1 2
NOT A TA
NOT A TA Dork
8/1/19 2:17 p.m.

Bear like chicken dinners. Dunno if there's any in your area.

Hotwire may be your answer. The predatory animals learn not to try to get to the chickens. Shooting something only stops that one, there's a lot of predators outside of your chicken area.

BlindPirate
BlindPirate Reader
8/1/19 2:19 p.m.

I have ducks and a few chickens. I think foxes will grab your bird and carry it away to eat it where you wouldn't see the evidence.

spitfirebill
spitfirebill MegaDork
8/1/19 2:28 p.m.

Could be a wild or stray dog.  

BlindPirate
BlindPirate Reader
8/1/19 2:31 p.m.
RevRico said:

hahaha, you guys are funny. Can I borrow your dogs or cats for the weekend?

You can borrow my cats forever. Seriously though, I don't think cats are going to help you. I've lost more cats than chickens. The right dog could help. Also guinea fowl will hang out with the chickens and when something is around that shouldn't be there they will let you and all your neighbors know

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
8/1/19 2:54 p.m.

There are outside cats around me, and they've not had any problem with the foxes.

We also have the smaller grey foxes. Here is one passing through my yard.

mtn
mtn MegaDork
8/1/19 3:18 p.m.
BlindPirate said:
RevRico said:

hahaha, you guys are funny. Can I borrow your dogs or cats for the weekend?

You can borrow my cats forever. Seriously though, I don't think cats are going to help you. I've lost more cats than chickens. The right dog could help. Also guinea fowl will hang out with the chickens and when something is around that shouldn't be there they will let you and all your neighbors know

Find an LSG that is good with chickens. Many Great Pyrenees, Maremmas, etc., if brought up with chickens, are really good at keeping predators away while being sweet giant floofs that don't listen to you. Go look up some videos--Great Pyrenees are the sweetest, most gentle dogs around, but show them a coyote and they'll go and snap its neck in about 5 seconds. Have a bear come in, and they'll start barking up a storm and defending their territory. And they're pretty much nocturnal and were literally bred to protect the flock while shepards slept. 

Though if you have close neighbors, don't get one. They're barky dogs. 

AAZCD
AAZCD HalfDork
8/1/19 4:08 p.m.

This thread needs more Fox.

For your problem is there a Wildlife Dept, game warden, or local agency that will relocate them? A year ago, the local police came through my neighborhood, guns drawn. I heard shots fired about 10 minutes later. They took out a feral hog.

kazoospec
kazoospec UltraDork
8/2/19 6:49 a.m.

If it is a fox, you most likely won't have much luck shooting it.  They are extremely smart animals, are naturally skittish, have exceptional senses of smell and hearing and (unless there is a serious food shortage) it's very unlikely you will see them.  According to our local DNR, if you do see them out and unafraid, it's likely they are either diseased or the local food supply is out of whack and they are starving (not sure if this is locally or universally true, BTW).  When my parents first moved out to where they live now, we had the latter problem.  It was almost more common to see a fox than a rabbit or squirrel.  My dad ended up trapping several of them to try to bring things back into balance.  I'll warn you, it is VERY difficult to do.  The big issue is scent control.  You've got to boil EVERYTHING you use to trap them.  The trapping itself is, honestly, not very humane.  It did bring a lot of the "small game" back into the area, but also caused a woodchuck infestation.  Everything has a consequence.  Random slaughter sounds more like coyotes to me.  The good news is the solution for coyotes is night vision and an AR.  The other "good thing" is, allegedly at least, if you kill a couple, they will avoid your area. 

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
KL6ra0cO8MudS2qi120DMVUCHS6e5UHhgeEnm7eq0WdBxaYMHfKePomRqSPjNucw