1 2 3 4 ... 9
bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
1/25/21 2:28 p.m.
dean1484 said:

So while we are arguing food will some one please explain to me why when you turn a certain age (12,13,14?) you are all of a sudden not suppose to put ketchup on hot dogs?

Who told you that crock of E36 M3? They're liars. Damned dirty liars

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
1/25/21 2:28 p.m.

I bought a peel and a pizza stone and am experimenting with baking pizza. 

I've come to realize that pizza is like sex.  Sure some is better than others. But any pizza is better than no pizza. 

Trent
Trent PowerDork
1/25/21 2:30 p.m.

Fat/lard in a crust? Hell no. At a proper pizza oven temp that fat will burn on the hot stone surface ruining your pizza.

A proper Neapolitan pizza dough is flour, salt, yeast and water..... FOR A REASON!

Duke
Duke MegaDork
1/25/21 2:30 p.m.
alfadriver (Forum Supporter) said:

I've never seen arugula being used on pizza in the US.  And it's awesome.

Our favorite pizza is prosciutto baked on the pie and then piled with lightly dressed arugula as soon as it comes out of the brick oven, baked well done.

We can get that a couple places locally but only one dresses the arugula which makes the difference between really good and stellar. 

Peabody
Peabody UltimaDork
1/25/21 2:37 p.m.

Where I was born this is pizza.

It was a staple at every family function. Being no- dairy guy, this is also my favourite pizza. 

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/25/21 2:38 p.m.

So wood fired pizza oven or a coal fired pizza oven? We have both and I had not tried a coal fired one and it is darn good.  It gets to much higher temps than regular wood and there is that wonderful taste of un burn hydrocarbons that you get.  

dean1484
1/25/21 2:39 p.m.

In reply to Peabody :

We had that as well.  Just about everyones mom had a variant of home made pizza like that.  

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
1/25/21 2:40 p.m.

I love pizza. My body doesn't like pizza sauce so we've been experimenting. 

alfadriver (Forum Supporter)
alfadriver (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
1/25/21 2:43 p.m.
dean1484 said:

So while we are arguing food will some one please explain to me why when you turn a certain age (12,13,14?) you are all of a sudden not suppose to put ketchup on hot dogs?

That was the age taste developed.  So it went from a sweet bandaid to a OMG that just tOOOO sweet, I can't take it like I used to.

I still use it, but enough to balance with the rest of the condiments, so you can taste more than ketchup.  

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
1/25/21 2:43 p.m.

In reply to Peabody :

That looks like something they make near where I grew up called Trenton tomoato pie. 

dean1484
1/25/21 2:45 p.m.

I also like (yes frozen like a brick) but it was something we got as kids that while not "good" it brings me back to the 1970's.

Just something about that cardboard consistency with the weird sauce.  Ahhh the memories.  LOL

Yes I have some in my freezer as we speak. 

https://ellios.com/

Duke
Duke MegaDork
1/25/21 2:50 p.m.

In reply to dean1484 :

I like both wood and coal. The place I was talking about above is coal fired which does indeed make for a nice crispy-chewy crust. 

dean1484
1/25/21 2:50 p.m.
alfadriver (Forum Supporter) said:
dean1484 said:

That was the age taste developed.  So it went from a sweet bandaid to a OMG that just tOOOO sweet, I can't take it like I used to.

I still use it, but enough to balance with the rest of the condiments, so you can taste more than ketchup.  

I get this. 

It is actually tangy.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
1/25/21 2:52 p.m.
bobzilla said:
dean1484 said:

No one old enough to use the toilet unassisted should eat ketchup on a hot dog. 

ShawnG
ShawnG UltimaDork
1/25/21 2:52 p.m.
dean1484 said:

Pardon?

Hotdog perfection is Ketchup and onions.

Coleslaw on a hotdog is amazing.

dean1484
1/25/21 2:54 p.m.
Duke said:
bobzilla said:
dean1484 said:

Ok But Why?

RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
1/25/21 2:56 p.m.
bobzilla said:

I love pizza. My body doesn't like pizza sauce so we've been experimenting. 

Vodka sauce.

It doesn't kill me nearly as bad as regular pizza or marinara sauce, and tastes amazing on a good pizza

02Pilot
02Pilot UltraDork
1/25/21 3:00 p.m.

In spite of the fact that I have lost all respect for some of you because of this thread, I find it difficult to resist throwing in my two cents. First off, the proper test of any pizza source is how they do with a plain pie. If they can't get the basics right, all the toppings in the world won't redeem their awful, crappy pizza, and they should hang their heads in eternal shame. Second, any dough or sauce that has sugar added to it is an immediate disqualifier; any sweetness must come from the tomatoes themselves. Third, mozzarella of some sort (I tend to prefer fresh mozzarella, but that's not mandatory) must be included in a quantity proportional to the amount of sauce on the pie. You'd think this would be self-evident, but based on my experience it isn't. Additional cheese varieties may be included, but must remain secondary components. White pizzas or red pizzas are marginal cases, but based on intent they are allowable exceptions to this rule. Fourth, toppings should be applied sparingly and complement, not overwhelm, the pizza itself. If you can't see your slice through the toppings, you're eating a pile of random diced foods, not pizza. Fifth, if it requires utensils, it's not pizza (I'm looking at you, Chicago). Eating pizza with utensils is allowable as a choice, not an obligation.

I'll admit - embrace, even - being a pizza snob, due largely to geography placing me near the epicenter of American pizza (NY/CT), but I've eaten it around the country and many places in Europe. Finding good pizza (as distinct from both poorly crafted examples that violate one or more of the above maxims, as well as expensive, gimmicky crap) may be easier or harder in some places, but both exist wherever there are hungry people. Some of the worst pizza I ever ate was in Italy.

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa UltraDork
1/25/21 3:02 p.m.
Fueled by Caffeine said:

I bought a peel and a pizza stone and am experimenting with baking pizza. 

I've come to realize that pizza is like sex.  Sure some is better than others. But any pizza is better than no pizza. 

Don't discount pizza cooked in cast iron.  Throw a good pat of butter in the bottom and the bottom of the crust almost fries.

So good

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
1/25/21 3:03 p.m.

NY pizza is crap. If I wanted to eat greasy cardboard, I'd just do it at home for free. And why is it "pizza snobs" are always New Yorkers? 

/sarcasm. But seriously though, if you have to fold your pizza to eat it you're doing it wrong.

stanger_mussle (Forum Supporter)
stanger_mussle (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
1/25/21 3:06 p.m.

When my stepson was growing up, the only pizza he would eat was cheese thin crust pizza. It was like cheese on a damn saltine cracker.

Thin crust is fine, if its baked in a wood fired brick pizza oven.

One of the best pizzas I've ever had is called the Shotsy. It has mustard sauce, Swiss and mozzarella cheese, smoked polish sausage, onions and sauerkraut. Couple that with a good lager and its like heaven on earth.

Anchovies should only be used as bait.

At 39 years old, I've yet to have real New York style pizza.

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 MegaDork
1/25/21 3:10 p.m.
dean1484 said:
Duke said:
bobzilla said:
dean1484 said:

Ok But Why?

Why?  This is why!  Mustard, sauerkraut, chili & cheese, onions, but no ketchup!

johndej
johndej Dork
1/25/21 3:15 p.m.

In reply to dean1484 :

this one hits me.

Dusterbd13-michael (Forum Supporter)
Dusterbd13-michael (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
1/25/21 3:17 p.m.
dean1484 said:

Dunno. Im knocking on 40 and love ketchup on hotdogs. 

I also like pineapple and ham on pizza.

All yall that disagree with my pizza choices are free to send me all expenses paid pizza of your favorite type of pizza for me to eat and see if i change my mind. Or, you know, admit you're wrong. 

Grtechguy
Grtechguy MegaDork
1/25/21 3:28 p.m.

We have 24" round pizzas around here.  slices don't work well at that size and squares are preferred. 

1 2 3 4 ... 9

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
VEzPS5wOrc2rj1eFvKeJY02HT3MvKzV590F44sfmru4V8LKzGqyoNtCNwZSVGWHm