johndej SuperDork
1/16/24 9:30 a.m.

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
1/16/24 9:41 a.m.

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
1/16/24 9:43 a.m.

I just find it so hypocritical that it's ok to have an opinion as long as it jives with your (not you specifically, the royal you) opinion. Otherwise the vile, hateful language comes out and its ok. I have a small penis and I don't care. There's only one person looking at it and she doesn't seem to mind it. We have to be all inclusive EXCEPT those people. Depending on where you stand those people are different. That's not being inclusive. That's not being open minded. That's being a hypocritical shiny happy person and that goes against my #1 rule for humanity. Don't be an shiny happy person.

Don't be an shiny happy person! Stigma isn't Funny. | by Ali Aoun | Medium

volvoclearinghouse
volvoclearinghouse UltimaDork
1/16/24 9:44 a.m.

May be an image of snowplow and text that says 'Salt trucks spotted in Maryland OLD BAY SEASONING'

No Time
No Time UltraDork
1/16/24 9:46 a.m.

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
1/16/24 9:54 a.m.

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
1/16/24 9:59 a.m.

volvoclearinghouse
1/16/24 10:01 a.m.
GameboyRMH said:
volvoclearinghouse said:

Trying very hard not to get political here, we can't even agree on what the real history is of the times we have lived through. It's quite literally like people are watching different movies on the same screen. And this is for current events. Good luck trying to get anything like consensus for anything that happened a significant period of time in the past. And if it happened so long ago that all the people who witnessed it happen are gone, there will never be anything like the truth of what actually happened. 

In reality, we are all programmed to think a certain way, and we ignore or claim as false any information that contradicts our established norms. 

I really hope this is wrong, I'd hate to think it's impossible to live in a world with an agreed-upon objective reality and trustworthy records of the past beyond living human memories. At this point that would mean "the middle ages never happened" would be a totally reasonable argument and the holocaust would be the next to age out.

I would bet that the percentage of people who claim the holocaust never happened or was exaggerated increases after the last person who was alive in 1945 dies.  

History is written by people.  People are fallible.  People are not omnicient.  People have biases.  

I was in the library the other day letting my kids pick out books, and to pass the time started thumbing through the World Book Encyclopedia set they had there.  It looked so lonesome...like it had never been opened.  I turned to a few articles on subjects I'm knowledgeable about, and found factual inaccuracies, and omitted information that would give context.  A 2 year old "widely respected" encyclopedia gets stuff wrong, leaves out information, and is biased.  How good do you think any other books are?  

Expectations vs Reality Meme: Snowmen

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
1/16/24 10:05 a.m.

volvoclearinghouse
1/16/24 10:09 a.m.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
1/16/24 10:30 a.m.
bobzilla said:

I have a small penis and I don't care.

Then you're not the subject of the meme, are you?  You're one of those bearded gents in the second meme I posted:  you're a man, and an amazing one.

[Incidentally, me too on the penis thing.]

Some people are overcompensating shiny happy people.  Are we not supposed to call people out for being shiny happy people at all?  I'm not saying we should make being an shiny happy person illegal (but boy, there are days I'd sure like to) but do not their actions have consequences?  Act like an shiny happy person, get called an shiny happy person.

There are lots of very stereotypically masculine men who are not shiny happy people.  They are separable things.  But some douchebags either can't or won't understand that.  Those types frequently call themselves alpha males.  Hence the meme.

It's perfectly possible to disagree with every opinion I've ever held, and not be an shiny happy person.  Either I'm not understanding your point, or I'm missing the hypocrisy.  Or both.  That's certainly an option.

67LS1
67LS1 Reader
1/16/24 10:33 a.m.

Toyman!
Toyman! GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/16/24 11:07 a.m.
Duke said:
bobzilla said:

I have a small penis and I don't care.

Then you're not the subject of the meme, are you?  You're one of those bearded gents in the second meme I posted:  you're a man, and an amazing one.

[Incidentally, me too on the penis thing.]

Some people are overcompensating shiny happy people.  Are we not supposed to call people out for being shiny happy people at all?  I'm not saying we should make being an shiny happy person illegal (but boy, there are days I'd sure like to) but do not their actions have consequences?  Act like an shiny happy person, get called an shiny happy person.

There are lots of very stereotypically masculine men who are not shiny happy people.  They are separable things.  But some douchebags either can't or won't understand that.  Those types frequently call themselves alpha males.  Hence the meme.

It's perfectly possible to disagree with every opinion I've ever held, and not be an shiny happy person.  Either I'm not understanding your point, or I'm missing the hypocrisy.  Or both.  That's certainly an option.

I think you are confusing the men who call themselves alpha male with the men who actually are.

ALPHA MALE QUOTES – Fsmstatistics.fm

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/16/24 11:13 a.m.
bobzilla said:

I have a small penis and I don't care. There's only one person looking at it and she doesn't seem to mind it.

You don't look at your own penis?  I look at mine all the time. 

Toyman!
Toyman! GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/16/24 11:26 a.m.

In reply to Stampie :

Spoken like a man who is much skinnier than I am. 

YARN | Hey, Skinny, man. | Hustle & Flow (2005) Crime | Video clips by  quotes | 8f4c88bb | 紗

Duke
Duke MegaDork
1/16/24 11:30 a.m.
Toyman! said:

I think you are confusing the men who call themselves alpha male with the men who actually are.

No, I'm not:

Duke said:

And I think that self-proclaimed "alpha males" should be made fun of in any way possible at every opportunity.

Duke said:

Your meme almost gets it, except that a "true" alpha male doesn't exist.  What your meme describes is a good man; maybe even a great man.  A man who just does what's right and doesn't need to broadcast it to the world.

The entire concept of "alpha male" only exists in the psyches of overcompensating douchebags, because competition for rank is the only dimension they understand.  So they need to inflict themselves and their internal shortcomings on society, instead of quietly leading by example.  Because that wouldn't get them enough attention.

And before someone calls me out for only poking fun at men, here:

Attention Whore: Image Gallery (List View) | Know Your Meme

Women can be attention whores too.  Of course.

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
1/16/24 11:42 a.m.
Duke said:
aircooled said:

In reply to Duke :

Am I wrong or is your post is a weeee bit racist?

I guess you could interpret it a couple of different ways, but they all seem a bit racist to me.  Certainly not saying it was intentional BTW.

I guess if you see it that way, it must be?

I didn't see it that way.

And I think that self-proclaimed "alpha males" should be made fun of in any way possible at every opportunity.

OK then.  I guess I need to explain it.  As a basic summary, in case someone does not want to read the full explanation, the basic point is, this is clearly race based humor and I don't think it's spelled out in the GRM "rules" but:

I am pretty sure GRM does not want race based humor on their board (I could be wrong, but I doubt it).

There is certainly a very large supply of racial based humor out there, much of it, as I assume you are aware, is not pointed at those with pale skin.

So, to explain more:   "Alpha male", traditionally is the dominant leader of a group.   I understand in this case it is meant as a derogatory for the sort of wanabe "dude bro", overly masculine / confident a-hole types, but I am not super familiar with that reference and still think of the original meaning, as I am sure other also do.   

Either way, the implication is either that all dominant leaders are white (clearly untrue and pretty racist), or all overly masculine a-holes are white (also clearly untrue, and pretty racist).

For the second part, it implies all white leaders are racist (which is pretty racist), or all white a-holes types are racist (which, though probably not true, is clearly not much of an issue, they are a-holes).

Also I should note, I am actually a appreciator of offensive style humor, even race based (as long as it's not malicious or mean intentioned).  I just don't think it's a good idea here (no mater the color you are disparaging).

While I clearly noted in my reply that I was not assuming your post was intentionally racist, your comment of my criticism was "I guess if you see it that way, it must be?".  While I was clearly being as conciliatory as possible, yours seems a bit presumptive, and rude.  So you are saying you have no concern about if what you say has any affect on anyone else?  (which sounds a bit like the attitude those "alpha males" have...)

(obligitory meme)

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
1/16/24 11:45 a.m.

And BTW, the various replies, and replies to replies above (including mine of course), are a pretty good example of why:

Maybe we should avoid race based humor.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/16/24 11:47 a.m.
914Driver said:

My grandfather used to board racehorses over the winter. He had the sportiest gig in town. 

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 MegaDork
1/16/24 12:11 p.m.

After reading the last couple of pages, I feel compelled to add the following:

https://external-content.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=https%3A%2F%2Fi.makeagif.com%2Fmedia%2F3-10-2016%2FX7UhPN.gif&f=1&nofb=1&ipt=ee8bcf2331aac6040ab212fab401727cec3e4214ac15dd4d510d0bafd44a979c&ipo=images

RX Reven'
RX Reven' GRM+ Memberand UberDork
1/16/24 12:13 p.m.

...and then there's the fundamental issue of the alpha male concept being debunked.

It traces back to a study of wolves that were held in captivity and the behavior hasn't been observed in the wild.

The original author of the study has spent years trying to bury the myth unsuccessfully.

IFL Science - December 2, 2022  

Alpha Male? Oh, You Mean Douchebag right? T-Shirts | LookHUMAN

Duke
Duke MegaDork
1/16/24 12:18 p.m.

In reply to aircooled :

As I said before, I didn't particularly see it as racist, but if you did, then it is.  That's not meant to be rude or presumptive.  It's meant to be taken at face value.  If someone found it racist, then it is racist.  It does after all imply relevance to a specific race.  It's also sexist, by that same implication. 

Though I don't particularly associate all leaders with "alpha" status.  This is ably demonstrated by Toyman's meme.

So I see no particular way forward for discussing specific groups without it being considered something-ist.

I guess we should all go back to criticizing airline food for humor.  Except airline food doesn't really exist any more, does it?  And if it did, that would be something-ist, because it's singling out a particular failing.  Hey, everybody, I mean what's up with those 10mm sockets?

Oh, well.  I accept your criticism and will drop it now.

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
1/16/24 12:29 p.m.
Stampie said:
bobzilla said:

I have a small penis and I don't care. There's only one person looking at it and she doesn't seem to mind it.

You don't look at your own penis?  I look at mine all the time. 

I would if I could. 

I gots the dicky do disease My belly sticks out further than my dicky do -  Hairless Cat Meme Generator

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
1/16/24 12:30 p.m.
Duke said:

In reply to aircooled :

As I said before, I didn't particularly see it as racist, but if you did, then it is.  That's not meant to be rude or presumptive.  It's meant to be taken at face value.  If someone found it racist, then it is racist.  It does after all imply relevance to a specific race.  It's also sexist, by that same implication. 

Though I don't particularly associate all leaders with "alpha" status.  This is ably demonstrated by Toyman's meme.

So I see no particular way forward for discussing specific groups without it being considered something-ist.

I guess we should all go back to criticizing airline food for humor.  Except airline food doesn't really exist any more, does it?  And if it did, that would be something-ist, because it's singling out a particular failing.  Hey, everybody, I mean what's up with those 10mm sockets?

Oh, well.  I accept your criticism and will drop it now.

The problem is it's right in the meme. "They're all white, bitter ...." When you bring in color of skin into an insult that is racism. 

Steve_Jones
Steve_Jones UltraDork
1/16/24 12:31 p.m.

Damn, now I'm in the mood for these

1 ... 1475 1476 1477 1478 1479 ... 1736

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
YlBqyFNobFx9M7NtCzR6OOD8qWqX1jWSMa8Iies4LEkpdN6ZxrNTH4Fu2jqkZqwo