3/20/21 8:39 a.m.

Wally (Forum Supporter)
Wally (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/20/21 8:39 a.m.

eastsideTim
eastsideTim PowerDork
3/20/21 8:42 a.m.

In reply to Wally (Forum Supporter) :

This seems an appropriate response to posting that last one.

barefootskater (Shaun)
barefootskater (Shaun) PowerDork
3/20/21 9:00 a.m.
Wally (Forum Supporter) said:

Hot damn, Wally. That's my kind of humor. 

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
3/20/21 11:10 a.m.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
3/20/21 11:11 a.m.

NickD
NickD MegaDork
3/20/21 3:04 p.m.

In reply to Appleseed :

Holy smokes. You and Wally in a competition here?

NickD
NickD MegaDork
3/20/21 3:05 p.m.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
3/20/21 4:12 p.m.

In reply to NickD :

There are some I will not post. I have limits. I laughed. Hard.  But I have limits. 

Wally (Forum Supporter)
3/20/21 4:41 p.m.

In reply to Appleseed :

Same here, they get much worse. 

ultraclyde (Forum Supporter)
ultraclyde (Forum Supporter) UltimaDork
3/20/21 4:57 p.m.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
3/20/21 5:00 p.m.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
3/20/21 5:02 p.m.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
3/20/21 5:02 p.m.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
3/20/21 5:03 p.m.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
3/20/21 5:03 p.m.

ShawnG
ShawnG UltimaDork
3/20/21 5:25 p.m.
Appleseed said:

So much truth right here...

Wally (Forum Supporter)
3/20/21 5:28 p.m.

In reply to Appleseed :

Pretty much 

Lee
Lee UberDork
3/20/21 6:13 p.m.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
3/20/21 7:03 p.m.

matthewmcl (Forum Supporter)
matthewmcl (Forum Supporter) HalfDork
3/20/21 8:31 p.m.

In reply to Lee :

Man, I had a scare like that once.  I was following down to get to a leaking water shutoff and I look down and see one of those 1 1/2" diameter cables sheared off with all of those phone line wires hanging out.  I figured I was screwed.  Nope, phone company had changed their routing years back and gone a different direction out of their box to connect to new equipment.  They just left the old, sheared off, cable still in the ground because, you guessed it, it was too close to existing water lines to try to pull out.

Lee
Lee UberDork
3/20/21 10:56 p.m.

In reply to matthewmcl (Forum Supporter) :

So this is one of my research sites, see that telecom box kind of in the foreground, bottom left?  You see that post with the solar panel on it?  Guess what we found when we augered the hole for that post...

Didn't cut anything, thankfully they've got a fairly tough outer jacket.  If I'd moved the auger just 4-6" to the right, it would have probably been a different story.

The farmer that owns that field told us there wasn't anything to worry about.  He maintains the ditches along his fields, instead of relying on the county.  He told us no one knew where anything was buried out there, he'd called 811 in the past, and not gotten any answers.  We knew there were phone lines, but it's rural eastern AR, so there's no gas, water, or power to worry about.  I think the farmer was hoping we'd find the phone lines for him. laugh

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
3/20/21 11:01 p.m.

In reply to matthewmcl (Forum Supporter) :

Imagine that except with a 4400 power line. And it was live. Power company cheated and kiddie cornered through a farm feild where they should never have been. I should be dead.

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa UltraDork
3/20/21 11:54 p.m.
Lee said:

I was stationed in Ali Al Salem, Kuwait during the annual rainy months, which means spring and fairly cold nights.  Around the base at most you have 8-10 inches of loose sand, then it turns into hard pack.  Water doesn't drain at all.  The flightline was at the bottom of a hill, most of the rest of the base was at the top of the hill, you didn't get water into your tent, but if you had to drive around the flightline you better be comfortable mudding.

Security Forces (Air Force version of MPs) didn't like mudding, some Sgt called his Chief, Chief called his Capt, Capt called the squadron commander.  Civil boys got called out and told to get a trencher and cut a drainage ditch now.

You all see where this is going.  Did I mention that the communication equipment and communication squadron (my cohorts and I) were at the top of the hill?  Somewhere around 8-9PM the trencher sheared straight through the fiber optic cable that connected the flightline to the rest of the world.  Everyone got woken up.  Everyone.

Somewhere I have pictures of guys waist deep in this trench filled with freezing muddy water as they tried to get the fiber connected properly.  Finally got it up and running and had planes flying by the next morning.  16 hours for the full field repair, then another couple months while they did the proper repairs.

1 ... 492 493 494 495 496 ... 1737

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
3GLudlXsLwW63tgIGOH6gr62VLFGSnWK1CuAx9dL7p1TJPZWCLRpHhMaObhos4bo