1 2
noddaz
noddaz GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/2/17 5:03 p.m.

Mouse - Mice

House - Houses

Goose - Geese

Moose - Moose

There is an explanation for this (or so I am told). Mouse, house, goose and their plurals are all European/English words. Moose is indigenous to North America. So I guess technically its not an English word because there are no moose in Europe.

NGTD
NGTD UberDork
7/2/17 6:37 p.m.

How about the fact that all you folks south of me, insist on spelling neighbours, colour, and many words wrong, but since you write most of the software, it insists on correcting me. Also Lieutenant is pronounced "Leftenant" not "Lootenant".

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo GRM+ Memberand Mod Squad
7/2/17 7:18 p.m.

In reply to NGTD:

"You folks" is spelled y'all.

Trans_Maro
Trans_Maro PowerDork
7/2/17 7:39 p.m.
EastCoastMojo wrote: In reply to NGTD: "You folks" is spelled y'all.

Only if you speak American.

Since we're on the topic, a PSA for my friends south of the 49th parallel:

The proper response for "Thank-you" is "You're welcome" not some random, grunting "Uh-huh" sound.

Trans_Maro
Trans_Maro PowerDork
7/2/17 7:41 p.m.
noddaz wrote: Moose is indigenous to North America. So I guess technically its not an English word because there are no moose in Europe.

What about "Pumpkin" then? Indigenous to North America but the plural is "pumpkins".

Hal
Hal UltraDork
7/2/17 8:47 p.m.
noddaz wrote: So I guess technically its not an English word because there are no moose in Europe.

There are Moose in Europe, they just call them Elk!

Trans_Maro
Trans_Maro PowerDork
7/2/17 9:11 p.m.

There are Elk here too, they're called Elk.

SkinnyG
SkinnyG SuperDork
7/3/17 2:31 a.m.
Trans_Maro wrote: What about "Pumpkin" then?

That's easy. That's what rednecks do on Halloween.

SkinnyG
SkinnyG SuperDork
7/3/17 2:35 a.m.

Be kind to people whose first language is not English. English is a tough language - the rules are drunk.

"The problem with defending the purity of the English language is that English is about as pure as a cribhouse whore. We don’t just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat them unconscious and rifle their pockets for new vocabulary." --James D. Nicoll

noddaz
noddaz GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/4/17 1:12 p.m.
Trans_Maro wrote:

What about "Pumpkin" then? Indigenous to North America but the plural is "pumpkins".

You sir, are out of your gourd.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
XnpO77Ur8VL7xI4CG4AnlCCbNfOH9qvM8n0yHvEbPpMc9dV5vvHY4exkKWkPr3JE