1 2
peanutpckrupper
peanutpckrupper Reader
10/17/24 1:39 p.m.
02Pilot said:

In reply to The0retical :

So the obvious follow-up question is: Is there a significant performance drop going back to the 12th-gen processors? I realize this is sort of an unknown, given your statement about benchmark validity, but I've been completely out of the loop on processor developments in recent years. I'm not looking for bleeding-edge, but I don't want to buy something that's already obsolete.

You should be fine with the current gen Intel CPUs since the microcode updates were made available. 

The0retical
The0retical UberDork
10/18/24 10:36 a.m.
02Pilot said:

In reply to The0retical :

So the obvious follow-up question is: Is there a significant performance drop going back to the 12th-gen processors? I realize this is sort of an unknown, given your statement about benchmark validity, but I've been completely out of the loop on processor developments in recent years. I'm not looking for bleeding-edge, but I don't want to buy something that's already obsolete.

(Source)

Premicrocode update there's about a 10% uplift between generations for things like video encoding and other CPU intensive workloads.

For games it gets a bit more complicated. There's an uplift of 0% to 10% from 12th to 13th generation but often not a significant uplift from 13th to 14th generation Intel CPUs. You'll see more of an uplift in the low end and extreme high end (xx900K's).

Honestly the LGA1700 socket is already deprecated with the release of the new 15th gen ArrowLake processors (they're called Core Ultra Mega Monster XXXXTREAM something or others not 15xxx by the marketing wonks) so it's sort of a whatever situation at this point. The new Arrow Lake processors don't appear to offer any sort of performance gains but they're supposedly close to 50% more power efficient.

I wouldn't worry about buying a new 13th or 14th gen cpu personally as long as you apply the update. So if a 13th or 14th gen xx400 or xx600 fits in your budget I'd say it's a good buy as they offer very similar gaming performance. Check the GN charts to see.

If you're doing other workloads than gaming the 13600 and 14600 rival the 12900's in CPU intensive work loads and are a pretty big step up from the 13400 and 12400.

I'd absolutely stay away from the used 13th and 14th gen chips because you have no idea how old they are or kind of workloads they were exposed to without the update.

Looking at current pricing and the $1k price point I'd probably opt for a 13400F or 14400F ($169 and $176 respectively) and pump the $50-$60 I'm saving over a 13600 or 14600 into a better video card.

Edit: Actually I'd go get the 13400 on sale at Best Buy right now for 130 dollars and use the extra 100 to go a step up on the graphics card from a RX7600 to a RX7700.

gunner (Forum Supporter)
gunner (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand Dork
10/18/24 10:41 a.m.

Great advice here. There was some chat about hard drives and moving files and/or OS's to newer drives. You CAN google it but since I already did I'll share with you what I did. I needed to upgrade my 128 GB SSD that I installed my OS on back in 2018 to a larger drive due to everything that installs on C: drive automatically. Anyway with all the options out there I settled on AOMEI partition assistant. They have a freeware version that is very capable but to migrate an OS you have to upgrade to PRO which is what I did. 70 bucks for a lifetime license, worth every penny and it made it so easy. the link--AOMEI partition assistant 

Another neat piece of software I found myself needing/wanting after I found out all it could do is CPU-Z. If you ever wanted more info on every component in your PC this is the freeware for you. (yes its free) CPU-Z

Bonus that you can download these on your current PC now and used them after you upgrade as well.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
09EA10To1557ecLTFTKSufuUAYKsFTld4CFU5cj9r8JxB0KrBSiHXyLzqS2j20QJ