1 ... 420 421 422 423 424 ... 1742
bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
1/10/21 10:24 a.m.

There's no surprise where the owners lie in the political spectrum. Doesn't make me love them less because we believe differently. We're all people with a common interest that just fall on different sides of the political spectrum. I also know my opinions are not popular here and thats fine.

Image may contain: 1 person, meme, text that says 'FROM THE CREATOR OF OFFICE SPACE MIKE JUDGE DIOCRACY LUKE WILSON IT WAS MEANT TO BE A COMEDY,'

Duke
Duke MegaDork
1/10/21 10:25 a.m.

In reply to AAZCD (Forum Supporter) :

As a 10-year subscriber, I don't even get that. 

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/10/21 10:33 a.m.

Brian(formerly neon4891)
Brian(formerly neon4891) MegaDork
1/10/21 11:25 a.m.

Brian(formerly neon4891)
Brian(formerly neon4891) MegaDork
1/10/21 11:31 a.m.

side topic, I like pie. 

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa UltraDork
1/10/21 11:50 a.m.

Pete. (l33t FS)
1/10/21 12:04 p.m.
Brian(formerly neon4891) said:

side topic, I like pie. 

Heh.  One way to instigate a "heated discussion" is the topic of pizza, specifically which is better: NY style sauced napkins or Chicago style cheese casseroles.

What's funny about this scene, that I never noticed until I watched the CinemaWins movie review, is that when they are approaching the screaming nude woman, their angle of view from the War Rig was forward, not upward.  Tom Hardy is looking and pointing upwards because this scene would be a great Internet meme, referring to a quoted troll comment.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
1/10/21 12:24 p.m.
Pete. (l33t FS) said:

side topic, I like pie. 

Heh.  One way to instigate a "heated discussion" is the topic of pizza, specifically which is better: NY style sauced napkins or Chicago style cheese casseroles.

Trick question.  All pizza is amazing.  There is no right or wrong answer. 

barefootskater (Shaun)
barefootskater (Shaun) UberDork
1/10/21 12:28 p.m.

In reply to ProDarwin :

I generally agree, with one glaring exception. Mushrooms are fungus. If folks want to use them for recreational purposes that's one thing, but trying to pass them off as food is just a lie. I'll hear no argument on this. 

Pete. (l33t FS)
1/10/21 12:41 p.m.

In reply to barefootskater (Shaun), ProDarwin :

Guys, guys!  It was an example of a troll comment!  Don't go there!

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
1/10/21 1:05 p.m.

C'mon, it says no politics right in the title; please don't get this locked.

stanger_mussle (Forum Supporter)
stanger_mussle (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
1/10/21 1:13 p.m.

Politics in the meme thread?

Indy "Nub" Guy
Indy "Nub" Guy PowerDork
1/10/21 1:17 p.m.
Duke said:

In reply to Indy "Nub" Guy :

If you are tolerating things that align with your opinions, and not tolerating things that don't, is that really hypocrisy?  Assuming you have a presence on Facebook, are you hypocritical for deleting or hiding the posts that you don't like?

This forum is private property.

Is Mother Jones hypocritical for having a decidedly leftist slant?  Is The National Review hypocritical for having a rightist slant?

GRM is not a news magazine but it is 100% owned and operated by the Suddard family, who by all outward appearances are card-carrying, dyed-in-the-wool, party-line Democrats.  If they use the platform they've created to allow or support causes, information, and even humor they believe in, why is it hypocritical to prevent its use in ways they don't support?

While it may make excellent business sense to avoid having their politics affect what is and isn't tolerated by their editorial staff, the Suddards are under no obligation to do so.

We are also under no obligation to tolerate it... unless we choose to use their forum.

It seriously pissed me off when they asked for money to support the forum and then almost immediately donated money to the Southern Poverty Law Center.  That was their decision and that bordered on hypocrisy, although I understand their reasons for doing so.  It's also the reason that while I am a magazine subscriber, you will never see a Forum Supporter tag after my name.  I will still take from and contribute to the members of this forum with information and social interaction, and in agreeing to do so I agree to accept the way the Suddards run their forum.  But I will not give our hosts my money here.  They make their decisions; I make mine.

No, I do not have a Book of Faces account.  Deleted that one years ago when Snowden revealed the NSA trickery. So I got out before it became as toxic as it (apparently) is today.

The observed hypocrisy is from the "absolutely no politics" statement, when in reality what is enforced is "no politics that don't align with our politics" 

The reason you stated (plus two other examples that pre-date the donation) prevent me from ever becoming a forum supporter too.

And yes, they are hosting this party at their house, so when it becomes too much, we will have no other choice but to leave and go party elsewhere.  If that day comes, it will be sad.

Brett_Murphy (Ex-Patrón)
Brett_Murphy (Ex-Patrón) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/10/21 1:39 p.m.

The moderators of the forum don't get paid for doing what they do, and it sometimes takes them a bit of time to clean things up. If you *really* want to get their attention regarding something that you think is political, post in the moderator assistance thread and then see if they delete it or not. That will show a bias.

It'll also make you a narc.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
1/10/21 1:53 p.m.
ProDarwin said:
Pete. (l33t FS) said:

side topic, I like pie. 

Trick question.  All pizza is amazing.  There is no right or wrong answer. 

To add to that

Floating Doc (Forum Supporter)
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UberDork
1/10/21 2:19 p.m.

repost. Don't care.

Wally (Forum Supporter)
Wally (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/10/21 3:41 p.m.

In reply to wheelsmithy (Joe-with-an-L) (Forum Supporter) :

I don't follow Star Trek so I'm a bit lost anyway but WTF?  

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa UltraDork
1/10/21 3:47 p.m.

In reply to Wally (Forum Supporter) :

Its the autopilot from Airplane!

Wally (Forum Supporter)
Wally (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/10/21 3:55 p.m.

In reply to Mr_Asa :

I know who Otto is, the OCC one with Mitochondria stored in the balls lost me 

1 ... 420 421 422 423 424 ... 1742

You'll need to log in to post.