12/20/23 11:23 a.m.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/20/23 12:55 p.m.
NickD said:
Beer Baron said:
GameboyRMH said:

Ran across some Dennis Nedry memes:

That is LITERALLY the point of the story. Hammond is an shiny happy person con artist who berkeleys over his workers.

It's more obvious in the book but...

Hammond underreported the scope of work he needed done at the parkl Nedry bid the lowest. After Nedry started working, Hammond suddenly goes, "Hey, I need you to do this now." Nedry responds, "WTF? That's not what we agreed on. That's going to take more time and a lot more money." Hammond tells him, "You'll do all this extra work for the amount we originally agreed on, or I'll start telling all your other clients how E36 M3ty you are and get your name blacklisted." Nedry gets pissed off and goes looking for an opportunity to get paid and preferably stick it to Hammond at the same time.

Hammond only *says* he spared no expense, but he spared a LOT of expenses.

Remember the "slimy" lawyer? He's there because enough poor South American workers are DYING HORRIBLY that the investors are noticing and asking questions.

Yeah, the movie makes Hammond more of a visionary who's just out of his depth. In the book, Hammond is an absolute piece of E36 M3.

I haven't read the book and people often point to Jurassic Park as a rare example of a movie being clearly superior to the book it was based on, but I kind of want to read the un-whitewashed original Jurassic Park now. The movie totally villainizes Nedry and makes Hammond out to be a flawed hero, to the point that it's not clear whether Hammond's being stingy or Nedry's being greedy when they argue about his pay...but Nedry sure goes about it like an shiny happy person with a gambling addiction.

NickD
NickD MegaDork
12/20/23 1:02 p.m.

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork

as with most of Crichton's books its a bit dry, and defintely hasn't aged all that well. I do think this is a case that the movie was better than the book. 

Snickers Meme - Jurassic Park by Dr-Anime on DeviantArt

NickD
NickD MegaDork

BionicTigerShark (Forum Supporter)
BionicTigerShark (Forum Supporter) New Reader
12/20/23 1:05 p.m.

Beer Baron
Beer Baron MegaDork
12/20/23 2:33 p.m.
GameboyRMH said:

I haven't read the book and people often point to Jurassic Park as a rare example of a movie being clearly superior to the book it was based on, but I kind of want to read the un-whitewashed original Jurassic Park now. The movie totally villainizes Nedry and makes Hammond out to be a flawed hero, to the point that it's not clear whether Hammond's being stingy or Nedry's being greedy when they argue about his pay...but Nedry sure goes about it like an shiny happy person with a gambling addiction.

There are still hints in the movie, but it's definitely downplayed:

• The lawyer shows up because investors are pissed off over PEOPLE DYING. Hammond brushes him off.
  • In the tour, he's interacting with the video. This is supposedly what *everyone* is going to watch? No way is he going to host literally *every* tour. it's a smokescreen.
  • He tells the story about his first business being a flea circus. He literally admits to being a con man.
  • As pointed out, he supposed "spared no expense", but has two people in IT that he is obviously underpaying for a massive job, and he gets pissed off when one tells him how underpaid they are. 
  • He's charming with the guests, but short with the employees when he isn't worried about impressing anyone.
chandler
chandler MegaDork
12/20/23 3:01 p.m.

NickD
NickD MegaDork
12/20/23 3:56 p.m.
Beer Baron said:
GameboyRMH said:

There are still hints in the movie, but it's definitely downplayed:

• The lawyer shows up because investors are pissed off over PEOPLE DYING. Hammond brushes him off.
  • In the tour, he's interacting with the video. This is supposedly what *everyone* is going to watch? No way is he going to host literally *every* tour. it's a smokescreen.
  • He tells the story about his first business being a flea circus. He literally admits to being a con man.
  • As pointed out, he supposed "spared no expense", but has two people in IT that he is obviously underpaying for a massive job, and he gets pissed off when one tells him how underpaid they are. 
  • He's charming with the guests, but short with the employees when he isn't worried about impressing anyone.

I seem to recall he's fairly cordial and respectful to Henry Woo in the books, but that's because Woo is the real brains behind creating the dinosaurs and he likely doesn't want to piss him off or cause Woo to leave and take his stuff with him.

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
12/20/23 4:57 p.m.

In reply to BionicTigerShark (Forum Supporter) :

OMG, what if coworkers were pranking her?

fasted58
fasted58 MegaDork
12/20/23 5:35 p.m.

Steve_Jones
Steve_Jones UltraDork
12/20/23 10:58 p.m.

May whatever you celebrate be great, and Happy New Year to most of you :)

David Elfering
David Elfering GRM+ Memberand Reader
12/20/23 11:45 p.m.

Floating Doc (Forum Supporter)
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
12/21/23 12:02 a.m.

RealMiniNoMore (Forum Supporter)
RealMiniNoMore (Forum Supporter) PowerDork
12/21/23 12:26 a.m.

RealMiniNoMore (Forum Supporter)
RealMiniNoMore (Forum Supporter) PowerDork
12/21/23 12:32 a.m.