1 ... 1138 1139 1140 1141 1142 ... 1745
Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/6/23 11:53 a.m.
Mr_Asa said:

There's one point during descent to the surface where Aldrin and Armstrong are trading gum for maps, if memory serves. Also this, right after LEM separation:

100:37:31 Collins I think you've got a fine looking flying machine there, Eagle, despite the fact you're upside down.
100:37:37 Armstrong Somebody's upside-down.

For those of you who like to listen to podcasts, etc, try listening to the audio from the moon missions. 
https://apolloinrealtime.org/11/

I know it's not a meme, but the link has pictures and text so I think it counts. BTW, the oatmeal bit is at 053:56:39.

Keith Tanner
1/6/23 12:03 p.m.

Dictionaries don't define the language, they document it. "Literally" was so badly misused that it literally lost its meaning. That doesn't mean it's correct to use it that way from a linguistic standpoint - certainly not if you want clarity of communication - but since it's used in place of, say, "virtually" the dictionaries have to reflect that.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
1/6/23 12:43 p.m.
Keith Tanner said:

Dictionaries don't define the language, they document it. "Literally" was so badly misused that it literally lost its meaning. That doesn't mean it's correct to use it that way from a linguistic standpoint - certainly not if you want clarity of communication - but since it's used in place of, say, "virtually" the dictionaries have to reflect that.

Its no longer incorrect either though.  Dictionaries don't define the language - nothing except common accepted usage does.  Dictionaries usually attempt to document the common accepted usage. 

A style guide or similar in the context of certain industries/businesses/etc can define language, but we aren't talking about those cases.

As backward as one usage of "bimonthly" is, its no longer an incorrect usage in most cases.

English is dumb.

Karacticus
Karacticus GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/6/23 12:49 p.m.

But are we all on board that when "break" becomes an acceptable spelling for "brake" we should all just curl up in a hole and die?

matthewmcl
matthewmcl Dork
1/6/23 12:53 p.m.
Karacticus said:

But are we all on board that when "break" becomes an acceptable spelling for "brake" we should all just curl up in a hole and die?

Absolutely 

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
1/6/23 12:53 p.m.
Karacticus said:

I think torches and pitchforks would be called for in either Springfield, MA, or Oxford, UK.

Image tagged in dictionary,memes,funny,funny memes,words,sticks and stones  - Imgflip

Keith Tanner
1/6/23 1:18 p.m.
ProDarwin said:
Keith Tanner said:

Its no longer incorrect either though.  Dictionaries don't define the language - nothing except common accepted usage does.  Dictionaries usually attempt to document the common accepted usage. 

A style guide or similar in the context of certain industries/businesses/etc can define language, but we aren't talking about those cases.

As backward as one usage of "bimonthly" is, its no longer an incorrect usage in most cases.

English is dumb.

I think I said that dictionaries don't define the language - but if you want clarity in communication, sometimes you have to use an established and formal version instead of a lazy exaggeration. That's why the dictionary does distinguish between formal and informal uses. 

Flammable and inflammable is another fun one - not because of informal usage, but due to the actual Latin roots of English being confusing in the first place.

English is at least three different languages wearing a trench coat :)

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
1/6/23 2:49 p.m.
Karacticus said:

No, that means lowball the E36 M3 out of the idiot because they don't know they have a (insert desirable sub-model) just an old car with bad brakes.

lateapexer
lateapexer Reader
1/6/23 3:00 p.m.

I will be satisfied when I see the word less used fewer times.

bearmtnmartin (Forum Supporter)
bearmtnmartin (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
1/6/23 3:18 p.m.
lateapexer said:

Fewer times or, more few timesdevil

Toyman!
Toyman! GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/6/23 3:27 p.m.
Karacticus said:

This one bothers me less than most. You can tell what is meant by context. 

CONTEXT | Furries | Know Your Meme

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa UltimaDork
1/6/23 3:50 p.m.
lateapexer said:

Lifes to short too care about those things.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
1/6/23 4:00 p.m.

RX Reven'
RX Reven' GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
1/6/23 4:28 p.m.
bearmtnmartin (Forum Supporter) said:
lateapexer said:

Fewer times or, more few timesdevil

...and here I am wanting the word fewer used less times.

GIRTHQUAKE
GIRTHQUAKE SuperDork
1/6/23 5:03 p.m.

Karacticus
1/6/23 6:31 p.m.
GIRTHQUAKE said:

While I think it's obvious which one of those is the better pry-bar, I'm less sure which would be the better hammer. 

Ian F (Forum Supporter)
Ian F (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
1/6/23 6:56 p.m.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
1/6/23 7:02 p.m.

In reply to GIRTHQUAKE :

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
1/6/23 7:03 p.m.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
1/6/23 7:03 p.m.

Steve_Jones
Steve_Jones SuperDork
1/6/23 7:16 p.m.

Too soon? I mean he is talking and seems to be in recovery. 

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/6/23 7:20 p.m.

In reply to Steve_Jones :

I started scrolling down and said nope not too soon.

Karacticus
1/6/23 8:23 p.m.

In reply to Appleseed :

Corn back rattler. That's a new one on me. 

TIL

RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
1/6/23 8:24 p.m.

BlindPirate
BlindPirate Reader
1/6/23 9:03 p.m.
Appleseed said:
Karacticus said:

No, that means lowball the E36 M3 out of the idiot because they don't know they have a (insert desirable sub-model) just an old car with bad brakes.

So this is funny and I don't want to be that guy to ruin everybody's fun, but utility guys have to open stuff all the time that can have bees/ wasps in it and have spray to neutralize the threat. Usually they would be inside that cabinet if it had any kind of gap or hole. 

1 ... 1138 1139 1140 1141 1142 ... 1745

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
RWth2Yt40sDK9GFRDbsZTfEIMSgzdQ4YtJi4WZwgqepv7RYLRyFhN7zCw8pjesYR