Saron81
Saron81 Reader
10/9/19 4:33 p.m.

I got this box a few years ago as payment for a transmission rebuild. The logo was used from 53-81 from what I can tell. It’s my primary box in my garage, so I have no intention of getting rid of it. Just curious what I have, and figured this would be as good as any place to ask. There are no visible serial numbers on it of any kind. Pardon the mess around it, lol. Thanks! 

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
10/9/19 4:36 p.m.

When I saw "dating a Snap On Box", all I could think was, "don't get your hootus stuck in it!" 

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
10/9/19 4:38 p.m.

In reply to John Welsh :

I was gonna suggest take it out to dinner and buy it some shiny wrenches.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn MegaDork
10/9/19 5:37 p.m.

My guess is late 1960s or early 1970s.  Did you look closely at the back side, in one of the lower corners?  Most Snap-On boxes have the model number and a date code stamped on them.

There are a bunch of old catalogs on the https://www.collectingsnapon.com website, you could look through them to see if you can find a match

Another option is to join the Garage Journal forum and post the question, one of the people there will probably have an answer for you within minutes.  https://www.garagejournal.com/forum/

ShawnG
ShawnG PowerDork
10/9/19 6:17 p.m.

There will be a KR number stamped on the back of the unit.

Using that you can find it on the collecting snapon website.

Or you could ask your local snappy if he can date it for you.

That looks like early 70's to me. There were some mid 70's boxes that were only out for a year or so with similar construction, double width and the right bank of drawers were dark grey. I would do things I'm not proud of to get a set of those.

My early 70's combo unit is built a lot like that one but the top flap is solid red and the top drawer is split into three drawers.

akamcfly
akamcfly Dork
10/9/19 7:37 p.m.
Mndsm said:

In reply to John Welsh :

I was gonna suggest take it out to dinner and buy it some shiny wrenches.

I was going to suggest just being yourself.

Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard GRM+ Memberand Director of Marketing & Digital Assets
10/9/19 7:41 p.m.

Debt. Snap-on boxes love a man under crushing debt. 

Saron81
Saron81 Reader
10/10/19 8:28 a.m.

In reply to stuart in mn :

Thanks! Spent some time looking through many old catalogues last night! Found a match in the 1973 one. I'll look again for a serial number, but I really didn't see one. 
It was neat looking through the really old ones. They were NEVER cheap! 

To everyone else... thanks also... I was struggling to come up with a thread title that made sense. cheeky

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
InRiBqXAqwNgV87wJazmxRHUswO6T0vcFs9sLjfIfPwiiACi7vgjQL9UmIytoS0v