Beer Baron
Beer Baron UltimaDork
9/16/13 5:09 p.m.

Anyone have an HD radio tuner in their car? Really like it, or don't care much? Worth the premium over a standard analog tuner?

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/16/13 5:11 p.m.

I had one in the P71 back in 08? Worked great, well worth the money, especially on road trips. The price difference now is even smaller.

Beer Baron
Beer Baron UltimaDork
9/16/13 5:13 p.m.

Well, the units I'm looking at, to jump up to one with an HD tuner is like a $50 premium. ($145 -> $195 at Crutchfield)

carguy123
carguy123 UltimaDork
9/16/13 5:19 p.m.

Get it, it's great!

Of course the station won't follow you around the country like a satellite radio does but it sure adds diversity in town.

jstancel
jstancel New Reader
9/16/13 6:41 p.m.

My Alpine unit has terrible reception. It loses HD signal constantly. If you are listening to a regular channel in HD and it loses HD signal it sounds like a CD skip as it goes in and out of HD. If you are listening to a secondary HD channel it will go out during a good song without fail and then you have silence. For Atlanta peeps, 97.1 The River has a second HD channel called The Rivers Edge that is really good.

Beer Baron
Beer Baron UltimaDork
9/16/13 6:46 p.m.

I decided against it. $50 premium and there would only be one additional sub-channel I would be interested in. Mostly I use the radio for NPR programs. I'll be listening to music off my phone most of the time anyway.

93gsxturbo
93gsxturbo Dork
9/17/13 7:36 p.m.

I have a Clarion with HD Radio in the Corvette and its "meh" on all accounts.

My high end Alpine unit in my truck sounds much better even on normal-fi radio.

Its not the speakers, the car has JBL components and a Kenwood amp and the truck has Infinity components off the headunit.

I am in the "not worth it" camp.

carguy123
carguy123 UltimaDork
9/17/13 7:58 p.m.

And I've never had an issue with it, but I live in a big metroplex.

hdradiofarce
hdradiofarce New Reader
9/19/13 3:59 p.m.

HD Radio is a scam!

http://hdradiofarce.blogspot.com

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
aBu3lWNaptS9XraV0SpBTdjaybDtyvVxrmT2jkYnfOFAjcZLe89Fh0OH05zJkkyZ