JoeyM
JoeyM HalfDork
7/4/10 7:04 p.m.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1290598/Do-remember-car-Yes-cost-150-1956--Im-driving-it.html

Do you remember your first car? 'Yes, it cost £150 in 1956 - and I'm still driving it' By Luke Salkeld Last updated at 10:37 AM on 30th June 2010 Many people eventually get round to trading in their first car. But not Mike Harrison. He loves his 1931 black Bentley sports coupe so much that he's still driving it - 54 years after he bought it. Mr Harrison was 20 when he paid £150 (about £3,000 now) for the car after passing his test in 1956. Old reliable: Motorist Mike Harrison, 74, still owns a 1931 Bentley Coupe, which he bought 54 years ago It had already done 85,000 miles and he has since driven it a further 100,000, yet the car still runs like clockwork. It is now one of only three left in the country and is worth £250,000. Despite its value, Mr Harrison, 74, says he would never sell the car 'which has been my best friend and part of my family all my life'. Mr Harrison courted his wife Jenny in it during the early Sixties and it was their family car when children Caroline, now 46, and Ben, 42, came along. Even when he took a job as an advertising executive which came with the company car of his choice, Mr Harrison kept the Bentley. He said: 'How many people still have their first car these days when everything is so disposable? But it is a real eye-catcher. It has something that modern cars just don't have - style and character. 'I still drive it most days, even though it only does about 15 miles to the gallon!' Family runaround: The 4.5 litre Bentley coupe, pictured outside Mr Harrison's parent's home in 1958. He later used it to court his wife Jenny and ferry their two children around Petrol was just six shillings (30p) a gallon when Mr Harrison bought the Bentley, which had a top speed of 120mph. He has spent thousands of pounds on repairs over the years but has kept the bodywork in good condition himself, hand-painting the underneath and spraying the black panels of the bodywork. For decades the Bentley was a regular sight on the roads near Mr Harrison's home in Hampton Court, Surrey. He now uses it as a runaround after retiring to Whitney-on-Wye, Herefordshire. Mrs Harrison, 71, said: 'It was a nuisance keeping it in tip-top order with me helping out with the repairs by passing Mike the spanners the whole time. But I wouldn't have changed any of it - I feel like a Queen every time I'm in it.'
porksboy
porksboy Dork
7/4/10 7:33 p.m.

Outstanding to read he is still driving that regularly. I still have my second car 25+ years later.A 66 Chevy pick-up. It is hibernating in my shop awaiting resurecting.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn SuperDork
7/4/10 8:28 p.m.

I still have parts of the first car I bought 35 years ago. Unfortunately, it wasn't a Bentley.

rustyvw
rustyvw GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
7/4/10 9:06 p.m.

I think if I had a Bently, I'd hang on to it too.

GregTivo
GregTivo HalfDork
7/4/10 9:28 p.m.

Hell yes. Kudos to that guy!

Lesley
Lesley SuperDork
7/4/10 9:33 p.m.

Just... wow! That's class.

JeepinMatt
JeepinMatt HalfDork
7/4/10 9:49 p.m.

I realize I'll never be able to say that I've owned a car since new for 30/40/50 years, since I never buy new cars, but I'll hopefully be able to say I've owned a car for 30/40/50 years. I do still have my first "car," the Jeep, though

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/5/10 5:30 a.m.

Here's another one:

Two stories, actually about a guy that I often see at area car shows. Read them both to get the whole picture. From the first one, you get the sense that he's just a quirky, but interesting old guy. After reading the second, you'll understand that this old guy would take no prisoners at the challenge.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2007/10/05/assignment_america/main3336770.shtml

http://cll.hemmings.com/hmn/stories/2008/02/01/hmn_feature17.html

Quote:

" In that same year, 1953, Cleve had another adventure. He had built a racer in the late 1940s from a 1934 straight-eight Hudson. "I stripped the body off, shortened the chassis way down, and put three Carter sidedraft carburetors on the engine, just like the early six-cylinder Corvettes. Boy, I even beat motorcycles with that sucker.

"One of the highlights of my life was up at Ansonia airport. A guy named Harry had a Jaguar, a modified XK 120, and he was beating everybody. I showed up in my Hudson and offered to race him. He said, 'I don't race manure spreaders.' I said, 'Oh yeah? Well, this manure spreader will beat you so bad you'll think you're going backwards!' So we ran, and I beat him."

Gearheadotaku
Gearheadotaku GRM+ Memberand Dork
7/5/10 6:34 a.m.

pretty cool. I wonder what that cars worth today?

chuckles
chuckles New Reader
7/5/10 9:22 a.m.

In high school in the late 60's we all envied a guy who had a new BRG MGB. I ran into him about a year ago and said I bet he wished he still had it. "Oh, I've still got it. I keep it nice and fresh."

That was two years ago and I saw him in it this morning. It looked brand new.

NYG95GA
NYG95GA SuperDork
7/5/10 9:27 a.m.

A BRG MGB owner is likely a fanatic, and...

Wait a minute.. I'm preachng to the choir here, aren't I ?

JoeyM
JoeyM HalfDork
7/5/10 10:26 a.m.
Woody wrote: After reading the second, you'll understand that this old guy would take no prisoners at the challenge.

You're not kidding.....that guy is awesome. I loved the odd combinations he kept building.

Duke
Duke SuperDork
7/5/10 1:55 p.m.

I still have my first car, but if it was worth a quarter million (even $US), I probably wouldn't.

JThw8
JThw8 SuperDork
7/5/10 4:53 p.m.

There is a gentleman in the local british car club that not only still has his first car (Triumph TR3 if memory serves correctly) but it is the ONLY car he has ever owned. It was/is his daily driver and he has put something like 350,000 miles on it.

81gtv6
81gtv6 GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
7/7/10 10:07 a.m.

I still have my first car, a 64 Spit that I got when I graduated from HS in 89. It is sitting in the back of my garage waiting for me to start restoring it. Now that my oldest son is 7 I think it is time to start.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
1Xj1Jj2uBRkPpCbqcM4zcbm6bEAz9zK2L41FPEr3REvqdTcxh5SG9bAXM8nZC62s