountains. If one were to go, late October is a bit too late, I think, and make sure you get seats on the correct side of the train (the east side as you are heading north out of North Conway).

Probably due to the lack of PA again, but they had us swap sides on our car at Fabyan's when we turned around.

I imagine the late date was that they didn't want to tie up equipment and disrupt normal operations during peak foliage season, since I'm sure that's their big moneymaker. In a way, the leaves being down did have some advantages, because I'm sure leaves being on the trees would have blocked some of the views up in the mountains.

02Pilot
02Pilot UberDork
10/23/22 8:39 p.m.
NickD said:
02Pilot said:

The scenery is lovely, but also very much on one side of the train, so unless you were on it (I wasn't) you missed a lot; I didn't hear about the open car until 2/3rds of the way through the trip.

Probably due to the lack of PA again, but they had us swap sides on our car at Fabyan's when we turned around.

I imagine the late date was that they didn't want to tie up equipment and disrupt normal operations during peak foliage season, since I'm sure that's their big moneymaker. In a way, the leaves being down did have some advantages, because I'm sure leaves being on the trees would have blocked some of the views up in the mountains.

The seating in the car I was in was asymmetrical, so no opportunity to swap sides. We were at a table for two, while the other side of the aisle had 4-tops.

I'm sure they make a ton on regular service in the weeks prior, so I'm not at all surprised by the timing of the fundraiser.

NickD
NickD MegaDork
10/23/22 9:03 p.m.

On the return trip, I swung by Corinth, NY to visit the Saratoga, Corinth & Hudson, the new kid on the block in terms of NY tourist lines. Operated by Hal Raven, owner of a pair of switchers, it runs on 7 miles of the former D&H Adirondack Division that was purchased from the IPH bankruptcy liquidation. Iowa Pacific ran freight and passenger service from the CP interchange at Saratoga Springs up to North Creek and Tehawus. 

The SC&H began operation this May, using Raven's Alco S-1 that was the Alco Schenectady factory switcher, a flatcar converted to an open air car, and Iowa Pacific/Saratoga & North Creek passenger cars that were abandoned on the property when IPH imploded in 2018. A lot of the staff is also ex-Saratoga & North Creek, and their engineer worked on the D&H, CP, and S&NC. The Corinth "station" is a small clearing in the woods with gravel parking, a large wood-fired grille, and a Backyard Outfitters preconstructed shed powered by a Honda gas generator, mostly manned by Raven's family members.

The SC&H seems to already be cultivating a strong relationship with the community, which is a key to a lasting tourist operation. Today alone, they had a train to take kids to pick pumpkins and decorate them at a clearing down the line, they also had a classic car cruise-in where participants were given a free meal ticket, and a 50/50 raffle to benefit the local hockey team that generated $600+. 

The classic car cruise was a huge hit, a real surprise considering how late it was in the fall. One guy said he was literally driving his car to winter storage, saw another car turning into the parking lot and decided to follow him. The parking lot ended up overfull, and they sold out on food and the 1pm train, resulting in a run to the grocery store and an added third train of the day. There were some neat cars there too. My favorite was a super-rare 1947 Oldsmobile woodie.

I had prepurchased a ticket to ride in the cab of Alco #5 on the 1pm trip, which they offer on all trips. I swung aboard with the engineer and front brakemen and they lit off the 660hp Macintosh & Seymour 539, which is a 158 liter, naturally aspirated, 4-stroje inline-6. It's a gutsy, raspy, clattering thing that shakes, rattles and rolls the whole locomotive.

The engineer and brakemen were a fun pair to talk with. The brakeman was teasing the engineer about how on the 11am, while stopping at the pumpkin patch, the engineer accidentally goofed up and dumped the train into emergency. It had caused a minor panic with the rest of the train crew as they tried to figure out where the train had derailed or come apart.

The scenery is heavily wooded, interspersed with stretches through marshes. There's an old loading platform that has a mural painted on it, ironically of the now-defunct Saratoga & North Creek. 

There aren't active runaround tracks currently, so they have to make a shove back to Corinth. The brakeman departed the cab to rode on the platform of the rear car and give us a lookout. This left the engineer and I in the cab alone and we had a good chat on the way back.

He said the D&H, even in the throes of bankruptcy after the Guilford era, had been a terrific company to work for, treated all it's employees like family. He said CP was much less pleasant to work for, and when they sold off the line to IPH he went over to the Saratoga & North Creek, since he knew the territory. His summary of IPH was succinctly "They sucked." He did say that despite their failings, IPH did do some good during their time, they built up North Creek as a nice destination during their time. He also said that during the D&H era, the entire line was under a 10mph slow order, but IPH got it up to 25mph for freight 40mph passenger. SC&H runs at 20-25mph, in order to keep the 14 mile round trip of adequate length.

I asked how business had been this year, and he said astounding. Pretty much every train had been 100+ headcounts, and they had only had rain on two of the days they operated on. They had only had one mechanical failures, when the ragjoint coupmer on the auxiliary generator came apart, and that was on a day when they only had 30 passengers. He said every one of those passengers came back as soon as they were operational again and went for another ride. His appraisal was "Honestly, it's amazing how well we've done. We started operating in May, and in February we'd had a locomotive that looked like it just rolled out of a cancer ward, the open air car had a rotten deck and no swing or handrails, the passenger cars had all their windows smashed out and they spent days trying to get the brakes free, and the Pullman car was completely gutted."

On the future of the SC&H, he said they're trying to develop destinations for next year. They're discussing leasing an old farmhouse past the current turning point where they would be able to hold wagon rides and chicken BBQs. They're talking with Saratoga Springs about going there, since that's a big tourist site, but that's a ways down the road and they need to convince Saratoga that the railroad has something to offer them. North Creek wants them to run there, but he said that all the businesses the S&NC had helped develop have dried up and blown away and there's really no reason to go there. I asked if Raven's other Alco, D&H S-2 #3021, will be moving down to the SC&H from the Batten Kill Railroad and he said he guarantees it'll be on site before Christmas.

I asked what the status of the line from North Creek to Tehawus was. It had also been up for auction, and one buyer purchased it only for their finances to get held up and cause them to miss the deadline for the down payment. He said that that buyer had some railroad experience but also that some railroads had banned him from their property and that there was more to the down payment story than met the eye. As of right now, it looks like Revolution Railbike is taking over instead. I mentioned the rumor that Revolution Railbike wanted SMS Rail Services to run freight on the line. He laughed and said the odds of SMS wanting to be involved were slim to none. In his words, "SMS hauls freight, and does it well, but they run things the way they want to run things. They have no interest in clearing brush and cutting trees to move one or two cars a week at 10mph. We sat and talked with the Revolution folks and they're pretty naive on how the whole freight rail industry works." He said potentially the SC&H might haul the freight instead, if freight service actually materializes, since it would keep just two parties using the rails, SC&H and Revolution, instead of three.

All in all, it was a very pleasant trip, and I'm curious to see what the future holds for the Saratoga, Corinth & Hudson. I think Hal Raven seems like a smart guy, from what I saw of him, and a great people person. They definitely seem to be off to a good start and have good heads on their shoulders.

NickD
NickD MegaDork
10/24/22 1:39 p.m.
NickD
NickD MegaDork
10/24/22 1:39 p.m.
NickD
NickD MegaDork
10/24/22 6:41 p.m.

02Pilot
02Pilot UberDork
10/24/22 7:20 p.m.

Just a couple of mine from Saturday in New Hampshire:

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
10/26/22 8:00 a.m.

NickD
NickD MegaDork
10/26/22 12:29 p.m.

Photos of have been posted of the Batten Kill Railroad photo sessions, featuring SNEX #5012, SNEX #5015, BKRR #4116, and D&H #3021. On Friday, October 21st, I had swung by the Batten Kill in hopes of catching equipment out and about, and I had arrived there around 9:30ish, drove around the line, and after no signs of life, I had driven on, leaving the area around 10:30-11:00ish. Well, frustratingly, I missed it by that much, because according to someone in the area, they began moving the equipment down to Cambridge at around noon.

The SNEX RS-36 #5015 is ex-D&H and is back in the unique livery it was painted in by the D&H in the '70s. SNEX RS-36 #5012, in the D&H lightning bolt livery, is actually the sole machine that is not ex-D&H, being originally delivered to the Atlantic & Danville. The RS-3, #4116, was originally delivered to the D&H, and was later assigned to D&H subsidiary Greenwich & Johnsonville, the same rails that the Batten Kill operates over today, and was painted in the solid orange livery that it wears today. D&H was kind of unique in that it used distinct liveries for it's subsidiaries, like G&J and Napier Junction, instead of just the same coporate livery with different lettering. The S-2, #3021, actually belongs to Hal Raven's Raven Rail, and is an original D&H machine and has been restored to the black and yellow D&H livery that was applied to S-2s. From what I was told, the #3021 will be headed down to the Saratoga, Corinth & Hudson before Christmas to join Hal Raven's other Alco switcher there.

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
10/26/22 3:49 p.m.

Campers' D&H.  Ours had a big basket with a Honda when necessary, chain saw for dead falls, camping stuff and bear repellant.  (S&W) 

1 ... 241 242 243 244 245 ... 398

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
dX9469LuR2TTXsoKB20HUSLoJP9j4Qy4dzm1ZvnXfYFbod07YBWBRVQfyjE64lkf