rebelgtp
rebelgtp Dork
6/10/09 12:13 p.m.

Hey guys with starting the project car finally and setting my garage up I am realizing that I'm in need of a new compressor. I figure now is a good time to look with fathers day coming up there are some good tool sales going right now.

Anyway I'd like to be able to drive some tools and get a spray gun so I can paint the Olds when the time comes. What size tank, psi and hp level should I be looking at?

Also is there a preferred tank style that is "better" at all? I would prefer something I could move around a bit if I need to.

914Driver
914Driver SuperDork
6/10/09 12:41 p.m.

Do you have 220 in your ManCave?

oldtin
oldtin New Reader
6/10/09 12:42 p.m.

Pretty much takes 5hp or better to hope to stay with some air tools - esp. a DAs, die grinders. If it's an option, go for a 2-stage pump over the single stage stuff. At the home garage I've got a craftsman 5hp w/20 (or 30 I forget) gal verticle tank. It's got wheels, but I don't move it. It's loud and can't keep up with most tools (you can make do) - but actually does ok for spraying. On the do-over - 2-stage 6-7hp and 60-80 gal tank. Win the lottery - rotary compressor.

ManofFewWords
ManofFewWords Reader
6/10/09 12:47 p.m.

IMO, in this case bigger is better. Unless you need to move it, you'll never wish you had bought a smaller compressor.

Cotton
Cotton Reader
6/10/09 12:51 p.m.

I have an 80 gallon 2 stage Ingersall-Rand with the 5HP motor. I love it when I'm sandblasting and the compressor actually kicks off! I've painted cars, lots of DA sanding, blasting, etc with this compressor and am real happy with it. I kept my old 30 gallon craftsman anround for about a year after I got the IR and it just sit in the corner and collected dust, so I traded it for some other tools. For portability I have a very small compressor I got at HF and I just use it for airing up tires and little things like that.

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess SuperDork
6/10/09 12:53 p.m.

I have a 4 horse 220v Craftsman that is the same as a 5 or 6 "horse" sold today. Apparently horses got smaller over the years. I've done a few cars and bikes with mine. Big air users like bead blasting, DAs or die grinders tend to run it down, but let it build and take it easy and it works. For most of what you need, it's fine.

abumason
abumason New Reader
6/10/09 12:55 p.m.

I've got a red Craftsman vertical one in the garage. 30gal I believe, not sure of the hp. I've had it for 8 years now and have been really satisfied for what I use it for.

Like mentioned above - it is LOUD, and I had to plug it into a power strip to stop from tripping my breaker when the compressor comes on. Walking down to the basement to reset the breaker gets old fast.

I've used it to restomod a '76 Bronco (not quite a frame off job, but pretty darn close), install hardwood floors with a rented nailer, paint two cars, install 3 suspension lifts for friends, run a brad nailer for finish carpentry work, and a roofing job.

It came with some tools, but the impact gun was crap, and I got a kit from Nothern Tool that has also held up well to DIY use.

It cost around $300 and I bought it during a Father's Day sale.

914Driver
914Driver SuperDork
6/10/09 1:01 p.m.

I had a 3.5hp, 25 gallon from Sears; buzzy, noisy and gets very hot. When the diaphram went, that is the ONLY part that cannot be purchased aftermarket.

I bought a Kobalt 80 gallon, dunno how many hp, from Lowes. I'm very happy but it requires 220.

Look at Harbor Freight too.

Dan

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
6/10/09 1:17 p.m.

Get a vertical tank for the smaller footprint.

Kramer
Kramer Reader
6/10/09 1:38 p.m.

For spraying, you'll probably want a 60 gallon. Get an upright and bolt it to the floor.

I have a 30 gallon upright, and it won't stay up with my paint gun on big projects.

DILYSI Dave
DILYSI Dave SuperDork
6/10/09 1:40 p.m.

I have this one - http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10051&langId=-1&catalogId=10053&productId=100083906. I think it was under $400 ($379 on sale IIRC) when I bought it. It has served me well.

I ran a 30 amp circuit that cost another $50 or so.

Tommy Suddard
Tommy Suddard GRM+ Memberand SonDork
6/10/09 1:45 p.m.
914Driver wrote: I bought a Kobalt 80 gallon, dunno how many hp, from Lowes. I'm very happy but it requires 220. Dan

We have the same compressor. Very nice.

slowcamaro
slowcamaro New Reader
6/10/09 1:50 p.m.

Check sears online reviews before buying a new craftsman compressor, apparently quality has went to E36 M3 as with there floor jacks...

porksboy
porksboy Dork
6/10/09 2:21 p.m.
DILYSI Dave wrote: I have this one - http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10051&langId=-1&catalogId=10053&productId=100083906. I think it was under $400 ($379 on sale IIRC) when I bought it. It has served me well. I ran a 30 amp circuit that cost another $50 or so.

What guage wire did you run for that circuit? I put some leftover 10 guage in the wall of my garage before I put the wall board up, just havent put a breaker or plug in yet as I dont need the 220v -yet. How loud is that compressor?

Keith
Keith GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
6/10/09 2:32 p.m.

I used to have the typical little 20 or 26 gallon home compressor on wheels, upright tank. C-H, I think. Worked well enough, although the oilless compressors do make a racket.

Now I'm running a big 5 horse, 60 gallon setup at home. It's the same one we have at work, Porter-Cable I think. As ManofFewWords said, you'll never wish you had a smaller one This guy will happily keep up with my HVLP guns and the bead blaster. Heck, it'll outrun the spray gun. The oiled compressor is quiet, and bolting it to the floor makes it even quieter. Most people just leave them on the shipping pallet.

One other thing I did with the big one at home was run lines around the garage and put hose reels by the door and above my usual work place. Makes it easy to get air whenever, wherever you need it and keeps you from constantly driving over the hose. Keeps the hoses cleaner, too! Ideally, I should have run hard lines through the garage but I just used rubber lines from H-F and fixed them to the ceiling/walls with conduit clamps.

If you're thinking about enough airflow for grinding, an alternative is to go electric for those tools.

You can usually find compressors at pawn shops. Pop the pump off so you can inspect inside for rust, but it's a great way to rebuild one. I took a siezed pump off a tank that was given to me and replaced it with a H-F unit for a real budget setup that can move a lot of air.

MedicineMan
MedicineMan New Reader
6/10/09 2:51 p.m.

How good are your fabrication skills? I built mine...it an old craftsman head (twin cylinder) with a tsc 5 horse 3450 220v motor, and used an old 25 gallon tank. It does really well...and I only have about $140 in the whole thing! If you can fabricate and weld decent I say go for this...get more bang for the buck...

Just my .02

rebelgtp
rebelgtp Dork
6/10/09 3:00 p.m.

Hmm well this shop does not have 220 sadly, though the shop at my other place does have 220. I may just go for one of the small roll around ones now and get a big one to bolt down later once I get into the other house (couple years more than likely).

How are the compressors from HF? Noticed that they had some with more hp and bigger tanks than for about the same price as the little 1hp Craftsman ones. Local I only have a small Sears tool and appliance store and the farm supply for my options for things like this.

My biggest want is to be able to spray the car at this point, I have electric grinders and the like I can use for now.

My grandpa is going to talk to his neighbor about his tools as well (the guy that gave me the body work hammers and anvils) and see if he wants to sell any of them to me. He was just diagnosed with some cancer in his brain or something so its not looking good, he doesn't have any kids of his own. He also has always liked me and I would go over and help him with stuff at his house.

DILYSI Dave
DILYSI Dave SuperDork
6/10/09 5:02 p.m.
porksboy wrote:
DILYSI Dave wrote: I have this one - http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10051&langId=-1&catalogId=10053&productId=100083906. I think it was under $400 ($379 on sale IIRC) when I bought it. It has served me well. I ran a 30 amp circuit that cost another $50 or so.
What guage wire did you run for that circuit? I put some leftover 10 guage in the wall of my garage before I put the wall board up, just havent put a breaker or plug in yet as I dont need the 220v -yet. How loud is that compressor?

I don't recall the gauge. I used whatever the wiring chart said I needed for a 30A circuit.

It's not too loud. Mildly irritating when I'm in the same room, but it can barely be heard upstairs.

DILYSI Dave
DILYSI Dave SuperDork
6/10/09 5:03 p.m.
rebelgtp wrote: Hmm well this shop does not have 220 sadly

Yes it does. 220 is what enters the breaker box.

jpod999
jpod999 Reader
6/10/09 7:09 p.m.

Don't go to the Chinese Embassy AKA Harbor Freight. One just crapped out on a friend of mine.

rebelgtp
rebelgtp Dork
6/10/09 7:20 p.m.
DILYSI Dave wrote:

Okay well I should say it does not have a wired 220 outlet.

DILYSI Dave
DILYSI Dave SuperDork
6/10/09 9:59 p.m.
rebelgtp wrote:
DILYSI Dave wrote:
Okay well I should say it does not have a wired 220 outlet.

$50 later and 30 minutes reading the proper chapter in "Wiring 1-2-3" and it will. I'm an electrical idiot and I wired in a 220V / 30A circuit for the compressor and a 220V / 50A circuit for the welder. If it makes you feel better, run the wire yourself (the labor intensive / expensive part) and have an electrician hook up the plug and the breaker.

benzbaron
benzbaron Reader
6/10/09 10:28 p.m.

Good topic, i'm about ready to get a real compressor myself. I'm going to look into getting some 220V power to work with, I'll have to check out the electrical book.

rebelgtp
rebelgtp Dork
6/10/09 11:58 p.m.

I will have to take a look at what it will take to set it up. Also though this place is fairly old and some of the wiring is questionable. I think this time around though I will be going with one of the smaller units and I'll get a bigger one once I move into my other house.

On a side note the plans for the Cutlass are coming along. In fact got designs written up from everything from a total sleeper to an all out custom beast along the lines of "Eleanor", that one is actually kinda interesting.

Jake
Jake HalfDork
6/12/09 3:12 p.m.

In reply to rebelgtp:

This thread reminded me that I needed to order a new regulator for my Craftsman, so I did that this morning. Thanks!

That said, I have really enjoyed having said compressor, it's pretty quiet when running, does everything I need, and I can move it if I have to. It's the horizontal tank 1.8/2.0hp 25 gallon one, semi-portable (has wheels, anyway, but I still don't like lugging it uphill if I need to use it on the other end of the house), goes for about $400, but regularly goes on sale. I went that way because I hadn't done the carport close-in project that I was planning, and I didn't have a home for a permanent/fixed one. It was the biggest "portable" one I could find in terms of air flow, as a bonus it works on 110, but can be wired for 220. That said- if you're shopping for something to paint with, be sure and look around at air consumption- paint sprayers take quite a bit of air. You can cheat on stuff like impact guns, etc., but you won't get good results if you don't push enough air to a paint gun.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
NrzeThg3LRneySLQYZXQmvqybIoqrvHIcRwRWaixpmdQaxEJjcTqGOmGp8A5ZssB