1 ... 1093 1094 1095 1096 1097 ... 1732
slefain
slefain UltimaDork
11/18/22 12:03 p.m.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/18/22 12:04 p.m.
914Driver said:

OK, I am impressed with that pole. That was a big hit from a 4 ton truck obviously moving pretty quickly. But aren't they designed to break away?

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 MegaDork
11/18/22 12:46 p.m.
Keith Tanner said:

OK, I am impressed with that pole. That was a big hit from a 4 ton truck obviously moving pretty quickly. But aren't they designed to break away?

In the name of accuracy, I would suggest that the truck is closer to 3 tons.  On a recent trip to the recycler, my son's truck (Dodge 1500 4 x 4 quad cab) tipped the scales at 5560 lbs.

Doesn't change the fact that that is one beefy pole.

https://external-content.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=https%3A%2F%2Fi.imgflip.com%2F114i9p.jpg&f=1&nofb=1&ipt=96b89779b21bc06dcda5624705b17c6f14f15e5b77ddedc8d001c4ae3c90bbdf&ipo=images

NickD
NickD MegaDork
11/18/22 1:00 p.m.

NickD
NickD MegaDork
11/18/22 1:27 p.m.

Toyman!
Toyman! GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/18/22 1:35 p.m.

In reply to Keith Tanner :

No, they are designed to hold up traffic lights and keep them from falling into traffic when a Dodge Rams them. 

Hold Me James - Imgflip

Duke
Duke MegaDork
11/18/22 1:45 p.m.

In reply to Keith Tanner :

The single-head light poles you see along the highway are designed to break away under impact.

That thing is carrying a big intersection's worth of traffic lights.  That long arm  you see overhead is probably cantilevered off of it.  That ain't breaking away, and if it does, you've got big problems for more than just the RAM driver.

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
11/18/22 1:46 p.m.

My neighbor used to install those big generator fans, NO BERKIN' WAY!!  There just ain't enough money to get me up there.

Keith Tanner
11/18/22 2:00 p.m.
1988RedT2 said:
Keith Tanner said:

In the name of accuracy, I would suggest that the truck is closer to 3 tons.  On a recent trip to the recycler, my son's truck (Dodge 1500 4 x 4 quad cab) tipped the scales at 5560 lbs.

Doesn't change the fact that that is one beefy pole.

https://external-content.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=https%3A%2F%2Fi.imgflip.com%2F114i9p.jpg&f=1&nofb=1&ipt=96b89779b21bc06dcda5624705b17c6f14f15e5b77ddedc8d001c4ae3c90bbdf&ipo=images

I have a 2010 4WD 2500 crew cab with a Cummins, which looks a whole lot like what's left of that brodozer. 7700 lbs curb weight. Can't tell it's a Cummins for sure, but I'm thinking that's what's on the door.

Makes sense the big poles don't break off, just the street sign ones. It's a change we've seen around here, you can't just plant them anymore.

mtn
mtn MegaDork
11/18/22 2:08 p.m.

In reply to 914Driver :

I saw a bunch of those blades being delivered on a cargo ship. It is shocking how huge they are. 

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
11/18/22 3:18 p.m.

eastsideTim
eastsideTim UltimaDork
11/18/22 4:19 p.m.

eastsideTim
eastsideTim UltimaDork
11/18/22 4:20 p.m.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/18/22 4:29 p.m.
slefain said:

Elon has been given way too much benefit of the doubt and I'm starting to think he's one of those bosses who would instantly run a business into the ground if left to his own devices.

eastsideTim
eastsideTim UltimaDork
11/18/22 4:30 p.m.

In reply to GameboyRMH :

If it was almost anyone other than Musk, I'd assume they are intentionally trying to run it into the ground.  He's deranged enough to think he knows what he is doing.

Edit:  SpaceX is not run directly by him, which may explain why they can attract and retain top talent.

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
11/18/22 4:53 p.m.

In reply to mtn :

I see them once in a while headed north on a flat bed, usually a flat bed and a 6 wheeled dolly some distance back.  They must really slow traffic winding around those roads in the Adirondacks.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/18/22 5:07 p.m.
eastsideTim said:

Edit:  SpaceX is not run directly by him, which may explain why they can attract and retain top talent.

I've heard that a major factor in talent staying at SpaceX is that there aren't that many other places for rocket scientists to work...and that Elon's experience with pushing SpaceX employees around made him think he could do the same at Twitter.

RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
11/18/22 5:22 p.m.
eastsideTim said:

In reply to GameboyRMH :

If it was almost anyone other than Musk, I'd assume they are intentionally trying to run it into the ground.  He's deranged enough to think he knows what he is doing.

I dunno, maybe he's just having fun. I distinctly remember talking about him just buying it and pushing the off button when rumors of the purchase came around. I think he's just having fun doing just that. The world will be a better place without Twitter.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/18/22 5:32 p.m.
GameboyRMH said:
eastsideTim said:

I've heard that a major factor in talent staying at SpaceX is that there aren't that many other places for rocket scientists to work...and that Elon's experience with pushing SpaceX employees around made him think he could do the same at Twitter.

Announcing that you are going to eliminate 3/4 of the staff of a company that can easily be replaced by a next big thing sounds like an intentional nosedive to me.

Keith Tanner
11/18/22 5:40 p.m.
GameboyRMH said:
eastsideTim said:

There aren't many other places to do the same cool space stuff as there is at SpaceX. Wanna build stuff as fast as possible that's two generations ahead of the rest of the industry? You work for SpaceX. You don't work for Boeing or ULA or LockMart. It's like a lot of startups, you work hard because you are seeing stuff happen and you're actually involved in making it happen. There's a lot of job satisfaction in that.

Want to babysit a bunch of servers? Well, you can do that anywhere.

Elon needs to go back to SpaceX where he can do the greatest amount of good and stop screwing around with trying to fix society, because society will actively resist being fixed and you will never win.

eastsideTim
eastsideTim UltimaDork
11/18/22 5:45 p.m.

In reply to Pete. (l33t FS) :

Maybe.  But, I'd think even if it was only a little over 10% of his net worth (not including the stake he already had) that was getting burned down, he'd try to keep it as a viable business.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/18/22 7:09 p.m.

In reply to eastsideTim :

Sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice.

- OR -

Power tools allow you to do irreparable damage, faster.  Money is a power tool...

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa UltimaDork
11/18/22 7:38 p.m.
Keith Tanner said:

There aren't many other places to do the same cool space stuff as there is at SpaceX. Wanna build stuff as fast as possible that's two generations ahead of the rest of the industry? You work for SpaceX. You don't work for Boeing or ULA or LockMart. It's like a lot of startups, you work hard because you are seeing stuff happen and you're actually involved in making it happen. There's a lot of job satisfaction in that.

Ehhhh...
There are a decent amount of places that are actively working to take SpaceX's spot as top dog, doing more interesting stuff than they are as well (if you ask me, at least.)  They just aren't there yet and once a company is ensconced in the government's pay structure its hard to dig them out so it'll take a while for there to be any visible competition for SpaceX

Recon1342
Recon1342 SuperDork
11/18/22 7:50 p.m.

MEMES!!!!

Ian F (Forum Supporter)
Ian F (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
11/18/22 7:51 p.m.

1 ... 1093 1094 1095 1096 1097 ... 1732

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ntPOkkVSmp6suCllFuZJaDrKVElAqj1vnj3aA6GDn90TYdeCOVwuqNnmqyRJZH19