RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
6/4/20 7:11 p.m.

I'm probably over thinking again, but I know the end tables I have won't work.

We're getting Axolotles Sunday, and they have a 20 gallon aquarium they live in.

Water, rocks, pump, lights, I'm expecting 200lbs of load when all is said and done. 

Can I get away with cross braced 2x4s or should I go heavier duty? Doubled up, larger lumber all together? 

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
6/4/20 7:17 p.m.

Cross brace 2x4 will be absolutely fine. 

WonkoTheSane (Forum Supporter)
WonkoTheSane (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
6/4/20 8:24 p.m.

Another thing you can do if you're more worried about the construction of the tables you have splaying the legs (as opposed to purely one directional downward force) is to just reinforce the bottom to prevent them from splaying. 

For example, here is my 75 gallon fishtank.  I estimate it weighs about 600-700lb.  

I had to use a coffee table type stand due to where we wanted the TV.  Based on the construction, I was confident it could hold the load, but I was worried about the legs.

So I made this brace out of angle iron, and screwed it to the bottom shelf in addition to making it tight enough I had to pound on:

It's been over 3 years with no problems.  That's with 5 kids, 2 dogs, and 2 cats in the house.

6/4/20 8:26 p.m.

Really, 200lbs isn't that much if it's a solidly constructed end table.  

Disassemble it and re-screw it together with wood glue and it'll probably be fine.  The redo of the joints is really just to eliminate dynamic load.  If you can keep it from moving, it's a lot easier to support.  I did that to my stand shown above.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn MegaDork
6/4/20 8:28 p.m.

Can you sit on your end table without it collapsing?  If so it will probably take the weight of the aquarium.  

RevRico
6/4/20 8:35 p.m.

In reply to stuart in mn :

I cannot. They're cheap E36 M3ty fiberboard, basically to hold drinks, cell phones and my mouse/keyboard. Max recommended weight of 50lbs, but they shift a lot with just a case of bottled water on them. 

I'm picking up a load of studs for another project tomorrow if it isn't raining so I was just gonna grab a few more for this. 

I like that angle iron base idea though. Would be easier than finding straight studs anyway. 

It's really the 5 year old I'm worried about. Brick walls listen better than she does, and I know she'll be trying to get to the tank and running into the table and everything kids do with new pets. 

6/4/20 9:20 p.m.

Fair enough.. 

I'll just +1 Msdsm, then.  2x4 will be more than good enough.  

bgkast (Forum Supporter)
bgkast (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
6/4/20 9:54 p.m.

Nothing more to add except axolotls are awesome. Here is ours back when it was a wee little baby 

She glows too

RevRico
6/5/20 10:45 a.m.

In reply to bgkast (Forum Supporter) :

Any tips or recommendations on helping them grow well?

I guess the one or two I'm getting are going to be Leucistic, possibly with the GFP gene that lets them glow under blacklight. 

Got frozen blood worms but it sounds like I need to go back to the pet store to get some stuff to start nitrogen cycling the tank. No idea, I'm new to this aquarium stuff. I've only had dogs and lizards in the past. 

did get the table together today though.

I was going to use 2x6 for the top but they were far more twisted than they looked, so they're cross supports now. So I cut down an old work bench that the PO left in the garage. I was able to bounce on it with no shifting so it should be fine, I weigh in at 280ish. 

Since I'm getting juveniles, in the 3"range, I'm leaving the bottom bare for now. I need to clean and create some cover for them. Was going to do some fake plants too but Holy E36 M3 are they pricey, so it will be rather minimalistic until they're bigger and I can use sand on the bottom. 

6/5/20 10:12 p.m.

Good cheap visual interest for aquariums is to grab some clay pots and then break them up a bit to make them stack.  You can see some on the middle of my tank. The filled up my original 35 gallon better...

It was supposed to be a temporary thing until I had more money, but I really liked it after the algae grew on it, so they've been with me for 15 years or so now.  Nice and seasoned :) The fish seem to like them too.

I think it cost me about $10 for 10 of em 15 years ago.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
jtRCH2CJVMEe1qlV4PIiGIWurQqtNGuqGoYsXURNY3uc3GkmeU64sKnGobrTrjkN