1 ... 1094 1095 1096 1097 1098 ... 1735
Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/18/22 8:48 p.m.

In reply to Mr_Asa :

Build the world's most powerful rocket using the first full flow engine to ever fly? Figure out how to mass produce engines at the rate of one a day? Work on second stage reuse when nobody else has even managed first stage yet? Work in a hardware rich testing company where stuff gets built instead of simulated? Sure, there are some cool projects at places like Relativity but nothing that's going to revolutionize the industry. It's hard to get more interesting than that.

SpaceX doesn't just suckle at the government teat. It's taken over the commercial and scientific launch business because it launches more often, more reliably and for less money than anyone else. And that's with the rocket they consider to be obsolete. 

(Could not find a good meme for Pythom Space, they're a joke on their own)

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
11/18/22 9:12 p.m.

In reply to Keith Tanner :

I know some people who worked for SpaceX. They have all said it was a terrible experience but great for the resume. They now work for NASA.

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/18/22 9:21 p.m.
Recon1342 said:

MEMES!!!!

Kind of makes you wonder why the AF requires higher ASVAD score and is generally much harder to get into than say the MC.  Maybe because they want intelligence?  Love my MC brothers from a breakfast omlet made to order Airman.

volvoclearinghouse
volvoclearinghouse UltimaDork
11/18/22 9:25 p.m.
mtn said:

In reply to 914Driver :

I saw a bunch of those blades being delivered on a cargo ship. It is shocking how huge they are. 

Last year we drove past a pile of busted up blades from those turbines, stacked somewhere in the southern tier if NY along highway 17. They're huge, they have a finite life, they apparently damage somewhat easily, and I don't believe they're made of anything recyclable. 

Not to mention, they are ugly as sin, dotted along the landscape. 

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
11/18/22 9:29 p.m.

*cough* Scalded Composites *cough*

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
11/18/22 9:30 p.m.

Steve_Jones
Steve_Jones SuperDork
11/18/22 9:47 p.m.
93EXCivic said:

I know some people who worked for SpaceX. They have all said it was a terrible experience but great for the resume. They now work for NASA.

I know 4 people that went the other way, go figure. They will tell you NASA is horrible, but SpaceX is great. 

David Elfering
David Elfering GRM+ Memberand Reader
11/18/22 10:37 p.m.

Floating Doc (Forum Supporter)
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
11/18/22 11:10 p.m.
Appleseed said:

I am reminded of the time my WWII veteran dad leaped to his feet and raced out the front door in time to see several T-6 Texans go booming over the house just above the tree tops. 
He was nearly deaf by then, and about 84 years old. He was out the door in a flash, before I even heard them coming. 

This is him during a tour of a liberty ship about ten years earlier.

Toyman!
Toyman! GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/19/22 7:59 a.m.
Steve_Jones said:
93EXCivic said:

I know 4 people that went the other way, go figure. They will tell you NASA is horrible, but SpaceX is great. 

That's the difference between someone who actually wants to build exciting things and a government drudge trying to make retirement while doing as little as possible. 

Duke
Duke MegaDork
11/19/22 9:09 a.m.

gearheadmb
gearheadmb UltraDork
11/19/22 9:59 a.m.

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
11/19/22 10:22 a.m.
Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
11/19/22 11:14 a.m.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
11/19/22 11:15 a.m.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
11/19/22 12:18 p.m.

DarkMonohue
DarkMonohue GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
11/19/22 12:44 p.m.
eastsideTim said:

Impossibly timely. We just got word that "they" (owner of a construction project we are doing design work on) "are planning for a round of DiSC training in Q1 of next year." This was followed by a survey asking for our permission to share our DiSC assessments (personality profiles) with the owner (city) in question, the general contractor, the architect, and likely the rest of the design team, and whether we'd be interested in a full day out of town and overnight stay to participate in a "DiSC teaming session".

Sure. Maybe I can provide a retina scan, DNA sample, and a little bone marrow while we're at it.

This is a project that is budgeted at an even 100 million dollars. We're already at 150 million because they're packing in every feel-good bleeding-edge feature they think might improve their image as ecologically mindful, socially  conscious early adopters.

Meme slightly related.

SkinnyG (Forum Supporter)
SkinnyG (Forum Supporter) PowerDork
11/19/22 12:59 p.m.
DarkMonohue said:

Are you pointing at me?

(I studied Myers-Briggs to find the theoretically ideal compliment to my INTJ, thus better hedging my bets.  I even had the then Miss "SoonToBeMrsSkinny" complete the test to confirm my secret analysis that she was, in fact, the complimentary temperament type.)

ShawnG
ShawnG MegaDork
11/19/22 1:28 p.m.
Appleseed said:

*cough* Scalded Composites *cough*

Yes.

Don't forget building asymmetric aircraft in order to make them fly straight.

mtn
mtn MegaDork
11/19/22 1:36 p.m.

mtn
mtn MegaDork
11/19/22 1:37 p.m.

mtn
mtn MegaDork
11/19/22 1:37 p.m.

mtn
mtn MegaDork
11/19/22 1:38 p.m.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
11/19/22 3:52 p.m.
Toyman! said:
Steve_Jones said:
93EXCivic said:

That's the difference between someone who actually wants to build exciting things and a government drudge trying to make retirement while doing as little as possible. 

What a load of horseE36 M3

Recon1342
Recon1342 SuperDork
11/19/22 4:40 p.m.

1 ... 1094 1095 1096 1097 1098 ... 1735

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Cnx44ObeTKwiJ6wco3nATcGw2tzNxnXN6FHX6c7tzxlwsgpZHT8fJwr6k94E2aXH