captainzib
captainzib Reader
10/14/09 10:45 a.m.

Or stupid people are too stupid.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/10/14/automobiles/14hybrid.html?_r=2&emc=eta1

Hybrid Cars May Include Fake Vroom for Safety By JIM MOTAVALLI For decades, automakers have been on a quest to make cars quieter: an auto that purrs, and glides almost silently in traffic. They have finally succeeded. Plug-in hybrid and electric cars, it turns out, not only reduce air pollution, they cut noise pollution as well with their whisper-quiet motors. But that has created a different problem. They aren’t noisy enough. So safety experts, worried that hybrids pose a threat if pedestrians, children and others can’t hear them approaching, want automakers to supply some digitally enhanced vroom. Indeed, just as cellphones have ring tones, “car tones” may not be far behind — an option for owners of electric vehicles to choose the sound their cars emit. Working with Hollywood special-effects wizards, some hybrid auto companies have started tinkering in sound studios, rather than machine shops, to customize engine noises. The Fisker Karma, an $87,900 plug-in hybrid expected to go on sale next year, will emit a sound — pumped out of speakers in the bumpers — that the company founder, Henrik Fisker, describes as “a cross between a starship and a Formula One car.” Nissan is also consulting with the film industry on sounds that could be emitted by its forthcoming Leaf battery-electric vehicle, while Toyota has been working with the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, the National Federation of the Blind and the Society of Automotive Engineers on sounds for electric vehicles. “One possibility is choosing your own noise,” said Nathalie Bauters, a spokeswoman for BMW’s Mini division, who added that such technology could be added to one of BMW’s electric vehicles in the future. The notion that battery E.V.’s and plug-in hybrids might be too quiet has gained backing in Congress, among federal regulators and on the Internet. The Pedestrian Safety Enhancement Act of 2009, introduced early this year, would require a federal safety standard to protect pedestrians from ultra-quiet cars. Karen Aldana, a spokeswoman for traffic safety agency, which is also working on the issue, said, “We’re looking at data on noise and E.V. safety, but manufacturers are starting to address it voluntarily.” A Toyota spokesman, John Hanson, said: “I don’t know of any injuries related to this, but it is a concern. We are moving rapidly toward broader use of electrification in vehicles, and it’s a fact that these cars are very quiet and could pose a risk to unsighted people.” A study published last year by the University of California, Riverside and financed by the National Federation of the Blind evaluated the effect of sounds emitted by hybrid and internal-combustion cars traveling at 5 miles per hour. People listening in a lab could correctly detect a gas-powered car’s approach when it was 28 feet away, but could not hear the arrival of a hybrid operating in silent battery mode until it was only seven feet away. Some electric-vehicle drivers have taken a low-tech approach to alerting pedestrians. When Paul Scott of Santa Monica, Calif., drives his 2002 Toyota RAV4 electric car, he often rolls down the windows along busy streets and turns up his radio so people know his virtually silent vehicle is there. Mr. Scott, vice president of the advocacy group Plug In America, said he would prefer giving drivers control over whether the motor makes noise, unlike, say, the Fisker Karma, which will make its warning noise automatically. “Quiet cars need to stay quiet — we worked so hard to make them that way,” he said. “It’s the driver’s responsibility not to hit somebody.” Mr. Scott has already warmed up to the idea of a car ring tone. “It should be a manually operated noisemaker, a button on the steering wheel triggering a recording of your choice,” he said. “It could play ‘In-a-Gadda-Da-Vida,’ or anything you like.”

A manually operated noisemaker triggered via a button on the steering wheel? Why haven't they invented one of those yet?

Here's another thought, and this nonsense really grinds my gears, blind people being the exception to the rule, how about pedestrians watch for oncoming cars before walking in the street. And don't bring up the bs about children. My parents taught me that the street was a dangerous place where massive objects that could hurt me would travel. It's the pedestrian's berkeleying job to watch for cars. What with curtain airbags and just overall increasing bulk in cars, I was slowly creeping through a parking lot when I almost hit a guy because he was obstructed from my view by my Camry's A-pillar. I was driving slow, scanning right and left nonstop for clueless peds. As I was doing this, a skinny dude appeared from behind my A-pillar, and yes I stopped without hitting him, but he looked at me like I did something wrong. Have people forgot about self preservation?! I never ever walk in front of a moving vehicle without making eye contact with the driver. I want to know for damn sure that they see me. I'm not one of those people that thinks, "Ooooooh, lawyers will protect me!" Don't get me wrong, I'm all for responsible driving, but how about responsible walking, and we stop making up all these rules to protect stupid people from themselves?

Discuss.

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker Dork
10/14/09 10:53 a.m.

I agree with you - but I would be rigging up the shriek of a Ferrari V12 or Chevy v8 thru loudspeakers and pitch-controlled via the TPS.

I never asked for a quiet car :)

captainzib
captainzib Reader
10/14/09 10:54 a.m.

Ferrari V12? Chevy V8?

Dude you're small time.

How about an airhorn from a container ship. Now where to locate the air compressor and how big would it need to be?

aircooled
aircooled SuperDork
10/14/09 11:02 a.m.

I have scared the crap out of some people when driving up to them slowly. I am not sure if it was that they just couldn't hear the engine way in the back of the car, or that they thought it was that much farther away.

carguy123
carguy123 Dork
10/14/09 11:03 a.m.

Gee, a manually operated ring tone isn't that a horn?

Lugnut
Lugnut Reader
10/14/09 11:59 a.m.

V8, V12, air horn, blah blah blah. When I get a Tesla I want to make it sound like a TIE Fighter when I am at parking lot speeds, and at highway speeds I want it to sound like a Halifax bomber with four Merlins. That ought to keep the jackasses out of my way!

Schmidlap
Schmidlap Reader
10/14/09 12:03 p.m.

I was thinking I'd want my Prius (if I ever bought one) to sound like an old time locomotive, and then change my horn to sound like a train's.

John Brown
John Brown GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
10/14/09 12:13 p.m.

I have an idea. Just put credit cards on the forks and let them flap against the spokes ;)

stuart in mn
stuart in mn SuperDork
10/14/09 12:27 p.m.

There are a LOT more people commuting on bicycles than in electric vehicles, so when are they going to be required to put playing cards in their spokes so pedestrians can hear them coming?

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
10/14/09 12:46 p.m.

The only appropriate sound here is the Jetson car noise.

andrave
andrave HalfDork
10/14/09 12:50 p.m.

the future is that european pedestrian standards will require all vehicles to have a heavily padded bench type front end that not only prevents pedestrian injuries, but coddles, heats, and massages pedestrians. The future of commuting is simply standing in the middle of the road and waiting for a vehicle so equipped to hit you and carry you where you need to go.

This will also make the aforementioned noise problem moot.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
10/14/09 12:54 p.m.
andrave wrote: the future is that european pedestrian standards will require all vehicles to have a heavily padded bench type front end that not only prevents pedestrian injuries, but coddles, heats, and massages pedestrians. The future of commuting is simply standing in the middle of the road and waiting for a vehicle so equipped to hit you and carry you where you need to go. This will also make the aforementioned noise problem moot.

To be fair, the US will probably implement this requirement, being the historical leader in hilarious safety requirement overkill.

Josh
Josh HalfDork
10/14/09 12:55 p.m.
GameboyRMH wrote: The only appropriate sound here is the Jetson car noise.

If they did that, it would be the most powerful force drawing me to purchase a hybrid to date.

xci_ed6
xci_ed6 Reader
10/14/09 1:39 p.m.

When I started working for Toyota I was warned multiple times to keep my head up when walking around the shop. On the short trips in & out the Prius would not start the gas engine, so they were silent.

captainzib
captainzib Reader
10/14/09 2:02 p.m.
xci_ed6 wrote: When I started working for Toyota I was warned multiple times to keep my head up when walking around the shop. On the short trips in & out the Prius would not start the gas engine, so they were silent.

When I worked at Discount Tire we were required to sound the horn to every car before entering/exiting the garage. I thought that was a standard for all shops.

John Brown
John Brown GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
10/14/09 2:05 p.m.

Some but not all Ali, We have a single door 12 bay shop here and the techs try to run me over every day.

jwc38
jwc38 New Reader
10/14/09 2:36 p.m.

It really irks me how the politicians will steamroll any law that can be seen as improving safety, lower national speed limit, manually operated ring tone.. thing. Insane stuff like a 1k tax on speeding tickets (VA) takes months to get repealed. admittedly their hands are tied, imagine campaigning that the speed limits are too low, youd get inundated with baby killer poo flinging adds.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
10/14/09 6:32 p.m.

I agree... it makes them look good, but really does nothing

joey48442
joey48442 SuperDork
10/14/09 8:27 p.m.

I did almost get bumped into by a backing up prius that I didn't hear as I was walking.

Joey

blizazer
blizazer New Reader
10/14/09 9:49 p.m.
joey48442 wrote: I did almost get bumped into by a backing up prius that I didn't hear as I was walking. Joey

Funny story, I had the same problem with a Fiero last weekend.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
10/14/09 9:51 p.m.

You just need to work in a building with electric forklifts.. you learn to look before walking

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
c5qChlxhxukJdmqBXJN5AcBGOKicJWPrNaKpsfLqEWMHm3KZaAlTv14UQTXUBdhC