1 2
Mezzanine
Mezzanine HalfDork
2/19/16 3:20 p.m.

In reply to alfadriver: That is really interesting! I bet it would serve pretty well for pizza. Too small for bread on residual heat though.

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
2/19/16 4:07 p.m.

In reply to Mezzanine:

Some of the ovens I've seen use just one layer of heat brick. And I've thought that an easy (but heavy) way was to line the outside of the FrankenWeber with heat brick instead of the light cast concrete. Theoretically, one could cut and assemble the top part with heat brick as well.

Would that be enough? Dunno. It would be better than the super light weight concrete, for sure.

It would also be interesting to see how heavy the fire bricks are.

Mezzanine
Mezzanine HalfDork
2/19/16 4:12 p.m.
alfadriver wrote: In reply to Mezzanine: Some of the ovens I've seen use just one layer of heat brick. And I've thought that an easy (but heavy) way was to line the outside of the FrankenWeber with heat brick instead of the light cast concrete. Theoretically, one could cut and assemble the top part with heat brick as well.

Wrap that sucker in ceramic blanket material. Then coat with stucco. Light weight and excellent insulator! Of course any of these options take away from the portable nature of the FrankenWeber, which defeats the purpose for that style.

Portability isn't my aim, but experimenting with something like that might be fun.

Which reminds me - I have a big shallow concrete bowl that is a few feet across that I never used...maybe it needs to serve as a mold? It is like a bird bath, but three feet in diameter. I'll dig it out of the weeds and take a look.

daeman
daeman HalfDork
2/19/16 4:55 p.m.

You can freeform a dome using wet/damp sand. Basically build your flat base first. Then put a big pile of sand on it. Pat it down and smooth it into the shape you want for the inside of your oven. Proceed to build your dome over the sand mound and leave it to dry. Once the dome has dried dig the sand out and your good to go.

Mezzanine
Mezzanine HalfDork
2/20/16 3:50 p.m.

In reply to daeman: Great idea! Some plastic wrap over the sand might help keep everything smooth with the brick mortar too.

We've got a kitchen remodel to focus on for the next few months, so my outdoor kitchen will have to wait a little longer.

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
2/20/16 8:39 p.m.

Huh. I wonder how much the technology from the home-built forge would translate into an oven. If you could somehow weatherproof the plaster/sand mix, it might work out well.

https://www.youtube.com/embed/hHD10DjxM1g

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
CrdLl6Wyruhmy09HXNvMhNOq6iibI0qN1OAJNbBxhtR3mvEQHY0vtWLwNEeBNZxk