1 ... 29 30 31 32 33 ... 65
spitfirebill
spitfirebill UltraDork
1/11/13 10:20 a.m.
tuna55 wrote:
yamaha wrote: Wait, tuna....what is wrong with automatic weapons again? And why do you want them removed from the constitution? Someone here posted the figures, something like two legal FA's have been used in crimes since the 30's....
Sorry, nothing, I was just giving examples. I think it might be reasonable to require extra checks for truly automatic weapons, but that's my opinion and I'm just throwing a bunch of crap out there.

You must have no idea what it takes to get a full auto.

yamaha
yamaha SuperDork
1/11/13 10:21 a.m.

In reply to spitfirebill:

Thats about what I was going to say, +1 sir.

Strizzo
Strizzo UberDork
1/11/13 10:37 a.m.
spitfirebill wrote:
tuna55 wrote:
yamaha wrote: Wait, tuna....what is wrong with automatic weapons again? And why do you want them removed from the constitution? Someone here posted the figures, something like two legal FA's have been used in crimes since the 30's....
Sorry, nothing, I was just giving examples. I think it might be reasonable to require extra checks for truly automatic weapons, but that's my opinion and I'm just throwing a bunch of crap out there.

fingerprints, photos, $200 tax stamp, signature from chief LEO of your area, wait forever for ATF to process, PLUS the likely 5 figure price tag of the gun itself.

tuna55
tuna55 UberDork
1/11/13 10:47 a.m.
Strizzo wrote:
spitfirebill wrote:
tuna55 wrote:
fingerprints, photos, $200 tax stamp, signature from chief LEO of your area, wait forever for ATF to process, PLUS the likely 5 figure price tag of the gun itself.

Nononononono

guys, I am not saying I think there ought to be additional things required to buy an auto. I am saying that it might be OK that there are things above and beyond a shotgun to get an auto. There are currently, I get that. What I am saying is that we should agree to what these things are (whether they are more or less intrusive than they are currently) and then put it in an amendment.

Remember, an amendment is amending the constitution. The constitution has no provision currently for regulating automatic weapons. Adding them to the constitutions doesn't mean that the current laws have to change at all necessarily, they might get more lenient, in fact, I am simply saying that they ought to be part of the constitution (or, it ought to explicitly state that they are not further regulated if that's the conclusion)

yamaha
yamaha SuperDork
1/11/13 10:53 a.m.

This is precisely the problem with the world right now, people talk and make assumptions on things they don't understand.

Not a personal attack tuna, I sincerely want to hope you just didn't know

tuna55
tuna55 UberDork
1/11/13 11:02 a.m.
yamaha wrote: This is precisely the problem with the world right now, people talk and make assumptions on things they don't understand. Not a personal attack tuna, I sincerely want to hope you just didn't know

Not at all, please reread my post above yours, what I was saying has nothing to do with current automatic weapon regulations, nor was I giving any of my positions on automatic weapons.

yamaha
yamaha SuperDork
1/11/13 11:16 a.m.

Touche salesperson.

slantvaliant
slantvaliant SuperDork
1/11/13 1:13 p.m.
mad_machine wrote: the problem with amending the constitution Aircooled.. there is a sizable part of the population that wants only to take it word for word.. not interpert it, not change it, not discard it.. they expect it to be taken just as written

That's called the "Rule of Law".

N Sperlo
N Sperlo UltimaDork
1/11/13 1:20 p.m.
slantvaliant wrote:
mad_machine wrote: the problem with amending the constitution Aircooled.. there is a sizable part of the population that wants only to take it word for word.. not interpert it, not change it, not discard it.. they expect it to be taken just as written

Vs. "Spirit of the Law."

slantvaliant
slantvaliant SuperDork
1/11/13 1:26 p.m.
N Sperlo wrote:
slantvaliant wrote:
Vs. "Spirit of the Law."

No, vs. "Rule of Man", ie "Let's reinterpret what's written so we can do what we want right now."

"Spirit of the Law" sometimes seems to conflict with "Letter of the Law".

Beer Baron
Beer Baron PowerDork
1/11/13 2:08 p.m.
tuna55 wrote: I honestly feel that an open and frank discussion of what exactly gets added to the constitution for Health Care, for Gun Control (add an amendment that says arms do not include automatic weapons or nuclear/chemical/biological weapons of mass destruction, for instance) etc would really make a difference. Force each side to make a three line summary of what they are really asking for. No 10,000 page pork laden crappy bill, a real live frank explanation. We vote on it, if 2/3rds of the states agree, it's in and then we make a bill based on those rights. More Ron Pauls, less Nancy Pelosis (based on the adherence to the constitution, not politics, the left has very valid points on most of these issues, ie, mentally ill people shouldn't have firearms, the current health care system DOES suck, etc) and we could get there.

I disagree. It is good that the constitution is a bit vague. The Bill of Rights lays out fundamental rights, but gives us the room to interpret just what those mean. Our understanding of them can change with the times without needing to re-write the verbiage of our basic rights.

It all comes down to, your rights end when they are liable to have a significant, negative impact on the greater right of someone else.

So, the second amendment grants us the right to bare arms, and logically to be able to defend ourselves with deadly force.

The trouble is, deadly force also has the ability to end someone's basic right to live. The right to live generally takes precedence over the right to be able to defend yourself. (Obviously, the right to defend yourself is often done in order to protect your right to live.)

We need to determine where the right to defend yourself intersects with the right to live. Are there situations where keeping a particular item and using it in a certain way are of more threat to the unconsenting people around you than they bolster your ability to defend yourself?

Obviously things like chemical weapons and explosives cross this line. Perhaps you personally would not take actions that threaten the life and safety of others, but negligence can open the door for someone else to use your property to cause injury. Like, if you own a pool, you can't leave it open where children can fall in and drown. If you have strong dangerous chemicals for work, it is your responsibility to keep them stored safely. You are responsible for keeping your firearms in such a manner that someone else can not use them to threaten the life of someone else.

The second amendment even says that the militia should be "well regulated". This implies a certain amount of public oversight.

So, where do these rights intersect? What amount of oversight is appropriate? These are important questions to ask. No, the answers are not obvious. If they were obvious, there wouldn't be this much argument about them. Yes, the right to bare arms has changed over time and is slowly constricting. This is not unusual as the population becomes more dense, and it becomes easier for your rights to interfere with someone else's.

And even if we on a society decide that the right to bare arms needs to be more regulated, the onus of proof is on the accuser. We should not have to prove that our right to defend ourselves should not be restricted. The accusers need to prove that limiting guns strengthens the fundamental rights to life and liberty of society at large.

barrowcadbury
barrowcadbury New Reader
1/11/13 2:41 p.m.

Be careful with the intended definition of "Well-Regulated"...

http://constitution.org/cons/wellregu.htm

constitution.org wrote:

The following are taken from the Oxford English Dictionary, and bracket in time the writing of the 2nd amendment:

1709: "If a liberal Education has formed in us well-regulated Appetites and worthy Inclinations."

1714: "The practice of all well-regulated courts of justice in the world."

1812: "The equation of time ... is the adjustment of the difference of time as shown by a well-regulated clock and a true sun dial."

1848: "A remissness for which I am sure every well-regulated person will blame the Mayor."

1862: "It appeared to her well-regulated mind, like a clandestine proceeding."

1894: "The newspaper, a never wanting adjunct to every well-regulated American embryo city."

The phrase "well-regulated" was in common use long before 1789, and remained so for a century thereafter. It referred to the property of something being in proper working order. Something that was well-regulated was calibrated correctly, functioning as expected. Establishing government oversight of the people's arms was not only not the intent in using the phrase in the 2nd amendment, it was precisely to render the government powerless to do so that the founders wrote it.<

Bobzilla
Bobzilla UltraDork
1/11/13 2:46 p.m.

Being as the original intent of the 2A was to offer the people a chance to stop a tyrannical gov't much like the founding fathers had done, allowing the gov't oversight of that seems a bit counterproductive.

tuna55
tuna55 UberDork
1/11/13 2:57 p.m.
Bobzilla wrote: Being as the original intent of the 2A was to offer the people a chance to stop a tyrannical gov't much like the founding fathers had done, allowing the gov't oversight of that seems a bit counterproductive.

Damn straight. Makes me want your C4 even more.

barrowcadbury
barrowcadbury New Reader
1/11/13 3:00 p.m.
tuna55 wrote:
Bobzilla wrote: Being as the original intent of the 2A was to offer the people a chance to stop a tyrannical gov't much like the founding fathers had done, allowing the gov't oversight of that seems a bit counterproductive.

[frantically trying to hotlink a C4 Corvette...]

Ninja Edit:

Beer Baron
Beer Baron PowerDork
1/11/13 3:01 p.m.
barrowcadbury wrote: The phrase "well-regulated" was in common use long before 1789, and remained so for a century thereafter. It referred to the property of something being in proper working order. Something that was well-regulated was calibrated correctly, functioning as expected. Establishing government oversight of the people's arms was not only not the intent in using the phrase in the 2nd amendment, it was precisely to render the government powerless to do so that the founders wrote it.

So that phrase means that the militia should be functioning as expected. Fine.

I still maintain the heart of my argument, which is that the right to keep the means to be able to defend yourself does intersect with the rights of others to live, and that what we should be doing is figuring out where that is in order to best protect both rights.

barrowcadbury
barrowcadbury New Reader
1/11/13 3:04 p.m.

In reply to Beer Baron:

Yep, I wasn't trying to come down on you - you've made some really good points and I'm enjoying the dialog - just want to make sure we're all using the same definitions in this conversation :)

Beer Baron
Beer Baron PowerDork
1/11/13 3:24 p.m.
barrowcadbury wrote: In reply to Beer Baron: Yep, I wasn't trying to come down on you - you've made some really good points and I'm enjoying the dialog - just want to make sure we're all using the same definitions in this conversation :)

Fair enough. And I was not being dismissive, but conceding the point, just making it clear that the central point of my argument was something else.

aircooled
aircooled PowerDork
1/11/13 3:28 p.m.

Well, to take the counter point:

A well regulated (or "in good working order") militia would not consist of a bunch or random armed citizens with no organization what so ever (which is what we have now).

A militia is essentially a low trained or untrained citizen army. An army clearly requires some sort of organization, which requires some sort of command structure. Theoretically this might be the state (state state not country state) (?), the town/county (?), or perhaps appointed citizens (?). Either way, none of those exist.

What I am saying is that the Well Regulated Militia part will still get you in trouble here when talking about literal interpretations.

It also brings up an interesting comparison between the militia and the regular (US) army. As it stands currently, the specifically trained army has far more weapons regulations (carry around / securing weapons ect.) then the untrained militia. That's a bit strange.

Bobzilla
Bobzilla UltraDork
1/11/13 3:37 p.m.
tuna55 wrote:

Special price! lol

Strizzo
Strizzo UberDork
1/11/13 3:41 p.m.
aircooled wrote:
Well, to take the counter point: A well regulated (or "in good working order") militia would not consist of a bunch or random armed citizens with no organization what so ever (which is what we have now). A militia is essentially a low trained or untrained citizen army. An army clearly requires some sort of organization, which requires some sort of command structure. Theoretically this might be the state (state state not country state) (?), the town/county (?), or perhaps appointed citizens (?). Either way, none of those exist. What I am saying is that the Well Regulated Militia part will still get you in trouble here when talking about literal interpretations. It also brings up an interesting comparison between the militia and the regular (US) army. As it stands currently, the specifically trained army has far more weapons regulations (carry around / securing weapons ect.) then the untrained militia. That's a bit strange.

the definition of "the militia" is defined elsewhere in the constitution and also in later acts, basically it is any able bodied male 17-45 years old.

Bobzilla
Bobzilla UltraDork
1/11/13 3:43 p.m.
barrowcadbury wrote:
tuna55 wrote:
[frantically trying to hotlink a C4 Corvette...] Ninja Edit:

I have to admit, remarkably close!

Beer Baron
Beer Baron PowerDork
1/11/13 3:59 p.m.
aircooled wrote: It also brings up an interesting comparison between the militia and the regular (US) army. As it stands currently, the specifically trained army has far more weapons regulations (carry around / securing weapons ect.) then the untrained militia. That's a bit strange.

There is also the issue of, if the purpose is for the people to be able to effectively mount a resistance against a tyrannical government, technology has advanced to the point where that isn't feasible anymore. The military has access to weapons that the civilian population just doesn't.

Okay, so someone will probably argue then that the civilian population should have access to those weapons: bombs, tanks, guided explosives, and attack aircraft.

Let's go back to the "well regulated" part with the definition of "operated and functioning properly". For those things to be operated properly, takes a lot of practice and space. A civilian shouldn't own a tank and shells not because they shouldn't be able to fight the government, but because there is no practical way to use them without endangering citizenry around them. This means that your right to own and operate these things is trumped by the more fundamental rights of the people around you. The standing military has the space to train properly, and also the resources to secure that armament when it is not in use.

aircooled
aircooled PowerDork
1/11/13 4:12 p.m.
Strizzo wrote: ...the definition of "the militia" is defined elsewhere in the constitution and also in later acts, basically it is any able bodied male 17-45 years old.

Please provide a reference for this.

What I find is (wikipedia):

The reserve militia[3] or unorganized militia, also created by the Militia Act of 1903 which presently consist of every able-bodied man of at least 17 and under 45 years of age who are not members of the National Guard or Naval Militia.(that is, anyone who would be eligible for a draft). Former members of the armed forces up to age 65 are also considered part of the "unorganized militia" per Sec 313 Title 32 of the US Code.[2]

Perhaps this is where you are getting 17-45 (which of course might imply those over 45 don't have the arms right).

This is a really long paper specifically on this subject that I don't have time to read:

http://www.saf.org/lawreviews/fieldsandhardy.html

But it does say:

Nowhere in the Constitution is the term "militia" actually defined.

In scanning it it does talk about variations of militia in that time.

barrowcadbury
barrowcadbury New Reader
1/11/13 4:28 p.m.

In reply to aircooled:

10 U.S.C. 311 - Militia: composition and classes

http://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/USCODE-2011-title10/html/USCODE-2011-title10-subtitleA-partI-chap13-sec311.htm

1 ... 29 30 31 32 33 ... 65

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
2wHHUbLwjGyN9DP0vjeybt8p0kIJgmlfOaCdkkwkPbXGpm6r855rvFGHNVrl0JVO