1 2
Anti-stance
Anti-stance Dork
8/24/12 4:18 p.m.
Xceler8x wrote: Brother, if you don't think the military isn't prepared to defend the status quo from an internal civil uprising....you must think the military isn't doing the job it's hired to do. I'm not saying it's going to happen. I'm saying they'll be prepared if it does. I'm not a truther, 9/11 conspiracy theorist, or any of that. I do know the military pays people smarter than I to sit around and think "What if..." They take those ideas and draw up plans. There is one for civil war being fought by citizens. Bet on it.

There are scenarios FOR EVERYTHING. There is probably even a scenario for Canada attacking us.

poopshovel
poopshovel UltimaDork
8/24/12 4:25 p.m.
GameboyRMH wrote:
poopshovel wrote:
GameboyRMH wrote:
poopshovel wrote: Tin foil hatty, yes. Worthy of detainment for psychological evaluation? I sure as E36 M3 don't think so. If that's the worst that he said, I am scared. He didn't threaten anyone.
He did make a few threats, most were vaguely at the US government, one was at his generals but it was a quote from a song.
Link?
Here's a super-long image of his facebook posts: https://www.networkworld.com/community/files/user13712/Raub_-_www_facebook_com_brandon_raub_sk_wall.gif Relevant quote:
Brandon Raub said: This is the part where I tell the Federal Government to go berkeley itself. This is the part where I tell Generals, training our young men to fight Americans, I am coming for you. The Veterans will be with me.
About 1/2 way down.

I doubt that's enough to arrest...err..."detain" somebody, but yeah, definitely cause for concern. Reading all the facebook stuff, the guy definitely seems "unstable" at best. His family needs to take care of his ass before he goes off the deep end. I feel bad for the guy and his family.

Related: It's terrifying how many of these KIDS are coming back from Iraq and Trashcanistan with severe psychological problems that will likely haunt them for the rest of their lives. Democrat, Republican, Libertarian, whatever. It is a reality, and we ought not ignore it, and maybe be a little less "gung-ho" about playing Team America World Police. Definitely not trying to flounder, but man, it's easy to go "YEAH! LET'S BOMB THOSE berkeleyERS!" When you're sitting on your couch watching it on TV with no skin in the game. I've seen a lot of young kids - friends and family - come back F*CKED_UP and angrier than you can imagine.

(/ramble)

Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon MegaDork
8/24/12 4:32 p.m.
Anti-stance wrote:
Xceler8x wrote: Brother, if you don't think the military isn't prepared to defend the status quo from an internal civil uprising....you must think the military isn't doing the job it's hired to do. I'm not saying it's going to happen. I'm saying they'll be prepared if it does. I'm not a truther, 9/11 conspiracy theorist, or any of that. I do know the military pays people smarter than I to sit around and think "What if..." They take those ideas and draw up plans. There is one for civil war being fought by citizens. Bet on it.
There are scenarios FOR EVERYTHING. There is probably even a scenario for Canada attacking us.

Of course there is. There's a precedent for that.

Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon MegaDork
8/24/12 4:59 p.m.
poopshovel wrote: I doubt that's enough to arrest...err..."detain" somebody, but yeah, definitely cause for concern. Reading all the facebook stuff, the guy definitely seems "unstable" at best. His family needs to take care of his ass before he goes off the deep end. I feel bad for the guy and his family.

I bet his family actually are the ones who got the ball rolling on this one. It seems very unlikely that a FBI agent would be trolling Facebook, fix on this one guy out of all the nutjobs out there, and say 'let's bring this guy in'.

poopshovel wrote: Related: It's terrifying how many of these KIDS are coming back from Iraq and Trashcanistan with severe psychological problems that will likely haunt them for the rest of their lives. Democrat, Republican, Libertarian, whatever. It is a reality, and we ought not ignore it, and maybe be a little less "gung-ho" about playing Team America World Police. Definitely not trying to flounder, but man, it's easy to go "YEAH! LET'S BOMB THOSE berkeleyERS!" When you're sitting on your couch watching it on TV with no skin in the game. I've seen a lot of young kids - friends and family - come back F*CKED_UP and angrier than you can imagine. (/ramble)

My neighbor in Chuck had two daughters, the older one came back from Iraq just (in his words) 'madder than hell'. He finally had to throw her out of the house, told her she could not come back till she got her stuff together. That had to be a really hard thing to do.

It's not just Iraq; people came back from (insert war here) and were forever changed, not necessarily for the better. There's all kinds of stories out there about people going off the deep end for as far back as we can see. That doesn't make it right; sadly, it means the present conflicts are a continuation of a terrible effect.

poopshovel
poopshovel UltimaDork
8/24/12 9:47 p.m.
Curmudgeon wrote:
poopshovel wrote: I doubt that's enough to arrest...err..."detain" somebody, but yeah, definitely cause for concern. Reading all the facebook stuff, the guy definitely seems "unstable" at best. His family needs to take care of his ass before he goes off the deep end. I feel bad for the guy and his family.
I bet his family actually are the ones who got the ball rolling on this one. It seems very unlikely that a FBI agent would be trolling Facebook, fix on this one guy out of all the nutjobs out there, and say 'let's bring this guy in'.
poopshovel wrote: Related: It's terrifying how many of these KIDS are coming back from Iraq and Trashcanistan with severe psychological problems that will likely haunt them for the rest of their lives. Democrat, Republican, Libertarian, whatever. It is a reality, and we ought not ignore it, and maybe be a little less "gung-ho" about playing Team America World Police. Definitely not trying to flounder, but man, it's easy to go "YEAH! LET'S BOMB THOSE berkeleyERS!" When you're sitting on your couch watching it on TV with no skin in the game. I've seen a lot of young kids - friends and family - come back F*CKED_UP and angrier than you can imagine. (/ramble)
My neighbor in Chuck had two daughters, the older one came back from Iraq just (in his words) 'madder than hell'. He finally had to throw her out of the house, told her she could not come back till she got her stuff together. That had to be a really hard thing to do. It's not just Iraq; people came back from (insert war here) and were forever changed, not necessarily for the better. There's all kinds of stories out there about people going off the deep end for as far back as we can see. That doesn't make it right; sadly, it means the present conflicts are a continuation of a terrible effect.

Seems weird for the F to get involved though. I dunno. And yeah, I know for sure there were a lot of folks coming back from nam (korea, WWII, WWI, WAR) all berkeleyed up too, but as an adult, this is my first time seeing it up close.

yamaha
yamaha HalfDork
8/24/12 11:30 p.m.

In reply to Curmudgeon:

The people who we send off to war never really come back.......sure, they look similar, but personality wise, they are rarely the same. 2 of my cousins came back kinda messed up. There are definitely non-discussion topics, and if anything uncomfortable comes up....we drop the subject. The thing one couldn't get over was having kids throw rocks at his convoy and friends being killed in ambush/IED blasts.....he never could come to grips with that stuff. It is life changing, anyone who tells you differently is either a fool or a liar.

Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon MegaDork
8/25/12 7:06 a.m.

My dad was in the Navy right at the end of WWII, he never saw action. I had two uncles who were there in infantry in the European theatre, one was in the Battle of the Bulge. Neither of them ever talked about it other than to acknowledge they were there, one went on to Korea and he didn't discuss that either. The stories from Vietnam are well documented.

T.J.
T.J. PowerDork
8/25/12 7:28 a.m.
Otto Maddox wrote: Did anybody start to think the Fed was an evil institution before Ron Paul came around? That is really a bunch of nonsense.
N Sperlo wrote: In reply to Giant Purple Snorklewacker: LMAO. People seriously have no clue how the federal reserve works.

Ron Paul did not make the Fed evil. The Fed made the Fed evil.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
YqH2Ae9bI7wSHsB9CaHhJBkYXPFaO2eNoUpCTqKH9mTLk173LkbgOqpDEx6lXNbC