1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 9
Old_Town
Old_Town Reader
1/26/21 7:13 a.m.

White pizza > Most Neapolitan types pies.

lateapexer
lateapexer Reader
1/26/21 7:31 a.m.

Corn seems to be a necessary ingredient on Hungarian pizza.

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
1/26/21 7:49 a.m.

In reply to lateapexer :

Like corn meal in the crust or actual kernels on the pizza? I've been thinking of a cornbread crust pizza lately

Duke
Duke MegaDork
1/26/21 9:02 a.m.
dean1484 said:
Honsch said:
Duke said:
Hot dogs are best with mustard which cuts the cured flavor of the hotdog. 

That mustard better be hot enough to be classified as a war crime.  Everything else is for babies.

I think you may need to try another hot dog. 

No, that's true of every hot dog ever made, from the classic Oscar Mayer to bougie uncured organic dogs to the most generic 2-for-$2 roller dogs.  I like all kinds of hot dogs; as long as it is all beef or beef and pork, I'll eat it.  I'm not a dog snob.

Ketchup fundamentally clashes with hot dog flavor.  Ketchup is no problem on a burger (though they need mustard as well) but it just does not work on hot dogs.

I prefer spicy brown mustard but the bright yellow stuff will do in a pinch.

Bratwurst are a different story entirely.  The fewer condiments the better on a good brat.  NEVER ketchup, the smallest hint of spicy mustard, a tiny dab of relish, and maybe a half teaspoon of minced onion.

mtn (Forum Supporter)
mtn (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
1/26/21 9:07 a.m.
Duke said:
dean1484 said:
Honsch said:
Duke said:
Hot dogs are best with mustard which cuts the cured flavor of the hotdog. 

That mustard better be hot enough to be classified as a war crime.  Everything else is for babies.

I think you may need to try another hot dog. 

No, that's true of every hot dog ever made, from the classic Oscar Mayer to bougie uncured organic dogs to the most generic 2-for-$2 roller dogs.  I like all kinds of hot dogs; as long as it is all beef or beef and pork, I'll eat it.  I'm not a dog snob.

Bratwurst are a different story entirely.  The fewer condiments the better on a good brat.  NEVER ketchup, the smallest hint of spicy mustard, a tiny dab of relish, and maybe a half teaspoon of minced onion.

He says he's not a dog snob, yet I don't see donkey shiny happy person on his list of acceptable ingredients. Sounds pretty snobbish to me. 

And you forgot horseradish on acceptable bratwurst toppings.

RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
1/26/21 9:10 a.m.

In reply to Duke :

Have you found an all beef dog that isn't a greasy acidic mess? Store brands, Oscar Meyer, Hebrew national, even Smiths which I've taken a liking too, I can't find an all beef that doesn't give me horrible heartburn or cause grease fires when I cook them.

I took a real liking to the hog casing dogs from my butcher, but they haven't been able to get any during the pandemic, so I've been on the hunt for something similar in price and taste. Turns out an $8 pack of hot dogs can definitely be worse than a $1 pack.

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 MegaDork
1/26/21 9:14 a.m.

Frankly, I am sickened by the lack of respect being shown for the mighty anchovy.  Anchovies, much like sardines, are health food in a can that tastes great!

But don't take my word for it:  https://www.webmd.com/diet/health-benefits-anchovies#1

Duke
Duke MegaDork
1/26/21 9:22 a.m.

Also:

I think the problem everyone west of Pittsburgh has with thin crust pizza stems from a fundamental misunderstanding of what thin crust actually means.

Thin crust pizza is NOT the weird matzoh-like crunchy thing that the "ketchup on a cracker" crowd like to make fun of.  If that's what you think thin crust is, no wonder you hate it.  We hate it too, so we're all agreed.

Thin crust pizza is hand-tossed round or hand-stretched square; doesn't matter, it's the hand work that counts.  It's somewhere between 3/16"-5/16" thick across the field of the pizza when baked and has a rim of 1/2"-3/4" thick around the outside.

It's baked directly on a stone (preferred) or steel (for utility pizza) flat floored oven.  A small scattering of cornmeal underneath to help with movement, maybe.  No shortening in the crust.

It's baked until crispy but NEVER crunchy.  The initial bite should have a modest munching sound / feel that immediately gives way to a tender-but-firm chew.  The crust should never be either soggy or dry.  That's why it can't be too thin - once you get below 3/16" it's either underbaked (wet) or overbaked (crunchy).

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
1/26/21 9:22 a.m.

brat's deserve spicy brown mustard and a slice of pepperjack. Hot dogs get miracle whip and american with bacon bits if at home, ketchup/mustard/relish if out. Or chili and cheese with onions. 

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt UltimaDork
1/26/21 9:23 a.m.
jfryjfry (FS) said:

I'm gonna just put this down right here.....fig butter, whole mozzarella, thick bacon (or prosciutto) and figs  

why yes, I AM from Southern California... how'dja know??

(+1 for pineapple on pizza, too)

Supposedly, fig and cheese pizza predates the tomato sauce kind by at least a millennium.

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
1/26/21 9:24 a.m.
Duke said:

Also:

I think the problem everyone west of Pittsburgh has with thin crust pizza stems from a fundamental misunderstanding of what thin crust actually means.

Thin crust pizza is NOT the weird matzoh-like crunchy thing that the "ketchup on a cracker" crowd like to make fun of.  If that's what you think thin crust is, no wonder you hate it.  We hate it too, so we're all agreed.

Thin crust pizza is hand-tossed round or hand-stretched square; doesn't matter, it's the hand work that counts.  It's somewhere between 3/16"-5/16" across the field of the pizza when baked and has a rim of 1/2"-3/4" thick around the outside.

It's baked directly on a stone (preferred) or steel (for utility pizza) flat floored oven.  A small scattering of cornmeal underneath to help with movement, maybe.  No shortening in the crust.

It's baked until crispy but NEVER crunchy.  The initial bite should have a modest munching sound / feel that immediately gives way to a tender-but-firm chew.  The crust should never be either soggy or dry.  That's why it can't be too thin - once you get below 3/16" it's either underbaked (wet) or overbaked (crunchy).

I love "you people" thinking we have never had your crappy pizza. I have. Right from the east coast where my wife grew up. I had that greasy floppy mess. No thanks. cheeky

If a pizza can't feed you for a week, it's too thin.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
1/26/21 9:28 a.m.
mtn (Forum Supporter) said:
Duke said:
I like all kinds of hot dogs; as long as it is all beef or beef and pork, I'll eat it.  I'm not a dog snob.

He says he's not a dog snob, yet I don't see donkey shiny happy person on his list of acceptable ingredients. Sounds pretty snobbish to me. 

Donkey, uh, parts are acceptable if they are standard ingredients.  That comment was directed more towards chicken or turkey, which are delicious in their own forms but not acceptable in a hot dog.

And you forgot horseradish on acceptable bratwurst toppings.

I personally wouldn't like horseradish because it would overpower the brat for me, but if you do we can still be friends.  I like horseradish on other things.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
1/26/21 9:32 a.m.
bobzilla said:

brat's deserve spicy brown mustard and a slice of pepperjack. Hot dogs get miracle whip and american with bacon bits if at home, ketchup/mustard/relish if out. Or chili and cheese with onions. 

If you actually eat Miracle Whip on anything I'm immediately suspect of any other culinary opinion you may have.

Though American cheese and bacon bits (without the vile oily cake frosting that is Miracle Whip) would be good on a hot dog, mustard / relish is my usual, and chili / cheese / onions is perfect.

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
1/26/21 9:33 a.m.

In reply to Duke :

I was fed MW since birth, so it's hard to shake. It's like Pepsi was the only soda provided so it's the preference over coke.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
1/26/21 9:34 a.m.
bobzilla said:
Duke said:

Also:

I love "you people" thinking we have never had your crappy pizza. I have. Right from the east coast where my wife grew up. I had that greasy floppy mess. No thanks. cheeky

If a pizza can't feed you for a week, it's too thin.

Deep dish is delicious.  I have no problem with it.  It's just Italian Pot Pie, not pizza.

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 MegaDork
1/26/21 9:35 a.m.

How did this noble thread about pizza devolve into a discussion of the lowly wiener?

Duke
Duke MegaDork
1/26/21 9:35 a.m.
bobzilla said:

In reply to Duke :

I was fed MW since birth, so it's hard to shake. It's like Pepsi was the only soda provided so it's the preference over coke.

Fair enough; we all grow up with what we grow up with.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
1/26/21 9:38 a.m.
RevRico said:

In reply to Duke :

Have you found an all beef dog that isn't a greasy acidic mess? Store brands, Oscar Meyer, Hebrew national, even Smiths which I've taken a liking too, I can't find an all beef that doesn't give me horrible heartburn or cause grease fires when I cook them..

We most often get these.  They do me OK and the best thing I like about them is they are not a sodium nightmare like many dogs are (though they are still bad).

Brett_Murphy (Ex-Patrón)
Brett_Murphy (Ex-Patrón) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/26/21 9:44 a.m.
bobzilla said:

You fold paper, not your food. 

So, you don't eat wontons, egg rolls, omelets, calzones and a bunch of other folded foods?

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
1/26/21 9:56 a.m.

In reply to Brett_Murphy (Ex-Patrón) :

those are folded in the cooking process. Not in the eating process. BIG difference.

spacecadet (Forum Supporter)
spacecadet (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
1/26/21 9:56 a.m.
Wally (Forum Supporter) said:

In reply to Streetwiseguy :

Enough people here willingly eat chain pizza to convince me no one outside of the Northeast has even seen an actual pizza let alone be qualified to offer an opinion on it. 

THIS

Native to greater Chicago I grew up with ALL the great types of pizza.

I love good Brooklyn style large slices and I also love Chicago deep dish when it's done correctly.

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
1/26/21 9:57 a.m.

In reply to Duke :

"Italian pot pie" .... llove it. I also love pot pies so...win/win

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
1/26/21 9:58 a.m.
spacecadet (Forum Supporter) said:
Wally (Forum Supporter) said:

In reply to Streetwiseguy :

Enough people here willingly eat chain pizza to convince me no one outside of the Northeast has even seen an actual pizza let alone be qualified to offer an opinion on it. 

THIS

Native to greater Chicago I grew up with ALL the great types of pizza.

I love good Brooklyn style large slices and I also love Chicago deep dish when it's done correctly.

I'm sorry you're so wrong.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
1/26/21 10:05 a.m.
bobzilla said:
I had that greasy floppy mess. No thanks. cheeky

See, that's the other inherent advantage of the fold.

Fold the slice, grasp it by the outer corners of the crust, and hold it tip up over the plate.

The fold now makes a convenient channel that magically lets the grease run neatly off without getting on your fingers.  Hold it that way for a minute or two then enjoy delicious, un-greasy pizza.

barefootskater (Shaun)
barefootskater (Shaun) UberDork
1/26/21 10:20 a.m.

Dammit, Bob! Miracle whip?!!? 

If you're raised by a family of cat killers, and grow up killing cats for fun, that still doesn't make it acceptable behavior. 

1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 9

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
DPN8kylaGawdAyq0rJf0VSBsNwYsremOQjVpckYEc7TrRMIDRxUE4q9q5pP0fIad