Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
5/23/19 6:56 a.m.

Just got my 2012 mazda6. Has factory Bluetooth through the stereo. 

I have an iPhone se through work. 

I have successfully paired it to the mazda.

Issues: 

1. Wint bring up any of my contacts or voice dial through the car.

2. The car doesnt read out the directions from gps through the stereo unless im on Bluetooth audio source. 

What u want to do: just use the car for hands free calling/dialing with voice. Have the phone use internal speaker for nav directions. 

Can i do this? How? Im out of my league with all this, and done even k ow what to google to figure it out.

wae
wae SuperDork
5/23/19 7:40 a.m.

I don't know anything about the Apple universe, but I know that Google Maps on Android has an option buried in Settings...Navigation that asks if the directions should be played over Bluetooth.  Maybe there's a similar setting?

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
5/23/19 7:41 a.m.

Have you checked the Mazda forums? That's where I found a similar answer for my '13 135i. 

It has Bluetooth, but only for calling, I can't stream my phone to it using Bluetooth, unless I go buy some little adapter. I've been too lazy to do that for the last 1.5 years. 

Dusterbd13-michael
5/23/19 7:48 a.m.

Wae: didn't find that. Just looked. 

Z31: the mazda forums have a very poor signal to noise ratio, and google has been confusing at best. However, if theres a good forum or search string, im game!

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/23/19 8:46 a.m.

Step 1: see if there are any updates for the car's infotainment system. The dealer can probably tell you if you don't want to deal with the forums.

Step 2: check the how-to videos on Mazda's site. https://www.mazdausa.com/owners/how-to-use-my-mazda?year=2012&mc=12MZ6

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 UltimaDork
5/23/19 8:57 a.m.

Check for a video on youtube?  Seems to work for everything else. 

volvoclearinghouse
volvoclearinghouse PowerDork
5/23/19 9:15 a.m.

My Blackberry has similar problems with my 2018 Mazda3's infotainment.  I always chalked it up to Blackberry Life problems.  

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise HalfDork
5/23/19 9:16 a.m.

Have 2012 mazda last 8 years

iphones whole time

Nav always read through aux bluetooth

if i want nav sound from phone - then i turn off bluetooth 

Dusterbd13-michael
5/23/19 9:21 a.m.

In reply to mr2s2000elise :

Crap. I was hoping it was incompetent owner.

Pretty much answers the question though.

Thanks!

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/23/19 10:05 a.m.

I'm not surprised the car has to be on Bluetooth audio to play the nav instructions. That's asking for some pretty tight integration between a disposable phone and a 7 year old infotainment system, to know the difference between a nav instruction and whatever other random audio your phone is kicking out. 

But the voice dial and handsfree calling should be possible. I really only know the 201619 Mazda stuff so I can't give details.

slowride
slowride Dork
5/23/19 2:19 p.m.

I don't know if it's the same or not, but on my 2012 Mazda3 I had to add the contact through the car's stereo before the voice dialing would work. There were directions in the owner's manual that were not very logical. It was very much a pain, and now my newer iPhone won't connect to the bluetooth at all.

Tony Sestito
Tony Sestito PowerDork
8/22/20 3:59 p.m.

My 2012 Mazda 3 does hands-free calling and music streaming, but it's very limited. You have to set up the car to understand your voice commands, and it has a list of commands it accepts. Once that's done, you can program numbers to call into the car; it doesn't import contacts. Those numbers can be given names, like wife, dad, etc.

The music/audio streaming works, but it doesn't import track info anymore and if you are using more than one Bluetooth device, it degrades the audio signal. When I'm in the car with my smartwatch on, I have to shut it off or else the music sounds like something you downloaded off of Limewire in 2001 that had been ripped 3000 times before it was uploaded. It does play nav audio through the speakers, but only if you have the radio on Bluetooth Audio.

1kris06
1kris06 HalfDork
8/22/20 8:36 p.m.

With hondas you can press and hold (vs a single button press) the voice button to override the cars system and use siri to search your phone. Not sure if mazdas are the same.

Otherwise like mentioned, you may need to make speed dials or voice tags through the cars infotainment system.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
2xCgrNUepHkUKLrg8qpgQgwn7520cMX5xt5rP3HqrkZygeZXBbjSgHRywZcKFYhu