1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 9
Wally (Forum Supporter)
Wally (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/25/21 7:11 p.m.

In reply to Streetwiseguy :

Enough people here willingly eat chain pizza to convince me no one outside of the Northeast has even seen an actual pizza let alone be qualified to offer an opinion on it. 

logdog (Forum Supporter)
logdog (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UberDork
1/25/21 7:12 p.m.

Im currently sitting in a hotel room eating a slice of pizza I bought from a Big Y grocery store deli in Connecticut.  At this moment in time its the best pizza I have EVER had because Im hungry and its what Im shoving in my face.  The only Pizza I have ever had that I would call "bad"  was from a place in Southern Ohio that used fake cheese.  It was very plastic-like and didn't really melt.  A .99 cent frozen pizza was light years better.  

In northeast Pennsylvania they have "Old Forge" pizza that reminds me of the St Louis pizza because they mix American or something in it.  But if you get it from the good Alfredo's its still tasty.

My greasy grocery store Connecticut pizza-

triumph7
triumph7 Reader
1/25/21 7:13 p.m.
AutoOccultist said:

In St. Louis they put this horrible stuff on a cracker called Provel and then try to sell it as pizza.  It not good on a hot pizza and its really bad on a cold pizza.  Then to make things worse all these Italian eateries grab on to it as some sort of St. Louis identity and start putting that horrible "cheese" in everything.

The absolute worst thing I had that was supposed to be pizza was in St Louis.  I don't remember the name of the place but it was advertised as "Rated best by St Louis Magazine".  We were there with a bunch of kids for a gymnastics meet.  Given the combination of kids and "pizza", even bad pizza, you wouldn't expect boxes of half eaten pizzas to be left in the hallways but..........

Wally (Forum Supporter)
Wally (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/25/21 7:15 p.m.
barefootskater (Shaun) said:

In reply to Wally (Forum Supporter) :

I had White Castle for the first time in Indiana, so it's not that bad a place. 

I just realized I may have made things worse. 

I never said it's a bad place I just wouldn't head there for pizza, just like i wouldn't come here for BBQ.  

Purple Frog (Forum Supporter)
Purple Frog (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
1/25/21 7:28 p.m.

i'm spoiled.  I learned pizza from my old Italian friend from the La Bruzzi region.  

He makes a very thin crust, that when it comes out of the oven is crispy.  (like SVreX said)  Not a lot of half cooked dough.

All Natural ingredients.  Quality cheese.  The best meats.

To die for.

Antihero (Forum Supporter)
Antihero (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
1/25/21 7:31 p.m.

My wife worked in pizza for over a decade and would eat pizza every day for multiple meals. My dad would do the same.

Both are disappointed that I'm meh about pizza and won't eat it every day.

There's a great pizza place around that I like but ......pizza maybe 2 times a month is enough

slantvaliant (Forum Supporter)
slantvaliant (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
1/25/21 7:37 p.m.
RevRico said:

Pineapple is ... Acceptable when paired with a salty pork product, bacon, chitlins, ham, etc. Kindly GTFO if you support anchovies though.

(Emphasis added)

Four pages in, and y'all let CHITLINS slide?

Floating Doc (Forum Supporter)
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UberDork
1/25/21 7:37 p.m.

This discussion is like Ford versus Chevy versus Mopar.

So in light of that, here's my mark Donahue javelin:

my homemade sourdough crust, shredded carrot (which my wife always insists on, and is actually pretty good), and whatever topping I feel like. Seafood, egg, various vegetables, and almost never tomato sauce. I often add diced tomatoes, however.

whole milk mozzarella always! Sometimes I will grate parmesan over it when it comes out of the oven. It's pizza, it's always good!

This one has chunks of fish on it. My daughter and I like olives, wife and son do not.

Gearheadotaku (Forum Supporter)
Gearheadotaku (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
1/25/21 7:43 p.m.

Proper Pizza, made in Detroit. Just like proper cars.

Don't get me started on coney dogs....

RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
1/25/21 7:53 p.m.

In reply to slantvaliant (Forum Supporter) :

I'm surprised it made it that far too, I think everybody just shut off at pineapple. 

Floating doc is right though, sunny side up eggs on pizza is phenomenal. The first time I tried it I didn't know if I wanted eggs or pizza for breakfast, so left over little Caesar's bacon wrapped and a pan fried egg came together and holy awesome.  I hear that it's popular in Australia too.

dropstep
dropstep UberDork
1/25/21 7:57 p.m.

Hand tossed style crust, light sauce and a lot of toppings. Preferably a round pizza cut into squares. Pineapples are delicious but no thanks on a pizza. Anchovies shouldn't be food  period.

the only true thin crust I eat is desperation little ceasers because I can't stand pan crust! 

vwcorvette (Forum Supporter)
vwcorvette (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
1/25/21 8:26 p.m.
Gearheadotaku (Forum Supporter) said:

Proper Pizza, made in Detroit. Just like proper cars.

Don't get me started on coney dogs....

I have the real pan and make this regularly. My wife makes a great deep dish double crust Chicago style, and I love me some Sicilian from anywhere near NYC and make my own as well as thin crust neopolitan style.

jfryjfry (FS)
jfryjfry (FS) Dork
1/25/21 8:35 p.m.

I'm gonna just put this down right here.....fig butter, whole mozzarella, thick bacon (or prosciutto) and figs  

why yes, I AM from Southern California... how'dja know??

(+1 for pineapple on pizza, too)

Duke
Duke MegaDork
1/25/21 8:45 p.m.
dean1484 said:
Duke said:
bobzilla said:
dean1484 said:

So while we are arguing food will some one please explain to me why when you turn a certain age (12,13,14?) you are all of a sudden not suppose to put ketchup on hot dogs?

Who told you that crock of E36 M3? They're liars. Damned dirty liars

No one old enough to use the toilet unassisted should eat ketchup on a hot dog. 

Ok But Why?

Because it tastes gross. Curing and seasoning gives hot dogs have a very distinct flavor that borders on sweetness anyway and ketchup is too sweet and too tomato-ish to complement it. And yes, I use exactly the same ketchup you do.

It's not just about the sweetness, though. A touch of sweet pickle relish is good as long as you pair it with mustard. Hot dogs are best with mustard which cuts the cured flavor of the hotdog. 

Duke
Duke MegaDork
1/25/21 8:58 p.m.
triumph7 said:
AutoOccultist said:

In St. Louis they put this horrible stuff on a cracker called Provel and then try to sell it as pizza.  It not good on a hot pizza and its really bad on a cold pizza.  Then to make things worse all these Italian eateries grab on to it as some sort of St. Louis identity and start putting that horrible "cheese" in everything.

The absolute worst thing I had that was supposed to be pizza was in St Louis.  I don't remember the name of the place but it was advertised as "Rated best by St Louis Magazine".  We were there with a bunch of kids for a gymnastics meet.  Given the combination of kids and "pizza", even bad pizza, you wouldn't expect boxes of half eaten pizzas to be left in the hallways but..........

It was Slimo's... I mean Imo's, I guarantee it.

Like I said, 35 years later I'm still bitching about that pizza. It was really expensive, too.

slowbird
slowbird SuperDork
1/25/21 9:04 p.m.

The only true food crime is shaming other people's favorite foods. cheeky

That said:

Pineapple pizza is good but it's not my go-to. Obviously pepperoni is the best. Bacon, mushrooms, black olives, all good as extra toppings. But buffalo chicken pizza is great too. Stuffed crust is great and I wish all pizzas had it.

Also: Open-face sandwiches are just small pizzas. Tacos are a form of sub sandwich. Pizza rolls are just tiny burritos.

Boost_Crazy
Boost_Crazy Dork
1/25/21 9:12 p.m.

I love pizza. I’ve had pizza all over the world- Chicago, NY, Naples, and everywhere in between. All good despite their differences. But the best pizza comes from a chain in California. Nothing else tastes like it, nothing else small smells like it- you can smell the distinctive aroma of it baking 100 yards from the pizza parlor, and identify the pizza before seeing it. Funny, everyone outside California knows about In-N-Out burgers- which are good, but really just another burger. Yet few know about Round Table Pizza, which is on a whole separate tier from every other pizza. The discussion is “Lets get pizza-“ which triggers a discussion on which pizza to get, not including Roundtable. Or “Let’s get Roundtable.” The two are never grouped in the same category. Also because Roundtable is expensive, and as such is a treat. Regular pizza is like fast food, where Roundtable is the five star steakhouse of pizza. 

Antihero (Forum Supporter)
Antihero (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
1/25/21 9:15 p.m.

In reply to Boost_Crazy :

We always used to go to Roundtable when we lived near by.

Ian F (Forum Supporter)
Ian F (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
1/25/21 9:29 p.m.
90BuickCentury said:

In reply to Ian F (Forum Supporter) :

We are so far apart on this issue, I think we will just need to agree to disagree. laugh

You and my ex-.

However, her father liked anchovies on pizza. So whenever we had pizza at her parents' - I got anchovies. smiley

There are times when I miss my ex's parents more than her. Ok - that would be most of the time.

barefootskater (Shaun)
barefootskater (Shaun) UberDork
1/25/21 10:16 p.m.

In reply to Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) :

If this is Chevy vs Ford vs Mopar, let's flesh it out. 

Ford is overly proud, has a loyal following, and is obsessed with "ford did it first, ford does it best, everyone else just can't get it right." These are the NY pizza folks. 

Mopar is the constant runner-up, does a lot of odd things that don't stick around, but they've hit a few home runs over the years. And talk about a cult. These are the Chicago deep dish folks. Also some of the most "unique" folks I know are Mopar freaks, so we'll lump in the pickle pizza crowd here too. 

Chevy is familiar, cheap and reliable. Interchangeable. They didn't do it first, and they don't really do it best, but you know what you're getting. let the other guys have their pride, you'll get the job done just as well. These are the chain pizza folks. The Pizza Hut and Little Caesar's. 

Honsch
Honsch New Reader
1/26/21 1:55 a.m.
Duke said:Hot dogs are best with mustard which cuts the cured flavor of the hotdog. 

That mustrd better be hot enough to be classified as a war crime.  Everyting else is for babies.

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/26/21 6:29 a.m.
Honsch said:
Duke said:Hot dogs are best with mustard which cuts the cured flavor of the hotdog. 

That mustrd better be hot enough to be classified as a war crime.  Everyting else is for babies.

I think you may need to try another hot dog. 

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
1/26/21 7:03 a.m.
Wally (Forum Supporter) said:

In reply to bobzilla :

No one ever talks about what great pizza they had in Indiana. 

True, that's why we import the right stuff from Chicago. 

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
1/26/21 7:04 a.m.
Streetwiseguy said:

New York pizza people are very much like German engineers.  They have both told everyone within earshot that they are really, really good at stuff, but when you search the source of the info, it's either New Yorkers or Germans telling you this.

They are both wrong.

I liken it to Crossfit people. They just have to tell you how great it is until you punch them in the face. 

lotusseven7 (Forum Supporter)
lotusseven7 (Forum Supporter) HalfDork
1/26/21 7:09 a.m.

You guys are killing me with this thread. This fall I wanted to build a wood fired pizza oven and went down a horrible rabbit hole. Short version of the story is that I scrambled and got it completed just before the first snow of the season. It's done and sitting in the back yard covered up with tarps/rubber and snow. I so wanted to get it fired up and at least try it but the weather decided it didn't want me to eat homemade wood fired pizza last year. Next year I will be able to give you guys some real world pizza data once I figure out how to cook in the oven. I guess it isn't as easy as lighting wood on fire and throwing dough in there. We shall see.

If anyone ever ends up in the northeast PA area, hit me up for some pizza/beer in the backyard!

1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 9

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
fszYhEF366brfCiRIHPuRSAJFoFfMqPqEEY1Z99L4kxW5LwrhGo8sEOJvmoWfC9R