1 ... 24 25 26 27 28 ... 43
Hoop
Hoop SuperDork
7/16/10 2:36 p.m.

We had a small room last night. 35 minutes on the `Ring was BRUTAL.

JG Pasterjak
JG Pasterjak Production/Art Director
7/16/10 2:55 p.m.

We had planned to do 60min, but by the time we got all set up and the late comers showed it was like 945 and we decided to go for 30. Still a great distance.

jg

Marty!
Marty! Dork
7/16/10 3:21 p.m.

Of course I was bringing up the rear just as I expected too. I suck just as bad at virtual racing as I do in real racing. Still had loads of fun.

Still waiting for Tommy to dominate though..............

JG Pasterjak
7/16/10 5:09 p.m.

Yeah, Tommy was right in the mix in his first race. I have a feeling he's going to be trouble in a couple of weeks.

jg

Platinum90
Platinum90 SuperDork
7/16/10 11:07 p.m.

I got punted by AI cars in the first corner. I was only 200 feet from the back of 3rd place when my girlfriend walked in front of the TV...needless to say, it's hard to recover from a shiny side down incident! I feel like I had a car to contend at the N-ring, but the early bout with the wall left my top speed about 20MPH deficient.

(I know, excuses, excuses.)

oldtin
oldtin HalfDork
7/16/10 11:53 p.m.

I think you were closing on me in the twisty bits, but I had enough top end left to hold - I got tangled with one of the AIs from the 3rd corner to about the 6th as well

friedgreencorrado
friedgreencorrado SuperDork
7/17/10 12:01 a.m.

Sorry I missed it! Sounds like some real carnage out there (if y'all will forgive the pun). My "just keep it on the road" strategy might have actually worked last night! Oh, well..maybe next week.

And of course, any GRM folks that see me on during the week, set up a lobby and let's "practice". I also sometimes will set up a private lobby (no line, only aid ABS or automatic, real circuits) and wait 20min or so to see if anyone wants in. Can someone please tell me whether or not I show up as "Joinable" in the friends' list next time you see me online?

friedgreencorrado
7/17/10 12:16 a.m.

Oh, forgot to mention..if it looks like I'm playing Halo, it ain't me. The Box actually belongs to our boarder. His machine, my online account, a pretty good trade off for the moment.

oldtin
oldtin HalfDork
7/17/10 12:20 a.m.

I was suffering rookie-itis. I've been getting good starts, but carrying too much entry speed into the first corners before I settle down. Then over-driving to compensate. You'd think I would learn. Had some good dicing going with lagunaroadster later at Road America - side by side, swapping positions (without contact) for a while with the gulf dino.

^I think I've been able to join you in some sessions. I'll keep a lookout for you.

Platinum90
Platinum90 SuperDork
7/17/10 7:11 a.m.

yeah, I had a pretty good roll all by myself at about 24 minutes in if anyone saved a replay.

Platinum90
Platinum90 SuperDork
7/22/10 7:12 a.m.

Looks like I won't be around tonight to compete. It's the day I was born, so My GF is cooking me dinner and taking me out to a movie.

Have fun guys! I will be back for Le Mans next week.

ansonivan
ansonivan HalfDork
7/22/10 12:59 p.m.

Spent a few hours learning Road America this week, track is still kicking my ass. I'm having trouble with braking points, my tiny tv does not help.

Marty!
Marty! Dork
7/22/10 2:02 p.m.

I should be on later tonight though I promised my boy he can play too. So if my Dino starts getting wonky on you guys I blame him, he's only 10 - though now that I think about it he tends to play a hell of a lot better than me.

N Sperlo
N Sperlo New Reader
7/22/10 4:25 p.m.

I'm out of town guys, so count me out tonight. The 9 inch TV in the in-laws guest room combined with the wireless connection just isn't great for online play. You may see me playing single player at some point.

Enjoy

Capt Slow
Capt Slow HalfDork
7/23/10 1:13 p.m.

How did things go last night. I was again stuck at work too late to participate....

Marty!
Marty! Dork
7/23/10 9:52 p.m.

I can't speak for the west coast, but the on the EC there was only Oldtin, JG, and myself. JG had network problems and after a 1/2 hour I had to got to work so as far as I know you didn't miss anything.

friedgreencorrado
7/24/10 1:02 a.m.

I'm thinking that maybe we should stop calling them the "East Coast" and "West Coast" rooms, but the "early" and "late" rooms. IIRC, I got a 2nd at Road America , but it was with oldtin, and somebody else from the East. I screwed up saving the replay, so there's no evidence.

And once again, great fun playing "spec" rahal (stock tuning on, since we'd rather run races than figure out what each other was using for spec builds in other series).

N Sperlo
N Sperlo New Reader
7/24/10 5:00 p.m.

Myself and the Captain of the Slow are going to revive the rear end of the late races this week.

JG Pasterjak
7/24/10 5:15 p.m.

I got screwed by the int3rw3bz for some reason. I was there ready to roll and couldn't connect to the room. My plans to run the west coast race disappeared into Arkham Asylum and sleep.

I'll be back Thursday, however, and hopefully the internet will be kinder.

jg

Capt Slow
Capt Slow HalfDork
7/27/10 10:18 a.m.

You know it! DFL here I come

N Sperlo
N Sperlo New Reader
7/27/10 5:35 p.m.
Capt Slow wrote: You know it! DFL here I come

LOLz

racerfink
racerfink Reader
7/27/10 8:27 p.m.

So, I didn't lose any points? Sweet!

friedgreencorrado
7/27/10 11:44 p.m.
racerfink wrote: So, I didn't lose any points? Sweet!

Bah. Only way I could catch you would be to drag my Alpina E9 (three liters plus Forza's "displacement increase" upgrade) out while the rest of y'all actually followed the rules. No substitute for cubic centimeters? If Forza was realistic enough, you'd hear this..

/track PA on/

Will the driver of car number 71, class 3AL please report to the Stewards on the third floor of the tower. Repeat, driver of number 71, Triple Awesome League, please see the Stewards on the third floor of the tower!"

/track PA off/

Damn...I knew I'd get caught in a teardown, why did I do it anyway?...

Funny thing, back when I was an SCCA corner worker (we partied with the workers from the other "specialties", including Tech Inspectors, every night & heard all their stories) we all noticed that the really fast guys were hardly ever cheating (except in Showroom Stock). It was always the guys running in last half of the top 10, because they just couldn't get that last couple of tenths a lap. I always ran legal, but never really got close enough to the front to even be tempted.

Perhaps the best description of my short time as a real racing driver is that I never got good enough to get protested. Still, though..when you're doing the best you can with what you have, it's a very rewarding sport. I still recall looking at the results, seeing my 14th OA/8th in class (Improved Touring B) place, and being downhearted. My older buddy who built the car came up to look, and immediately started pointing to some of the guys I'd actually beat.

"We spent less money than that guy. we spent less money than that guy..." Didn't feel so bad after that.

racerfink
racerfink Reader
7/28/10 9:48 a.m.

In SM, I'm pushing 112hp at the wheels, and usually finishing in the top ten out of 40 or more cars. A really good 1.6L is probably about 120hp at the wheels. Some of the cars that I lap, seem like they have 20 or more hp than that, they are THAT fast in a straight line. They'll actually break the draft on me, even though I come out of the corner some 10 to 15mph faster.

"Those guys MUST be cheating, cause I am, and they're beating me!"

friedgreencorrado
7/29/10 2:02 a.m.
racerfink wrote: In SM, I'm pushing 112hp at the wheels, and usually finishing in the top ten out of 40 or more cars. A really good 1.6L is probably about 120hp at the wheels. Some of the cars that I lap, seem like they have 20 or more hp than that, they are THAT fast in a straight line. They'll actually break the draft on me, even though I come out of the corner some 10 to 15mph faster. "Those guys MUST be cheating, cause I am, and they're beating me!"

LOL! Actually, racerfink...that's the kind of crap I was talking about. SM fields are even larger than the IT fields I raced in during IT's "heyday". You're getting top ten results in a 40 car field? There's a lot of guys out there with you that are so sure you and the other 9 guys on the "leaderboard" are cheating (even though you're not) that they cheat. I've often said that motor racing is the most "honest" sport in the world. Some folks are honest enough to admit their falings..but some are not. Doesn't matter if we call `em poseurs..they have the money that we don't. And we all know that money disguises a lot of lack of talent when the poseurs arrive in the paddock.

Eh, only thing I could suggest is remembering the car numbers of the guys who have go blowing by you on the straight, and filing a protest & teardown bond (don't know if you're SCCA or NASA). Of course, it you don't have the cash to post the bond, that's not an option. My approach to such a thing was not a practical one, but a philosophical one..if the assclown needs to cheat to beat me, I'm still better than he is.

Can you tell by my rationalization that I never had the dough to insist upon a teardown?

1 ... 24 25 26 27 28 ... 43

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
CZ2wOfeoZ9HqpNsBOKoUMNwfg9TqU6sV9bqhKx72KW4Q3DTWVoZj5MUr8agEtqMU