1 ... 413 414 415
Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa MegaDork
9/23/24 7:09 a.m.
Flynlow said:
Stampie said:
Flynlow said:
Stampie said:

While I understand the thoughts above, targeting civilian infrastructure on either side is wrong.

Power plants supporting military production, petroleum refining, manufacturing, etc., are valid targets of war (which this is).  

If Ukraine was targeting apartment blocks, like the russians are doing, i would be more in agreement with you.  

The substation feeding a military base is.  A power plant that feeds Moscow isn't.

I respect your opinion without agreeing with it.  Any further down this rabbit hole is probably unproductive. 

Its always wild to see a real-time reminder of why we have laws outlining what are and are not war crimes.

Noddaz
Noddaz GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
9/23/24 2:43 p.m.
Kreb (Forum Supporter)
Kreb (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
9/23/24 3:57 p.m.

In reply to Noddaz :

Maybe it was those two kids who torched the helicopter again!

02Pilot
02Pilot PowerDork
9/23/24 4:29 p.m.

In reply to Noddaz :

It's not the first time....

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
9/23/24 4:53 p.m.

There was also the Russian N1 (moon rocket) explosion:

This was a HUGE rocket:

Hungary Bill (Forum Supporter)
Hungary Bill (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
9/24/24 4:57 a.m.

A lot of ammo depots seem to be making the news lately:

https://www.businessinsider.com/video-enormous-explosion-at-russian-ammunition-depot-ukraine-war-2024-9

Ukraine needs to make a new drone model and just name it "Debris"...

stroker
stroker PowerDork
9/24/24 10:21 a.m.
aircooled said:

There was also the Russian N1 (moon rocket) explosion:

https://www.youtube.com/embed/gklVhRzkVqA?rel=0

that's a big berkeleying explosion...  I'm surprised it didn't set off seismic sensors all over.

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
9/24/24 12:28 p.m.

Russia has removed the crew from its only aircraft carrier, the Admiral Kuznetsov, and is using it as cannon fodder in the war with Ukraine.

The sailors of the Russian Navy flagship, which is more dead than alive, have formed the mechanized battalion "Frigate" as part of the 1st Guards Tank Army.

This battalion took part in the assaults in the Kharkov region and near Pokrovsk, writes Forbes. The crew of the Admiral Kuznetsov consisted of 1,500 people.

Russia's only aircraft carrier, which is currently docked in Murmansk, will most likely not be restored after the latest fire in December 2022, and Russia is unable to build a new one to replace it. Apparently, the Admiral Kuznetsov will soon be retired and sent for disposal as its crew…

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
9/25/24 9:18 p.m.

In reply to stroker :

Largest non-nuclear explosion made by man.

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
9/28/24 12:55 p.m.

I have no idea if this is true, but this war is quickly becoming a race to the bottom.  The Russians have done tremendous damage to the Ukrainian power generation capability and may even target the reactor sub-stations.  Of course, the Russians may realize that Zaporizhia is well within precision missile range of Ukraine and they could likely easily knock out that sub-station.

The Russians of course seem to be on a collision course with a logistics / economic nightmare, though seem to have no end of bodies to throw in front of machine guns.

Zelensky is preparing for negotiations, - El Pais.

Due to human losses, shelling and forecasts for a difficult winter with almost no light, the morale of the people is weakening. External pressure for negotiations is also increasing, at which Kyiv will be forced to make painful concessions.

02Pilot
02Pilot PowerDork
9/28/24 1:13 p.m.

In reply to aircooled :

It makes sense, considering that the longer Ukraine waits, the narrower their options get. I think Zelensky must have had a timetable in mind when they launched the incursion toward Kursk, knowing that it couldn't be held indefinitely. The latest, largely failed, round of pleading for more aid and fewer restrictions was probably a last-ditch effort to keep things going (the failure here lands mostly at Zelensky's feet, as the "plan" for victory was basically "give us more stuff and let us use it", according to the reports I've seen. US officials were reportedly unimpressed, suggesting the plan lacked detail and imagination.).

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
9/28/24 1:19 p.m.

In other, rather significant news, the Israelis managed to take out the leader of Hezbolla, Nasrallah.  This will likely be a general news item, Hezbolla has confirmed it. 

There is a video of the building he was in (underneath I suspect).  I am sure the building was full of civilians and likely many school(!).  I am not sure Israel should be heavily blamed of course, when you start a war and you hide under your civilians.  The building (looks like a tall apartment complex) did not collapse, but certainly slumped showing it was effectively destroying.

This is the current command structure situation!  Looks like it's all on Abu at this point (who might want to consider a long foreign vacation at this point!)

The lower left of the center building is the explosion:

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
9/28/24 1:57 p.m.

In reply to 02Pilot :

The big question of course is Russia even interested in reasonable negotiations at this point?  If Ukraine is loosing resolve, why not just plod on and take it all, or demand it all in negotiations?

I suspect, in the least, there will be a "no NATO member" demand.  Is that alone enough? I kind of doubt it.

02Pilot
02Pilot PowerDork
9/28/24 2:53 p.m.

In reply to aircooled :

Russia pressing for Ukraine to be excluded from NATO is a blessing in disguise for the US and Europe. If a deal can be done where Ukraine is declared neutral in perpetuity, combined with a substantial supply of weapons and lots of economic support, the West ends up with a buffer state capable of self-defense. This is complicated by the fact that there have already been several bilateral defense treaties signed (how many have been ratified, I don't know) between Ukraine and Western powers, but these can be made to go away in the right circumstances.

Frankly, I think Russia would be happy about that deal, though of course they couldn't admit it. Putin will likely demand the world, slow-walk the negotiations to try to grab more territory (of course refusing a cease-fire in place), and attempt to split Ukraine from its allies and Western states from each other in the process. Offering the deal above explicitly and publicly - it does satisfy a number of Putin's prewar demands, making it harder to turn down if it's known - but putting a clock on it ("You have 30 days to accept or we will reevaluate our position...") would create the best chance for a quick settlement. The bigger sticking point will be getting the Ukrainians on board, though if their domestic support is indeed softening, they may be willing to compromise quickly as well.

VolvoHeretic
VolvoHeretic GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
9/28/24 4:37 p.m.

In reply to 02Pilot :

So, Russia gets to keep all of the land they stole.

Ukraine doesn't get into NATO and it's protection.

Russia promises not to invade Ukraine again.

Russia negotiates a complete suspension of all of the economic sanctions and a return to business as usual with Europe buying all of their oil and gas from Russia again.

Edit: We also sell Russia all of the computer chips they want because it's good for business.

After a few year when Russia has restored their armies, they get to try again and grab the rest of Ukraine.

We will just sit there and let them because that is exactly what half of this country already wants and it's what we are really good at.

What a great deal for Ukraine.

02Pilot
02Pilot PowerDork
9/28/24 6:12 p.m.

In reply to VolvoHeretic :

I understand the temptation to see things that way, but there are additional factors that need to be considered.

First, a fully restored Ukraine is not a US or Western strategic interest; a free and independent Ukraine, capable of defending itself and sustaining its economy without continual support, very much is. If they are able to achieve that with ~80% of their territory, short-term support, and a carefully written treaty, that's a win.

Conversely, a revanchist Ukraine inside NATO is a nightmare scenario. Knowing that NATO will be inclined to support them militarily (technically obligated under Article 5, but in this scenario, there's room to fudge), the Ukrainian government could create incidents designed to provoke Russia into an attack that would then have a high potential for escalation.

Russian motives for "grab(bing) the rest of Ukraine" increase with the closeness of its Western alignment. A neutral Ukraine with enough of a military to make such a venture costly would minimize Russian incentives for further such adventures, while a Western-aligned Ukraine - especially a weak one - would be a tempting target.

Regardless, I don't think you're going to see a return to levels of European dependence on Russia fossil fuels any time soon. Even if the sanctions are lifted as part of a deal (I don't expect it will happen all at once, and sanctions on individuals will likely remain to some extent), Russia will still be limited by the loss of pipeline infrastructure and European reluctance to expose themselves to such risks again. If anything, it's probably a short-term win for US LNG exports, and maybe a medium-term win for European nuclear power.

NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
9/28/24 7:44 p.m.

russia is, and always has been, an empire nation; that means they they ebb and grow by taking over other peoples land. The only problem with any kind of treaty that involves russia is that to russia, treaties of any kind are meaningless when they think they are in a position to attack. That is why we are where we are today with Ukraine  Remember, a lot of russia's war-time government has been declared war criminals,  most likely cause they are psychopaths. Treaties don't fix that E36 M3.

If there is a silver lining to any resolution  that does not involve russia going back to where they were in 2013, it would be that russia as a population is dying of its own accord. Amidst a significant demographic decline, russia would be dealing with all the fun details of occupying a chunk of real estate where they are not 100% welcome. See Northern Ireland and the "Troubles" for a glimpse of that future.  Or think Afghanistan, only the enemy looks like you and speaks the same language as you and might be your cousin.

Because of the above, If I were Ukraine, I would dedicate whatever effort it took to make the putin bridge go away forever. before any peace talks of any kind got started.  Nothing good will ever cross that bridge.

02Pilot
02Pilot PowerDork
9/28/24 8:07 p.m.

In reply to NOHOME :

All treaties are meaningless when they are no longer deemed useful, unless they have some sort of meaningful enforcement mechanism. The US has been party to any number of treaties that it has subsequently abrogated or simply walked away from: SEATO, the 1868 Laramie Treaty, etc. Were Jimmy Carter and U.S. Grant "psychopaths" for doing so?

Russia is a state with interests, just like any other, but possessing nuclear weapons in abundance, which complicates matters considerably. They are dealing with a number of challenging circumstances, some of which you mention. Do you think that backing them into a corner will make them less dangerous?

NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
9/28/24 8:25 p.m.

In reply to 02Pilot :

Nobody is backing russia into a corner. That would be my point. russia is in the position they are because they want to be there.  russias "corner" is always defined as whatever territory they are in the midst of taking over while crying victim. russia is free to return to where they were in 2013 and continue on their path of demographic implosion. 

Remind me of when Carter indiscriminately ordered women and children to be bombed, kidnaped and frozen cause he wanted  admiration from his oligarchs? Or when he was declared a war criminal? Cause I missed that bit. Never heard of the other dude.

02Pilot
02Pilot PowerDork
9/28/24 9:33 p.m.

In reply to NOHOME :

Nobody in the West thinks they are backing Russia into a corner, but that does not account for the possibility that Russia has a different perception upon which it will base its actions. Presuming that other governments share the same understanding of any particular action or intention is dangerous, and frighteningly commonplace.

As far as Russian history, I'm struggling to think of other instances when they claimed to be the victim. And given that quiet demographic implosion is not likely to be a fruitful long-term path, why would anyone expect them to willingly return to it? Virtually any other option, even a dangerous one, would seem preferable.

Finally, your prior post seemed to be linking the devaluing of treaties with psychopathic leadership. I merely pointed out that the causal linkage between the two is tenuous at best.

1 ... 413 414 415

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
bAPGGMH2mqDBZuxvYQY9j40UfBu9w4qDU3jlc5l7vyavIzqfNodSVhggwSaHs8um