1 ... 3 4 5
Shaun
Shaun Reader
12/4/09 1:14 p.m.
NYG95GA wrote:
Shaun wrote: My Dad, Who hails from... Ireland, takes great delight in disparaging a... friend who was a Scot and they would drink wiskey and insult each other with great cheer... Why do the Scots and the Irish have the ginormously insulting repartee going on. Weren't they both screwed by the Brits?
Regretfully, my 75% Scottish blood is thinned down by 25% of English/Welsh heritage, so I often become convoluted when charged to pledge my alliances. Anything but beer.

Good stuff! Try this for convoluted: My Dad as I stated is Norther Irish, and Catholic. He said when he was growing up 9/10s of the want adds in Belfast said "Catholics need not apply". And me Mum is English Protestant. They are the happiest couple that I have ever met. They also left England for Canada and eventaully the States ASAP. It has given me a violently live and let live perspective.

spitfirebill
spitfirebill Dork
12/4/09 1:24 p.m.

I'm finding the Scots-Irish discussion enlightening. My family immigrated to the US in the late 1600s from Ireland. Many of my forebears were Methodist ministers for some reason other. I was told we were Scots-Irish, whatever that means. I have recently learned that our DNA has been traced to Denmark. So it appears we were some of the Vikings that evaded England, though I thought it was Scotland. No wonder I'm always so confused.

The funny thing about humor (a pun of sorts) is that it almost always makes fun of some group, be it blondes, Poles, Mexican, gays, wives, husbands, bosses, Catholic priests, clowns, carneys or whatever. Standup comedy would be dead.

Kendall_Jones
Kendall_Jones Reader
12/4/09 1:33 p.m.
Mark Renton Said: said: It's E36 M3E being Scottish! We're the lowest of the low. The scum of the berkeleying Earth! The most wretched, miserable, servile, pathetic trash that was ever shat into civilization. Some hate the English. I don't. They're just wankers. We, on the other hand, are COLONIZED by wankers. Can't even find a decent culture to be colonized BY. We're ruled by effete shiny happy people. It's a E36 M3E state of affairs to be in, Tommy, and ALL the fresh air in the world won't make any berkeleying difference!

FWIW, I think Scottish Whiskey is crap, but Irish whiskey is divine. A scot once told me (I'm irish), that the reason that Scottish whiskey tastes the way it does is a throw back from the brit empire. Apparently the brits taxed the hell out of whiskey so the scots dumped ash, peat, and coals into the mix to make it taste like crap (and no one would buy it & the brits lost tax $). The smoky-ness you taste today is reminder of the crap they made to stick it to the man.

Kendall

NYG95GA
NYG95GA SuperDork
12/4/09 2:21 p.m.
Shaun wrote: ...Try this for convoluted: My Dad as I stated is Norther Irish, and Catholic... me Mum is English Protestant. They are the happiest couple that I have ever met.

Never thought someone on here had the same thing going on! My BIL's parents are a "mixed" couple as well, only in reverse from yours. They are just as sweet and happy as can be. Hopefully these couples represent a microcosm of the healing that can transform the Emerald Isle into the paradise it was meant to be.

In the spirit of reciprocity, I'll withdraw my challenge to a highland duel to the death by wet noodles. Perhaps we can battle instead over a tavern table with food and drink from a neutral country, like.. uh, England.

Choose your weapon: Blood pudding, Guiness, or Wimpy burgers..

Anything but scotch.. that stuff is just plain nasty!

Appleseed
Appleseed Dork
12/4/09 8:18 p.m.

To say this thread has gone on a tangent would fail to explain much...

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker SuperDork
12/4/09 9:41 p.m.

My cat smells like cat food.

NYG95GA
NYG95GA SuperDork
12/4/09 9:42 p.m.
Appleseed wrote: To say this thread has gone on a tangent would fail to explain much.

To the casual observer, that would be true.

On this site, I've found that we often take threads WAY off subject into tangents that will not be understood by many. The great thing about it is that we always (OK, almost always) get back on topic, even if it's months later.

The fact is that this thread is not about Scots or Irish or wet noodles or broadswords or claymores. It's about a trailer's ride height, and whether it's appearance looks "gay".

This tangent into the Insular realm is only meant to segue into the real meat of the question. How could a homosexual serf be expected to hook up his donkey to such a trailer? The way I see it, it just couldn't be done.

There is no proper harness on the thing.

carzan
carzan Reader
12/4/09 9:56 p.m.

It doesn't need a harness. If the donkey has a "fitting" that can be mated to the tongue of the trailer, no harness is needed.

NYG95GA
NYG95GA SuperDork
12/4/09 10:14 p.m.

I'd love to see the design of this harness "fitting". Is it anything like a coondog wrench?

(Waits for inevitable tangent..)

Appleseed
Appleseed Dork
12/4/09 11:23 p.m.

Well, we started talking about trailers, then gay trailers, then gay as an adjective, then gay people, then Scotts vs. Irish, then tangents. Yup, normal GRM thread.

mndsm
mndsm Reader
12/4/09 11:57 p.m.

I like Irish women. They're redheads, and the accent..... oooh. Yeah.

wbjones
wbjones Reader
12/5/09 8:58 a.m.

can you imagine a first time visiter to the web site, and choosing this thread as their first read..... ?

poor berkeleyer...

Shaun
Shaun Reader
12/5/09 2:07 p.m.
NYG95GA wrote:
Shaun wrote: ...Try this for convoluted: My Dad as I stated is Norther Irish, and Catholic... me Mum is English Protestant. They are the happiest couple that I have ever met.
Never thought someone on here had the same thing going on! My BIL's parents are a "mixed" couple as well, only in reverse from yours. They are just as sweet and happy as can be. Hopefully these couples represent a microcosm of the healing that can transform the Emerald Isle into the paradise it was meant to be. In the spirit of reciprocity, I'll withdraw my challenge to a highland duel to the death by wet noodles. Perhaps we can battle instead over a tavern table with food and drink from a neutral country, like.. uh, England. Choose your weapon: Blood pudding, Guiness, or Wimpy burgers.. Anything but scotch.. that stuff is just plain *nasty*!

Just getting back to this neck of the woods..

Well I'll be! Cheers! An I must say, If it weren't for the bloody Scots Great Britain would be perfect!! Ha!

Seeing how this is America, Might I suggest white castle and coors? I was quite happy that the flareup of "real"IRA violence has been roundly criticized and condemned by everybody on all sides. Ireland is getting there and It is a success story of considerable significance.

The Thanksgiving I just spent with amongst others, GAY people sans trailers, was Scotch soaked. As it happens, some was really good and for the first time I mostly enjoyed the stuff.

Auchentoshan 21 year old- quite nice! Aberlour 12 year old- meh Hedonism grain scotch wiskey- very good!

I like my Bushmills. It has been a privately held distillery for a long time so it is OK to drink Bushmills and or Jamison at the same time with anybody. I have become quite fond of many Bourbons as well.

If you are ever in Portland for something at PIR- ping me! I'll buy you a couple or four rounds here: http://www.kellsirish.com/portland/index.php

914Driver
914Driver SuperDork
12/5/09 4:22 p.m.

I thought the Brits called Thanksgiving Independence Day.

NYG95GA
NYG95GA SuperDork
12/5/09 7:15 p.m.
Shaun wrote: ...If it weren't for the bloody Scots Great Britain would be perfect!! .

"The problem with Scotland is that it is entirely peopled by Scots... If we can't run them out.. we'll breed them out!"

~Longshanks

1 ... 3 4 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
fZow2FeNHj6SxfQ3qhpZ4wKXQoNPnhc6qssNUCa5aoitNHHq82HQCFvtaZCo3VRM