1 ... 400 401 402
NickD
NickD MegaDork
9/29/24 7:19 p.m.

In the whole at Middlebury. The #307 is a GP40-2 and if you notice all the block-off plates where various extra headlights are, then you probably can guess that this is an ex-Southern Pacific engine. Well, ex-St. Louis Southwestern, but same thing.

NickD
NickD MegaDork
9/29/24 7:24 p.m.

The problem with this line is that the entire northbound way is horribly backlit the entire day. And the #405 was going to be on the north end the entire time, so that basically just relegated it to second fiddle. It was leading so that they could say that the Rutland RS-1 led over the entire remaining Rutland main line in VT, but there weren't going to be a lot of opportunities to photograph it.

NickD
NickD MegaDork
9/29/24 7:29 p.m.

The old Rutland depot still stands in Middlebury, although it's a restaurant and is not used by Amtrak. Turns out there's not much to really do for an hour and 40 minutes in Middlebury on a Sunday morning within walking distance of Amtrak station. Walked around a little bit, but ended up coming back and waiting near the siding we were in.

NickD
NickD MegaDork
9/29/24 7:37 p.m.

Fortunately the Ethan Allen Express was running on time (it originated in Burlington, so it didn't have too much time to get behind schedule), so we got set up for a photo line for the meet.

Aaaaaand, action.

NickD
NickD MegaDork
9/29/24 7:41 p.m.

Arriving in Burlington, we've got the old Rutland roundhouse to the left, crammed in between Lake Champlain and Burlington Yard. There was an array of EMD power gathered around, with Vermont Railway GP38-2 #206, Clarendon & Pittsford GP16 #802, and Green Mountain Railway GP9R #804 sitting at the southbound end of their Burlington-based dinner train,

NickD
NickD MegaDork
9/29/24 7:43 p.m.

The #405 sitting at the Amtrak platform in Burlington, as far north as we were headed.

NickD
NickD MegaDork
9/29/24 7:49 p.m.

Heading back south through Burlington Yard. On the right we have Clarendon & Pittsford GP38-2 #204. The Clarendon & Pittsford was originally a one mile long shortline ran from interchange with the Rutland at Florence, VT to the Vermont Marble Company. Vermont Railway purchased the C&P in 1972, and it experienced a significant expansion when it acquired the Rutland-Whitehall line of the former Delaware & Hudson in 1983. The C&P now serves as an interchange between Vermont Rail System and CPKC at Whitehall, NY.

NickD
NickD MegaDork
9/29/24 7:58 p.m.

You may have noticed this bizarre-looking beast in the background and been wondering what it is. Officially Vermont Railway is called a GP40FH-2. It began life as a New York Central GP40 and in 1987, Metro North and NJTransit had Morrison-Knudsen build a passenger locomotive with the cab, nose, frame and prime mover of a GP40, with the rear body of retired Burlington Northern F45s. They also had updated electrical control systems and head end power generators. They were eventually retired, but Iowa Pacific grabbed up a few, and this one did time working on the Saratoga & North Creek before the Iowa Pacific bankruptcy meltdown. Vermont Rail grabbed it up and it became VTR #313 and is usually assigned to their dinner trains based out of Burlington. One person more familiar with Vermont Rail System commented on the lunacy of how they have a locomotive with onboard HEP, but still use their baggage car that they converted to a HEP generator car, and then they sold off the CNJ cab car that they had but the #313 can't be operated in reverse, so they always have to pair up another locomotive on the other end and run push-pull.

NickD
NickD MegaDork
9/29/24 8:01 p.m.

That power on the other end of the dinner train was Green Mountain Railway #804. Once upon a time, this was a N&W GP9 but its received a chop nose, among other upgrades, over the years and is now classified as a GP9r.

NickD
NickD MegaDork
9/29/24 8:08 p.m.

With the #308 leading us south, we made some miles, hitting 50+mph wherever we could, which was pretty fun in that old open-window CNJ commuter coach with bouncy ride quality. And we motored all the way south to Middlebury to make a stop for our first photo shoot. And it was a pretty good one. The Rutland passed under downtown Middlebury through a tunnel and runs alongside of Otter Creek. The plan was to unload in someone's backyard (seriously), then walk up to the Cross Street bridge and get photos of the train emerging from the tunnel and running alongside of Otter Creek.

These were taken during the runby, and then they also said they would back into place for static shots.

NickD
NickD MegaDork
9/29/24 8:13 p.m.

These were very cool shots, but I couldn't help but think about how great they would have been with the #405 instead of the #308.

NickD
NickD MegaDork
9/29/24 8:15 p.m.

I walked back to get the #308 approaching to pick us up. That bridge is where the previous photos were taken from.

NickD
NickD MegaDork
9/29/24 8:23 p.m.

Shortly afterwards, we arrived at our next stop, Old Jerusalem Road in Leicester, VT. We got some neat photos at this little bridge where it crossed a marshy area.

NickD
NickD MegaDork
9/29/24 8:26 p.m.

The #308 approaching to pick us back up at Old Jerusalem Road. That's one of those clearance warning signs for a plow or spreader crew.

NickD
NickD MegaDork
9/29/24 8:34 p.m.

Our final stop of the day was a little further south at Leicester where this old Rutland Depot now is part of a farm supply business. We got a runby and some static shots.

She was really wheeling for this runby shot.

By the time we got to the static shots, the VTR crew was getting a little antsy about getting going, since they were going to be cutting it close on their service hours. There had been a planned photo stop at Proctor as well, but they just couldn't make it work, and didn't want to basically get stuck somewhere waiting on a new crew to come reliever ours.

NickD
NickD MegaDork
9/29/24 8:40 p.m.

So, day two was, I think a little bit better, in terms of how it was handled. We didn't get a ton of photo stops, and the #405 was pretty much relegated to second fiddle sadly, but they were trying to work around a couple obstacles and make it work. I still don't get how they were blindsided by the #405's speed restriction and having to work around the Ethan Allen Express. Neither of those were sudden or recent developments. Honestly, I think I preferred the original plan of #405 leading in both directions and only going to Middlebury, but I understood people's complaints and I think not going the full distance both days really would have been a bad look.

So, some good news. I got my hotel extended a day, since I already had Monday off. What's the plan? Well, on Friday, when we caught the northbound deadhead move of the #405 meeting train 263 at Ludlow, Kevin Burkholder mentioned that the #405 was going to be deadheading back to Bellows Falls on Monday. I talked to him today, and confirmed that around 7am, the #405 is indeed running from Rutland back to Bellows Falls, running long hood forward (correct for an RS-1) and towing the passenger cars. Well, if I was disappointed with Saturday's photo ops, this gives me a chance to get the shots that I didn't get.

1 ... 400 401 402

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
RdhyeLWUzbpSUR5CFKekIOHsUwEMURD39dGTiqaYmDE2KNTqDadBfWCUXX4jKF2Q