In reply to Stefan (Forum Supporter) :

Mother of Jod, that bothers me so much.

Beer Baron
Beer Baron MegaDork
9/22/21 12:59 p.m.
tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
9/22/21 2:05 p.m.

May be an image of text that says '●... VERIZON LTE 10:50 AM 75% Messages 867-5309 Details Hi, is this Jenny? Yes, who is this? You, don't know me but| got your number off a wall. It said for a good time should call. Ugh, I wish they'd remove that! It was 1981, it's been 36 years!! I'm not like that any more! Oh, sorry.... ...well are you at least single? No, I'm married to Jesse, I'm his girl now and we've been together since '81 and we have a daughter, Stacy Text Messaga'

Ian F (Forum Supporter)
Ian F (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
9/22/21 2:30 p.m.

llysgennad
llysgennad Reader
9/22/21 3:06 p.m.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
9/22/21 3:55 p.m.

In reply to Beer Baron :

lol @ gackass

Ian F (Forum Supporter)
9/22/21 5:49 p.m.

Floating Doc (Forum Supporter)
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
9/22/21 7:14 p.m.

johndej
johndej Dork
9/22/21 7:51 p.m.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/22/21 7:53 p.m.
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) said:

That's what I call a murder hornet!

llysgennad
llysgennad Reader
9/22/21 9:28 p.m.

Floating Doc (Forum Supporter)
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
9/22/21 10:13 p.m.

Toyman01 + Sized and
Toyman01 + Sized and GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/23/21 5:20 a.m.

Toyman01 + Sized and
Toyman01 + Sized and GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/23/21 5:53 a.m.

NickD
NickD MegaDork
9/23/21 6:43 a.m.

Funny story, I was that Miata. A local track that uses the whole exclusive country club model kept classing my Miata in increasingly uncompetitive classes in their homebrewed time attack cup and adding all sorts of entry fees and charges to non-members. Unofficially, the story is that all the heart doctors and lawyers and rich club members in their Porsches were peeved that I, a blue-collar non-member, was beating them with my homebuilt Miata. The last year I ran they had me in the same class as a 911 GT3 Cup Car and that the owner imported.

Beer Baron
Beer Baron MegaDork
9/23/21 7:33 a.m.
NickD said:

Funny story, I was that Miata. A local track that uses the whole exclusive country club model kept classing my Miata in increasingly uncompetitive classes in their homebrewed time attack cup and adding all sorts of entry fees and charges to non-members. Unofficially, the story is that all the heart doctors and lawyers and rich club members in their Porsches were peeved that I, a blue-collar non-member, was beating them with my homebuilt Miata. The last year I ran they had me in the same class as a 911 GT3 Cup Car and that the owner imported.

Hahaha! I've been there a couple times. At HPDE's, I got pleasure out of catching Evos.

After we put my dad's 99 Miata together and got it sorted, we took it to a PCA autocross. I was on course and a guy in a $100k+ Carrera Turbo was giving my dad a good-natured ribbing. "Good that you have something to get out here, but eventually you'll have to get yourself a *real* car." I crossed the finish line. My time was called. My dad looks the guy in the face and says, "That's funny, because I think my car is already three seconds faster than your's."

My dad later balled it up at Laguna Seca.

60 Miata MEMES ideas in 2021 | miata, mazda miata, top miata

ShawnG
ShawnG UltimaDork
9/23/21 9:23 a.m.

In reply to NickD :

Same thing happened with my old Trans-Am.

I got invited to a Jaguar club autocross because they wanted some brand-X cars to beat up on.

I showed up with a 2nd gen F-body made of 9C1 caprice bits, solid bushings, welded subframe connectors and all the circle track goodies I could buy shoved under it.

The other drivers were surprised that someone was changing tires for their event.

I still have the FTD trophy from that somewhere but I've never been invited back.

NickD
NickD MegaDork
9/23/21 9:29 a.m.
Beer Baron said:
NickD said:

Hahaha! I've been there a couple times. At HPDE's, I got pleasure out of catching Evos.

After we put my dad's 99 Miata together and got it sorted, we took it to a PCA autocross. I was on course and a guy in a $100k+ Carrera Turbo was giving my dad a good-natured ribbing. "Good that you have something to get out here, but eventually you'll have to get yourself a *real* car." I crossed the finish line. My time was called. My dad looks the guy in the face and says, "That's funny, because I think my car is already three seconds faster than your's."

Also reminds me of the guy we had in our area who was a European tarmac rally champion. Damn good driver, very fast, liked to drive his cars a little loose. He had a really hairy E92 M3 coupe with the DCT, and he had paid for all 8400rpm so, by God, he was going to use every last one of those RPMs and maybe a few more. Our SCCA region knew the guy and knew that he knows what he is doing, but he scared the bejeezus out of people new to our region or when we did out of region events. 

I'm at a Southern NY event, and in rolls Takis and his wife with the E92 M3. It's a tiny little parking lot autocross, and he's drifting the entire lot every single run, that S65 V8 screaming away. One of the autocross diehards looks at someone and goes "You know, if he would stop sliding that thing around so much, he'd be a lot faster." I pull up live timing on my phone and go "He already is first in FTD and PAX, how much more do you want him to beat you?" 

Hmm, this makes me think we need a "Cool racing story" thread. In fact, how do we not have one of those yet?

Ian F (Forum Supporter)
9/23/21 9:29 a.m.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/23/21 9:30 a.m.

My local Corvette club has about 37 autox classes for Corvettes, and the catchall "metal cars" - aka, cars with bodies that aren't made of plastic and glue :) There have been times when my 148 rwhp metal car had FTD by 2 seconds, they just pretend it doesn't exist and celebrate the winning Corvette.

And now for something completely different.

mtn
mtn MegaDork
9/23/21 9:40 a.m.
Beer Baron said:
NickD said:

My dad later balled it up at Laguna Seca.

60 Miata MEMES ideas in 2021 | miata, mazda miata, top miata

Friend of mine had a somewhat similar experience. He had campaigned an FD RX7, then a Boxster, then a Z06 and is now back in a Porsche of some sort, IIRC. His daily driver was a Miata on an FM suspension for probably 10 years. This guy is a superb driver. Trophied numerous times at nationals, and is consistently in the top 10 for one of the more competitive regions in the country. 

Anyway, he told me he went to one PCA event in his Boxster, with a for sale sign on it. His friend came in a then-new C5 Z06. They were trading the top 2 spots, before they were asked by the PCA folks to tone it down, they were hitting too many cones! Seriously, they were told to stop hitting cones or they'd be asked to leave. I think the PCA folks were just annoyed that they were getting their butts whipped by an ox-cart and a Boxster that both kept getting penalties. 

Beer Baron
Beer Baron MegaDork
9/23/21 10:18 a.m.
mtn said:

Anyway, he told me he went to one PCA event in his Boxster, with a for sale sign on it. His friend came in a then-new C5 Z06. They were trading the top 2 spots, before they were asked by the PCA folks to tone it down, they were hitting too many cones! Seriously, they were told to stop hitting cones or they'd be asked to leave. I think the PCA folks were just annoyed that they were getting their butts whipped by an ox-cart and a Boxster that both kept getting penalties. 

This PCA club was actually really cool and the vast majority of people were great and friendly. The ribbing of non-Porsche's was really good natured.

I couldn't hear while I was driving, but apparently on my runs the announcer was like, "Okay. Everybody watch how he's doing this, because that is what it's supposed to look like."

Also helped that the course layout REALLY favored the Miata and hindered anything 911. The middle of the course was a decreasing-radius figure 8. I was able to come in hot and play with throttle position to pick the rear up, swing it around, and plant it back down completely under control in the way that a rear-engined car could not.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
9/23/21 11:05 a.m.

A very long time ago, like 1983 ish, the Saskatoon sports Car Club hosted the local Corvette club at one of our events.  Lindsay Rose, in his Healey 3000H, on 20 year old Michelin 165-15s mounted on wire wheels beat all of them except the woman that showed up on slicks.

Car club guys are not always the fastest...

1 ... 682 683 684 685 686 ... 1728

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Nsdrpem792nseyD9XfxK3FYd2lZjASA1JCyPr1QWJ7Cj9pgZuKAOW3uAPnspclsf