1 ... 1691 1692 1693 1694 1695 ... 1733
Toyman!
Toyman! GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/14/24 1:37 p.m.
Noddaz said:

I saw this over on Faceplant.

Hmm, boats run something similar to cut weeds and line in front of the prop. I wonder if that would work to keep weed from wrapping around the driveshaft in an off-road truck.

Shaft Shark Line Cutter

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/14/24 2:20 p.m.
No Time said:
Duke said:

In reply to Toyman! :

I just saw an ad recommending sending videos instead of long(ish) emails.

If I have to watch a video to get information I could just read, I can't absorb it any faster than it is presented.  And it's much harder to replay selected parts than it is to just glance back to an earlier sentence for confirmation.

I can't search for it now, but I thought I read somewhere that people can absorb written info much faster than audio or video. 

I hate the video  online trainings companies put together for mandatory compliance training. Let me read the transcript and take the quiz, I'll be done in half the time and retain more. 

You're doing it wrong.  Daydream through the training as slow as possible and milk getting paid by the hour while making the man happy.  

preach
preach GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
8/14/24 2:31 p.m.
Toyman! said:

I got a compound fracture to the first knuckle of my right ring finger. I wrapped it in duct tape and took a year and a half to heal.

Define "normal" and "zero"...

Toyman!
8/14/24 2:32 p.m.
Stampie said:
No Time said:
Duke said:

In reply to Toyman! :

If I have to watch a video to get information I could just read, I can't absorb it any faster than it is presented.  And it's much harder to replay selected parts than it is to just glance back to an earlier sentence for confirmation.

I can't search for it now, but I thought I read somewhere that people can absorb written info much faster than audio or video. 

I hate the video  online trainings companies put together for mandatory compliance training. Let me read the transcript and take the quiz, I'll be done in half the time and retain more. 

You're doing it wrong.  Daydream through the training as slow as possible and milk getting paid by the hour while making the man happy.  

That doesn't work for me. OSHA 10 training cost me $2000 in wages for zero return. I wouldn't mind if it was actually worthwhile training, but it's not, so it's a complete waste of time and money.

Sorry, forgot the meme again. 

I'll Just Wait Here Meme - Imgflip

volvoclearinghouse
volvoclearinghouse UltimaDork
8/14/24 3:10 p.m.
No Time said:
Duke said:

In reply to Toyman! :

My company's online trainings offer options for various bandwidths.  If I pick the lowest bandwidth it usually jettisons the video portions for printed screens.  

nderwater
nderwater MegaDork
8/14/24 3:30 p.m.

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/14/24 3:40 p.m.

In reply to Toyman! :

Not trying to start anything but as it's your choice to own a business then the required training is just part of the cost of running said business.  I agree training is stupid.  I did biannual training that was required by the state of Florida for 10 years.  I had all the answers memorized including the 3 wrong answers that they never fixed. 

Toyman!
8/14/24 3:48 p.m.
Stampie said:

In reply to Toyman! :

Not trying to start anything but as it's your choice to own a business then the required training is just part of the cost of running said business.  I agree training is stupid.  I did biannual training that was required by the state of Florida for 10 years.  I had all the answers memorized including the 3 wrong answers that they never fixed. 

I don't require training. Government contractors do because the government does. If I want my tax money back, I have to comply with the requirements. That means having my people do the training. 

Of course, as with all the money the government takes from me, I double it and charge it right back to them. That doesn't make it any less stupid and wasteful. 

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
8/14/24 3:55 p.m.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/14/24 4:03 p.m.

For all those of you sitting through required and pointless videos. You might have to learn something to implement this, but hey, it'll be more useful than "never stop a chainsaw with your hand".

document.querySelector("video").playbackRate=10

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
8/14/24 4:18 p.m.

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
8/14/24 4:18 p.m.

RealMiniNoMore (Forum Supporter)
RealMiniNoMore (Forum Supporter) PowerDork
8/14/24 5:34 p.m.

Are we still doing break dancing? 

NickD
NickD MegaDork
8/14/24 6:03 p.m.

llysgennad
llysgennad HalfDork
8/14/24 6:22 p.m.

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
8/14/24 6:25 p.m.
Stampie said:

In reply to Toyman! :

My state mandated training when I worked in a group home was similar. I had it so memorized that I would do something like 14 hours of training in under an hour. It got to the point I wasn't allowed to fast forward the videos anymore because they thought I was cheating. Nope. Sorry. Memorized it all. 

Toyman!
8/14/24 6:59 p.m.

In reply to Mndsm :

OSHA 10 won't allow you to fast forward. It also asked you to click a box several times during each video to prove that you haven't died of boredom or fallen asleep.

Wally (Forum Supporter)
Wally (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/14/24 8:21 p.m.

P3PPY
P3PPY GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
8/14/24 8:22 p.m.
Toyman! said:

Im in a meeting right now mandatory video is on and for no good reason I start laughing. Shouldnt have read this one I guess, ha!

P3PPY
8/14/24 8:24 p.m.
Duke said:

Poop. I really need to stop reading this thread right now. Someone is sharing a sad thing and I am CLEARLY suppressing a smile.

P3PPY
8/14/24 8:34 p.m.
Toyman! said:
Stampie said:
No Time said:
Duke said:

In reply to Toyman! :

That doesn't work for me. OSHA 10 training cost me $2000 in wages for zero return. I wouldn't mind if it was actually worthwhile training, but it's not, so it's a complete waste of time and money.

Sorry, forgot the meme again. 

I'll Just Wait Here Meme - Imgflip

Wife had a required video training once that allowed no speeding up and required keyboard input to progress. I was working on something else kinda mindless at the time so I told her to go find something fun to do and I opened up the quiz on her computer, opened Audacity on that computer to record the onboard audio, hit the space key to make it progress as needed and then played it back for her on high speed and she answered the quiz with flying colors. Technical limits can kiss my butt.

Toyman!
8/14/24 8:39 p.m.

I really need to remember this. 

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
8/14/24 8:40 p.m.
914Driver said:

Mmmm, forbidden Gatorade.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/14/24 8:57 p.m.

In reply to Toyman! :

In all my years of offroad rallying I only got plant matter caught in a driveshaft once, it was a good-sized stick through a U-joint that wouldn't have been cut off by a sawblade. I got grass mysteriously caught in a tire bead the same number of times.

Legendary offroad meme:

Floating Doc (Forum Supporter)
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
8/14/24 9:00 p.m.

1 ... 1691 1692 1693 1694 1695 ... 1733

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
JHFgfw9tI3J1sgdTzDVuALeDUCISgBEHtlUEgty1Qucs5xvoydeUWDO3hWNtxubp