1 ... 12 13 14 15 16 17
David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
8/19/24 9:15 a.m.

Shot four or five rolls with the A-1 this weekend.

Now to get them processed....

Colin Wood
Colin Wood Associate Editor
8/19/24 9:45 a.m.

In reply to Mezzanine :

Thank you. It's entirely an accident, but a happy one for sure.

I'm still learning, so I'll file that one away as a "good" photo for future reference. wink

EDIT: Looked back at the negatives, and that photo was taken on Ultramax 400 using my recently-acquired Canon Rebel T2 with a 50mm lens. (Both lens and camera cost me just over $100, so I consider it money well spent.)

David S. Wallens
8/19/24 2:59 p.m.

Yeah, nice shots, Colin. The photos tell stories. 

David S. Wallens
8/19/24 3:02 p.m.

I visited Kiwi Camera in Orlando on Friday since I just happened to be passing by.

“Any reason I don’t want that 100/2.8?” I asked.

Nope. Excellent portrait lens.

Sold. 

I used it a bit this weekend. Love how it looked through the viewfinder, so soon we’ll see how the images look.

It’s an original “breach-mount” FD lens. I haven’t looked up the serial number, but I believe it would have been built from 1973 through like ’79. Price was $150.

David S. Wallens
8/19/24 3:19 p.m.

And a photo showing Kiwi’s entire showroom building. (They were locking up as I was leaving, hence the lowered shutters.)

David S. Wallens
8/20/24 4:52 p.m.

Dropped off the film from this weekend and picked up something new to try: Candido 800.

Mezzanine
Mezzanine SuperDork
8/20/24 8:05 p.m.

In reply to David S. Wallens :

"Pay for flights, not film"? Then why is your film $19?! All these films on the market...who is actually making these boutique films? I really want to know if they're truly getting custom or spec emulsions or if all these are just respooled. Film manufacturing is such a complex industry, I can't imagine there are many makers. 

David S. Wallens
8/20/24 8:33 p.m.

The Candido 800 cost $14 at our local lab. I wanted to pick up another roll of 800, and I believe this is their least expensive option. Not sure who makes it, though. We’ll see how it compares to the Flic Film 800 ($16/roll). 

David S. Wallens
8/20/24 8:36 p.m.

Flic Film offers a lot of respooled films, but they don’t mention who makes its 800.

David S. Wallens
8/21/24 9:32 a.m.

Actually, our local lab does have an 800 for even less: Its own Reformed Night Shots at $11.50/roll. It’s respooled Kodak Vision 3 5219. It’s tungsten balanced, though. Might have to try it and see if I like the look. 

02Pilot
02Pilot PowerDork
8/21/24 9:57 a.m.

An 85B filter will convert tungsten-balanced film to daylight.

David S. Wallens
8/21/24 10:13 a.m.

In reply to 02Pilot :

Thanks. tbh, hadn’t even done any searching on that. 

My immediate film plan:

I should have scans from yesterday’s drop-off early next week, so maybe by Tuesday.

See how things look.

Then stock up, as needed, for our upcoming Film Day. 

I also have a bit of olde film here that I should shoot. Figure I should use that up before buying much more. 

aw614
aw614 HalfDork
8/21/24 2:11 p.m.

I shot come cinestill 800t this past weekend that I've had for a while, not sure how its going to turn out especially trying to meter at night. I am not sure what to expect...I may have overexposed like crazy when I probably didn't need to, but that the lighting was tricky...

Local lab has Candido too and I'll probably switch to that, as its much cheaper than cinestill. 

David S. Wallens
8/21/24 4:12 p.m.

One of the people at our local lab love Cinestill 800T. 

Paris Van Gorder
Paris Van Gorder Associate editor
8/26/24 9:40 a.m.

Anyone have cleaning suggestions? My grandfather recently gifted me his old Canon F-1 with a complete FD lense set that he got in Japan when it first came out. I really want to start film but the camera and lenses have been in storage awhile so they need a good cleaning. 

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 MegaDork
8/26/24 10:21 a.m.
Paris Van Gorder said:

Anyone have cleaning suggestions? My grandfather recently gifted me his old Canon F-1 with a complete FD lense set that he got in Japan when it first came out. I really want to start film but the camera and lenses have been in storage awhile so they need a good cleaning. 

I have to believe that David's friends at Kiwi Camera could go over that equipment and put it in tip-top shape!

David S. Wallens
8/26/24 12:03 p.m.

Yep, Kiwi is your place. I have an F-1, too, and know it well. :) 

In fact, I need to take mine over so they can check the light meter for me. 

David S. Wallens
8/26/24 12:56 p.m.

And here’s my Canon F-1. It’s the updated version of the original F-1. 

David S. Wallens
8/27/24 10:41 a.m.

Just got back my scans for four rolls: Fuji 400, Aurora 800 x2 and Ilford XP2. I’ll share some in a bit, but at first glance, I’m happy. 

Colin Wood
8/27/24 12:15 p.m.

Had this show up in my memories. Apparently, I've had my K1000 for three years now.

Probably time to get it serviced...

David S. Wallens
8/27/24 1:14 p.m.

In reply to Colin Wood :

How many rolls have passed through it? Considering the abuse these have seen in the field, I’d keep shooting it unless you’re having an issue. 

Nice strap, too. :) 

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 MegaDork
8/27/24 1:17 p.m.
David S. Wallens said:

In reply to Colin Wood :

How many rolls have passed through it? Considering the abuse these have seen in the field, I’d keep shooting it unless you’re having an issue. 

Nice strap, too. :) 

Yup.  If it ain't broke...

I did send my wife's K-1000 off to Gary's a year or two ago.  The film lever did not reliably advance the film.  It's about the only problem somewhat common to the model.

Colin Wood
8/27/24 4:41 p.m.

Far too many to count.

And heard on the servicing. I'll wait until something breaks.

(And for anyone not in the know, you can find that camera strap here. It's made from the same vinyl that's used in the trunk of the original Mustang.)

David S. Wallens
8/28/24 10:28 a.m.

I’m also happy with the Fuji 400. I think this roll is from a three-pack that I grabbed from Walmart during the Pikes Peak weekend. 

stroker
stroker PowerDork
8/28/24 10:51 a.m.

Dunno if there's anything of any interest to anyone here, but... here's a pile of film camera hardware for sale.  NMNA, naturally.

1 ... 12 13 14 15 16 17

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
CFOaprQHFwa4IU8ksLYZhIYPZXL4fcgEfgxDKiuQwDhTgy2y9PsyFrCyFzQWa2Qz