1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 13
daeman
daeman Dork
1/5/19 5:31 p.m.

In reply to RevRico :

The springs and things are a drum brake hardware kit. Retaining springs and pins as well as return springs

MazdaFace
MazdaFace Dork
1/5/19 7:11 p.m.

My box was awesome, first off. Had a ton of cool stuff that will be going up in the shop. And a few things that were very appropriate. Gonna post a few pictures so y'all can check out my haul 

MazdaFace
MazdaFace Dork
1/5/19 7:17 p.m.

MazdaFace
MazdaFace Dork
1/5/19 7:20 p.m.

Anyone know what cylinder is from? There was also what appeared to be the world's first wastegate maybe? I'll post a better picture of that in a few because I am probably way off the mark

Robbie
Robbie GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
1/5/19 11:29 p.m.

Here's mine! Because of customs, mine had a menu on the outside of the box:

Also, the "whatever happens, do not send this junk back to me" box was checked.

So, onto the contents!

Holy moly it is packed! 

I think this is a paint icicle...

A totally sweet aluminum clamp. Seriously this thing weighs almost nothing. Says atlas. What is this for clamping? The foot is a little weird.

This looks to be a genuine trouble light from one of the explorers used in Jurassic Park. Doesn't currently light up - I'll have to see if I have any Australian batteries.

I'm also stumped by this. A piece of carbon fiber? It looks like it might be the blade in this drawing...

A better-than-snap-on screwdriver, a wrench and an unused postcard!

Dude, these are awesome. I cannot wait to read more about the solar stuff.

Cool.

I will try this tomorrow morning for breakfast.

Very cool.

Grm New year's inception. There was a box within my box holding all this small stuff. Wow! 

Totally cool. 

Thank you so much! Super thoughtful and I will let you know how the Vegemite goes!!

daeman
daeman Dork
1/6/19 12:38 a.m.
Robbie said:

Here's mine! Because of customs, mine had a menu on the outside of the box:

Also, the "whatever happens, do not send this junk back to me" box was checked.

So, onto the contents!

Holy moly it is packed! 

I think this is a paint icicle...

A totally sweet aluminum clamp. Seriously this thing weighs almost nothing. Says atlas. What is this for clamping? The foot is a little weird.

This looks to be a genuine trouble light from one of the explorers used in Jurassic Park. Doesn't currently light up - I'll have to see if I have any Australian batteries.

I'm also stumped by this. A piece of carbon fiber? It looks like it might be the blade in this drawing...

A better-than-snap-on screwdriver, a wrench and an unused postcard!

Dude, these are awesome. I cannot wait to read more about the solar stuff.

Cool.

I will try this tomorrow morning for breakfast.

Very cool.

Grm New year's inception. There was a box within my box holding all this small stuff. Wow! 

Totally cool. 

Thank you so much! Super thoughtful and I will let you know how the Vegemite goes!!

Glad you enjoyed it mate, it was fun putting it together for you. 

Yes, that's a paint icicle, I got a bunch of them when I worked in a paint factory, they used to build up under the motor mount 

The "atlas" clamp is a vulcanising clamp for patching tyres

The torch was amongst a number of things given to me by an old guy who lived across the street when I was helping him move out, it should work, it  takes d cells.

The carbon fiber blade is a regift, from memory it was something printing related. 

Glad you like the old magazines, I was going to give you a couple of old popular mechanics mags but figured you'd enjoy reading the solar stuff.

Hot wheels..... Aren't toy cars pretty much a madatory item? 

Enjoy the vegimite, less is more to begin with. If all else fails, pretty sure ECM will take it off your hands if you don't like it lol

I can't take credit for box in a box, it came to me full of small stuff from East coast mojo, I just reused it.

I found the highway patrol badge in a car I purchased. Funny story, I knew he was a cop when I was buying the car. We were having a chat, making small talk and I asked him what he did, he tells me "general duties", I laughed and said "phew, at least you're not highway", we both had a bit of a laugh at the expense of highway cops, trading a few jokes and we end up negotiating a fair price..... Get the car home and start cleaning it and find the badge...... Boy did I feel sheepish when I gave him a call to let him know he'd missed a few things. We both had a good laugh about it.

Katya4me
Katya4me New Reader
1/6/19 11:06 a.m.

I got to open Moxnix's package this year and it contained all sorts of great stuff.   It did have to sit for a couple of days as we didn't want to open it until our package went out and that happened yesterday. 

Start with the mailing label and it weighs 10 lbs. 4.6 oz., then I opened it from the bottom.  Oops...

Pic #1:

Honda brake pads, 2 Hot Wheels cars, motorcycle alarm clock ( as yet untested), very long and old tow strap (perhaps), 2 rubber battery terminal covers, TRD patch, 3(!!) 10mm sockets, and assortment of metric and imperial sockets in a ziplock bag along with more in the cardboard box and 3 HF socket rail organizers.  In the little plastic container was an adorably small 10mm wrench, 2 AA batteries, 2 books of matches from hotels, a business card and a single-use packet of hand lotion.

Pic #2:

2 long zipties and 3 medium length zipties, 3 plastic cones to boost my self-confidence, 2 packages of brake and caliper grease packets, the 2019 NASA-SE track schedule, electrical tape, 1 unused right-hand leather glove, cool sunglasses and 2 flashlights.  Using the batteries from the above picture, determined that both flashlights do work. Woot!!

Pic #3:

1 unsharpened Cars movie themed pencil, 2 Rock Auto pens (I didn’t know they were giving out pens now), 2 Whiteline stickers, a plastic hose connector of unknown purpose, peppermint bark squares (yum!!), 2 brass radiator fittings, a red plastic circle with + sign on it, hinge pin door stop, empty Kodak film case, nifty little Michelin zipper pouch with earbuds and USB cigarette lighter charger inside, some kind of cutter with a great handle, chocolate marshmallow snowman, battery terminal connector, and a brittle plastic cap of unknown origin.  This was all topped with a very nice note.   Thank you LopRacer. :)

LopRacer
LopRacer Dork
1/6/19 2:42 p.m.

In reply to Katya4me :

Glad you liked it, some of the loot is ,sticking with tradition, re-gift from last year and years past. The single glove, the  orange cutter, battery terminal covers, electrical tape, and hose quick connect. Possibly more was re-gift as I have the box open in the shop all year collecting stuff.  Turns out Rock Auto does have pens, they send a bunch to us at the work about once a year in an attempt to get students to  use them for parts supplier. 

RedGT
RedGT Dork
1/6/19 4:13 p.m.

Those flashlights/ torches mentioned as being from jurassic park explorers...i never noticed that detail but i think they are a ford supplied part, we had them stashed all over the house when dad worked at a ford dealer in the late 90s.

java230
java230 UltraDork
1/6/19 7:32 p.m.

In reply to MazdaFace :

Glad you enjoyed it! Always fun to put together.

It is a Wastegate, from a 951. Goes along with the chip, that's the OE prom that holds the OE tune.

Thats a clutch slave off a sw30 Mr2. Somehow I had 2 in my parts pile?

The coil and data plate are regifts, from HungaryBill, iirc the data plate was off a NASA something. 

MazdaFace
MazdaFace Dork
1/6/19 7:49 p.m.

In reply to java230 :

Awesome!!! Cassie's (SWMBO) favorite thing was the little cat pouch thing. Is that from anything in particular or just neat tiny cat pouch? 

MazdaFace
MazdaFace Dork
1/6/19 7:50 p.m.

lol

java230
java230 UltraDork
1/6/19 8:12 p.m.

In reply to MazdaFace :

I think it's meant to be a wallet, picked it up in Japan And decade or two ago... I don't remember beyond that! 

Professor_Brap
Professor_Brap HalfDork
1/6/19 10:13 p.m.

Fun fact, the Mrs. loves this so much we have a box in the laundry room dedicated to collecting stuff for next year. 

Got my box Friday evening per the neighbors, but just got home tonight due to going to pick up a car a guy was not so truthful about. 

First layer: 
Neon Engine Repair Kit (will use and have used before to get home),

safety glasses (need to use more)

Paint brushes (shamelessly used today)

GRM 2012 calender (hung it up today to confuse everyone)

Drawing Compass (will use a ton)

Second Layer:
GRM sticker <3

Wire (will use)

Gloves

Tool bag (already made its way into my car ;) )

Compass clipper 

Gloves 

Sharpie (does anyone have enough of thoes truly)

Air pisser 

Whiz wheels 

Wrench I haven't had a chance to measure what sizes they are

Item I have not figured out what it is yet. 

Little racket socket set (made its home on my Ferguson 135)

Layer Three: 
Thermostat for a 3.3 Caravan 

Throttle body for 3.3 Caravan (Fun fact made my Holly) 

Head unit case (havent seen one in years) 

Audi 4000? Trans mount 

Audi 4000? Speedo

A what I belive is a brake cyl for a Audi also 

Audi/VW key? 

Top hat for???

Steering rack bushing for a Golf 

I spent WAY to long looking to see what the piston/rod was from, Id really like to know. It looked at first glance like one for a single thumper Norton. 

My favorite item by far, I'd love some more info on what "tune" is on it if anyone knows. 

FWDPerformance computer. 

Patrick
Patrick GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/6/19 10:25 p.m.

In reply to Professor_Brap :

Window crank clip remover tool

Professor_Brap
Professor_Brap HalfDork
1/7/19 8:48 a.m.

In reply to Patrick :

Havent seen one that style, the one I use is super different. 

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
1/7/19 8:52 a.m.

Any stampings on the piston/ rod?

Greg Smith
Greg Smith HalfDork
1/7/19 9:11 a.m.

In reply to Cooter :

No worries on the T-Shirt, I appreciate everything you sent! :)

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
1/7/19 9:51 a.m.

My package arrived on Friday. I didn't get a chance to open it, and now, given the day I'm having so far, I'm glad I have something to look forward to later on.

Ashyukun (Robert)
Ashyukun (Robert) GRM+ Memberand UberDork
1/7/19 10:06 a.m.

So, finally got around (last week... -_- ) to taking pictures of the box I received. Unfortunately with the show coming up Saturday I'm always scrambling around taking care of something at home, so I have to get creative to post this from work (which is challenging since I can't directly access the pictures in any place I've got them)... So here's hoping this works.

Here's the box as it arrived- not terribly heavy, but hey', it's certainly not light either. I didn't immediately recognize the zip code, but it looks to be from near where I called 'home' before taking the transfer out to Kentucky coming up on 14 years ago: southern CT.

Opened up so the first layer of contents can be seen.

First layer unpacked- a promotional bottle of tire dressing, a polyester lunch bag, two Subaru fan resistors (with a note one might be good), a push-rod replacement kit for a small engine (with 2 bent pushrods), and a drink coozie from Danbury, CT (which confirms my assessment on the zip code).

I honeslty have NO idea what these are exactly other than shell casing welded/soldered onto pins. Something used for reloading the shells? Some kind of drug paraphenalia I'm not familiar with?

Stickers! Magnets! And... resistors???

More Subie parts- used front brake seals, what looks to be a side marker light, a BOV? with a broken-off vacuum nub, and a rather nice valve stem tool. Whoever send this definitely is in to Subarus... or just has lots of the parts for them lying around!

Probably the most surprising part of this box- a set of -working- DeWalt 18v tools- impact driver, drill, 2 batteries, and a charger. Tested it out and they appear to work just fine- note on one of the batteries says that one battery is in better condition than the other. A much more valuable set of tools than what I included in the box I sent! I already have my own set with both of these, but if the impact works well I may take it with me to the junkyard instead of my current one. Thanks!

Kind of neat little compact interchangeable bit driver, what looks to be the starter switch for some kind of industrial motor, and if I'm not mistaken (I'm 2+ decades from having been actively involved with anything R/C) a motor from an RC car/plane/etc, given it looks a lot different than I remember perhaps one of the newer brushless ones?

This was pretty cool- included in this box was the box the sender themselves recieved last year- it was apparently too damaged to use to actually send things but was definitely very cool to have included... I wish I were half as artistic enough to have done something like this (may have to pull in the Dancer to help next year, she's WAY more artistic).

A set of what I assume is correct are disc brakes from a bicycle.

Several promo sheets (signed) for two Lotus racecars.

And finally- a Porsche Panorama magazine(?) and a an old MGB users manual.

Definitely some interesting and different things! Haven't been able to figure out exactly who sent it, but thank you!

KyAllroad (Jeremy)
KyAllroad (Jeremy) PowerDork
1/7/19 10:12 a.m.

Oy, I got my box Friday and opened it Saturday.  It came from headquarters, apparently Mr David Wallens drew me this year so I knew it would contain some good stuff.

Stickers, swag, magazines, t-shirts, a hat modeled by my spawn, more stickers.  All told a very very cool collection of automotive paraphernalia.  Thank you sir.

Because I was seriously remiss my box went out today and is supposed to arrive somewhere in the frozen north by Wednesday.

JohnInKansas
JohnInKansas Dork
1/7/19 11:04 a.m.

In reply to Ashyukun (Robert) :

Somebody else could chime in the actual use for those shell casings, but I'm betting empty chamber safety indicators. If you can see the attached handle, there's no round chambered.

Greg Smith
Greg Smith HalfDork
1/7/19 12:06 p.m.
JohnInKansas said:

In reply to Ashyukun (Robert) :

Somebody else could chime in the actual use for those shell casings, but I'm betting empty chamber safety indicators. If you can see the attached handle, there's no round chambered.

*that* makes a lot of sense. 

Looks like you could also hold the shell casings and place hard boiled eggs on the handle end to dye Easter Eggs... But your use, I think, is correct. 

Professor_Brap
Professor_Brap HalfDork
1/7/19 12:09 p.m.
SVreX said:

Any stampings on the piston/ rod?

Nothing that showed up on the googler. 

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
1/7/19 1:04 p.m.
Professor_Brap said:
SVreX said: